Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • corneilius
    • Aug 2009

1975 Ironhead build

Got this bike a week or two ago and figure i should start a thread since im gonna rebuild it. Dude before me said he bored it over. Its late so ill post some pictures manyana.
  • corneilius
    • Aug 2009

Issues

So i finally found some time to take some pictures of the bike to put up. I need everyones help i found a little, boo-boo perhaps. I want to know what to do about it. Seems to be a dent in the frame above the top motor mount. Inspect the pictures please and let me know what you think.
    Attached Files

Comment

• IvanRoachCoach
      • Aug 2011

If the two sections of the frame backbone on either side of that dent look straight & level to each other, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
      It looks like a wedge or piece of tubing was placed there and whacked with a hammer or mallet.
      Some previous jackass owner may have just "clearanced" it for running some oddball gas tank/petcock combo.
      IH frames are fucking TOUGH --- it takes a lot of abuse to bend or distort one to the point of making the bike dangerous to ride.

The one thing that ironheads absolutely require is to be ridden OFTEN.
      They don't do well sitting around too long --- the crankcase tends to "wet sump" when, over a period of time ranging from weeks to months, the force of gravity forces motor oil in the tank to seep past the oil pump's check-ball.
      You look in the oil tank, see that it's low & top it off.
      When you crank over the motor, that oil-filled crankcase starts to vent 60-weight all over your garage floor as it begins to regurgitate the excess.
      This can happen even if you have a new check-ball that's been freshly seated into the orifice at the front of the oil pump body.
      It's just the nature of the beast.

Comment

• MileHighMurdercycle
        • Dec 2009

That's how you know it is an AMF!! It is from the factory. To keep the fuel line from getting pinched when the tank is mounted, or wire harness clearance, I have heard both stories. But all AMF frames have that, and it is done at the factory, so don't sweat. Just tear that bitch apart and have fun!

Comment

• MileHighMurdercycle
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by IvanRoachCoach
          If the two sections of the frame backbone on either side of that dent look straight & level to each other, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
          It looks like a wedge or piece of tubing was placed there and whacked with a hammer or mallet.
          Some previous jackass owner may have just "clearanced" it for running some oddball gas tank/petcock combo.
          IH frames are fucking TOUGH --- it takes a lot of abuse to bend or distort one to the point of making the bike dangerous to ride.

The one thing that ironheads absolutely require is to be ridden OFTEN.
          They don't do well sitting around too long --- the crankcase tends to "wet sump" when, over a period of time ranging from weeks to months, the force of gravity forces motor oil in the tank to seep past the oil pump's check-ball.
          You look in the oil tank, see that it's low & top it off.
          When you crank over the motor, that oil-filled crankcase starts to vent 60-weight all over your garage floor as it begins to regurgitate the excess.
          This can happen even if you have a new check-ball that's been freshly seated into the orifice at the front of the oil pump body.
          It's just the nature of the beast.
          And this is the truth on the oil thing. Always start it and let it run till warm, then shut it down and let it cool about 2 minutes before checking your oil level. This gives it time to cycle again, and get out of the sump. If it still does it while running you need to replace the check valve. Make sure you don't over fill it, it get's messy real quick.

Comment

• corneilius
            • Aug 2009

Wow thanks guys. I thought i was gonna have to get a new frame. Hoping to have it in all 37.25 pieces tomorrow morning. So more pictures tomorrow evening! Also if anyone is from st. louis, i need a powder coater!!!

Comment

• corneilius
              • Aug 2009

this is taking forever

So i have gained a little more ground. found that the shift linkage shaft is bent and it will be difficult to remove, i guess i could just cut the end off and take it out. Anyone know a place to get new bearings/bushings for the swing arm? Its gonna need them.
              Attached Files

Comment

• doppleganger87
                • Dec 2010

damn that engine looks good though!!did you scrub it with something??

Comment

• Hutch
                  • Sep 2009

Looks like a good start so far. What are your plans for it? Swingarm chop? Hardtail?
                  As far as bushings and bearings go, I always have good look with Sporty Specialties out in CA, good luck looking forward to seeing this come together.

Comment

• gyro
                    • Oct 2010

whats up man you should have brought that to my house for christmas and stuck it in my garage. fuck yeah man looks like its gonna be cool. I would hard tail it if I were you. let me know if you want those old odd shaped bars that came off your 650 they are hanging on the wall in my garage.

And don't do like Tyler and take the motor apart and lose interest and drop it off at a shop and never go get it back.

Comment

• gyro
                      • Oct 2010

If your still planning a trip out here the Denver swap is coming up at the end of Jan. We could go hit that up.

Comment

• cb550Matt
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by corneilius
                        So i finally found some time to take some pictures of the bike to put up. I need everyones help i found a little, boo-boo perhaps. I want to know what to do about it. Seems to be a dent in the frame above the top motor mount. Inspect the pictures please and let me know what you think.

That notch in the backbone above the motor mount is supposed to be there.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;