Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Burnzy29
    • Apr 2013

Fender

Is that the factory fender? I love it!!!
    How does the seat ride??? Another cool idea!!!!!

Comment

• davidabl
      • Nov 2009

I notice that a fork brace has materialized in the last pic: made, adopted from another bike or store bought?

Comment

• junkyardxl
        • Mar 2012

Anyone notice how old this thread is?

Comment

• davidabl
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by junkyardxl
          Anyone notice how old this thread is?
          Yeah, he's had time to graduate, settle down and start raising a family ;-)

Comment

• Jetblack
            • Mar 2024

Looks like he wasn't getting much feedback on the build. If he's not active anymore; pretty sure the rear fender is the front fender, it has a brace that can be separated from the fender it's only attached by 4 rivets strong rivets might I add... that's most likely being re-used as the fork brace, two parts for the price of one.

Comment

• davidabl
              • Nov 2009

JB I'm sure you're right about the fender,looking at how the fender fits (or doesn't fit) the rear tire and that flat spot near where it tucks behind the frame rail. Using the front fender as the rear fender is very trad for bobbers. it's hard to tell from the pic but that that brace seems a little more substantial than the ones I remember on the front fenders.

2 parts for the price of one..or for the price of NONE, actually.

Comment

• Burnzy29
                • Apr 2013

I just found a bunch of them fenders on ebay. They are KZ cop rear fenders.

Comment

• davidabl
                  • Nov 2009

While the o.p. is obviously long gone, I'd like to say something for the record re this:

"-Lower the rear by getting rid of shocks and using struts"

The KZ is one of the best-handling of the older JPN bikes, particularly for slow speed maneuvers. Which even makes them surprisingly rideable off-pavement. It'd be a damn shame to throw it all away by putting struts on it.

Comment

• Laild
                    • Mar 2024

Initially, I looked at a typical Bobber with the idea of buying a motorcycle, although at that time I knew little about him. And then I found a good source about the various terms of purchase and paper characteristics. I bought a Bobber KZ1000 just when I went to college and did not regret it. The ideal student option is easy, affordable and economical. Especially, the light version of the rear and front wheel and the lack of front and rear wing are pleased. I advise!

Comment

• clarajenkins
                      • Sep 2021

Originally posted by kcornell6
                      Hey all!

Relatively new to these forums and there a great source of information so far. Have been getting a lot of great ideas that don't stop coming day after day. This is my first official thread for a complete rebuild/project/experimentation whatever you want to call it with a 96' KZ1000 I picked up for $550. I have some relatively good mechanical experience with the oldies rebuilding my own 81' GS850 and tearing down a 79' CX550. Looking foward to bobbing this KZ with some of your help.

Have a few plans for a future bobber including..
                      -Obviuosly hack the sub frame off/ short stocky fender in place
                      -Lower the rear by getting rid of shocks and using struts
                      -Lower seat height by cutting and re-welding in the frame where the seat lies/ re-position battery
                      -Get rid of the rats nest of wiring (Anyone know of any schematics and/or manuals laying around for the 96 1000??)
                      -Recreating this airbox/pod system (credits to kzbobber1)
                      -Would love to go spoked wheels but not sure how much hassle that'll bring along
                      -Find some new mufflers in the junk yard down the street
                      -Wrap the headers
                      -New seat

I'm sure more ideas will come along as I keep at it.

First day at its new home

I know the clubmans aren't on the traditional way, but this going to be my own unique ride.

And my GS just for fun

V/R

Kev
                      I can see that the thread is quite old, but I must say that this is a great project for a college student! Honestly, the end of the academic year is my favorite time, because it makes it so special for such projects. I remember that I recently wrote an essay on this topic and read several posts here https://phdessay.com/describe-your-f...es-it-special/ as an examples. Only then I realized that I really love this time of the year, because then I can see the result of my work for the whole year!
                      I can see that the thread is quite old, but I must say that this is a great project for a college student!

Comment

• kcornell6
                        • Nov 2011

Raising it from the dead...kinda.

Well, over a decade later and I still reminisce over this bike. The amount of hours I had put into it chopping it and riding all around the state of Arizona were nearly countless. I loved this 'economical' build because it pushed me to think of creative solutions to problems I couldn't afford to truly fix. Some ideas probably would've been better left to the way side but hey, that's learning for ya

I don't have 'Sheila' anymore. I unfortunately sold her in 2014 when I received orders for my first military move. If I could change much, it would be to have kept this bike. I don't believe my now wife (who was my then girlfriend) would appreciate it as much though.

If out of some weird fate someone has any info on this KZ, I'd love to know what's going on with it these days.

-Kevin

P.S - the rear fender as pictured was actually still the rear fender, just hacked in half. :P

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...