CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by xharleyx View Post
    i got the pipe at lowes in the plumbing section. it's galvanized gas pipe. i used 1/2" for the shaft of the strut and 3/4" for the eyelets, the catch is, i used the stock rubber bushings out of the stock shocks. ground them down a little bit with a grinder but they slid right in, so i have rubber mounted struts now lol.

nice. i will probably end up doing this very very soon.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by choncho View Post
    Lowes has awsome hardware assortment. Spend 10 minutes looking in all the drawers by fasteners, they got alot of useful shit
    I think HDepot caught onto this - my local one now has a much better "drawer selection". Seems pretty similar to Lowe's with a bigger selection, better organization, etc. Used to be crappy drawers (as opposed to crap-filled drawers . . . ? ) full of mismatched nuts and bolts. viva el competicion!

Get Adobe Flash player

I made a killer oil cooler from 10' of 1/2 inch copper tubing..coiled it up and mounted it under the transmission...you can't see it and it drops oil temp....amazing..copper conducts heat much better than aluminum..

Get Adobe Flash player

Lowe's has these steel spacer things in the hardware pull out drawers with the bolts. They're chrome plated and have them in 3/4" ID and they work perfect for wheel spacers. And they're CHEAP. Damn I need a lathe

Get Adobe Flash player

I tend to head to Lowes, just because it is walking distance from my house (and they have a half decent selection of metric bolts for my '06 Triumph) but when I need something a little obscure, I head to either McFadden Dale (who have everything but factory only and whitworth) or Meade's Hardware here in Las Vegas. They've been open here for 50 years or better, and they are great when you need some kind of off the wall fittings to configure something. McFadden Dale is the shit, though. Was turned on to them by Dragstews while he was still here in Vegas. One of many useful things I learned hanging out at his shop here.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ace is where it's at.

Only once have they made to head to the internets to find an odd bolt. Dang FXR shift pedal attachment bolts.

the lowes here doesnt have much of a hardware section unless you like hotdip galvanized stuff. We dont have a Home Depot,we do have a very good tractor Supply! And Williams Tru Value cant forget them,its an old timey style hardware store,got a lot of everything. They have an extensive fasteners section and if ya cant find it anywhere else (cept the internet) they will order it for you just so you can get a look at it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Not "Lowes or HD" but Ebay kicks ass for stainless steel hardware in cheap small bulk packs. It's mostly made offshore anyway so ya might as well cut out the chain store in between and have lots of "bench stock" on hand. I pretty much stopped using hardware store brass fittings because stainless is cheaper via Ebay. Lots of surplus US-made hardware too.

BTW if you weld galvanized pipe or other parts do NOT breathe the zinc fumes.

Tractor Supply has a great pay by the pound hardware section with SAE grade 2, 5, and 8 nuts, nylock nuts, bolts, and washers. No fine thread stuff in the bulk section though. For twenty bucks you can get a shit ton of hardware there.

Not to step on CC's dick, but jockey journal has a killer 10pg thread on McMaster parts for motorcycle use

Get Adobe Flash player

Back in 2009 when this thread was posted it ruled.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm in NYC for a few days, looking for SAE nuts and bolts for motorcycle use, want to buy a bunch of all sizes (asssortment boxes maybe?) 'cause in Europe they're hard to come by.

I tried several hardware store yet with no luck, either they have small packages only or very few choices.

Anybody can recommend me a place to go?

Get Adobe Flash player

Second here on Tractor Supply for most stuff. Use to have a scrap metal yard that would let you prowl but that seems to be gone by the wayside everywhere in the litigious USA. Fastenal is expensive but the place to go for that really oddball gotta have nut/bolt/screw/fastener.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm also gonna agree on Tractor Supply. I got quite a bit of sheet metal there for my last bike. Plus they have tools, welders and all kinds of other good shit.

Get Adobe Flash player

MacGyver tip of the day:

Industrial ANSI Roller Chain (can be purchased at any decent farm store) #50 steel chain is the same pitch & width as 530 chain (5/8" x 3/8").
    The cost is a fraction of a motorcycle chain price. You can get enough for two motorcycle chains for 20-50 bucks.
    Most tensile strength of 530 chain is around 7400 to 9000 lbs. Industrial Roller chain #50 has 7,200 lb strength. So it's not quite as strong... also, #50 generally doesn't have x or o rings to keep dirt out which effects longevity or requires more maintenance
    But at that cost, in a pinch, it can save your day.

I learned this from my buddy that just rode from SLC to Canada to SLC to Kansas and back to SLC on his #50 roller chain.
    I found the tensile strength and lack of X/O rings by reading into it online.

Get Adobe Flash player

Elekvins:

I suggest looking for industrial suppliers suck as Fastenal. They are a bit high but they stock bulk and they've got fine threaded fasteners and ALL METAL FINE THREAD LOCK NUTS which you want a shitload of for obvious reasons.

They also have the good adhesive-lined industrial heat shrink tubing.

https://www.fastenal.com/locations

The industrial chain tip is very good and very old. The rating difference doesn't mean shit. Chain wears out and rarely breaks. I'd run industrial chain with no worries.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Elekvins:

I suggest looking for industrial suppliers suck as Fastenal. They are a bit high but they stock bulk and they've got fine threaded fasteners and ALL METAL FINE THREAD LOCK NUTS which you want a shitload of for obvious reasons.

They also have the good adhesive-lined industrial heat shrink tubing.

https://www.fastenal.com/locations

The industrial chain tip is very good and very old. The rating difference doesn't mean shit. Chain wears out and rarely breaks. I'd run industrial chain with no worries.
    Hey Farmall, I am considering going that route with the chain, what chain grease do you use? I assume that kind of lube technology has advanced so it does not fly off the chain at speed?

Share This