CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default bike pulls hard to the left

I think my back wheel might be out of line....What is the best way to realign it? Its to the point where i have to push right to keep the bike straight, and if i let go the bike shoots left. I just recently had my uncle help me replace the back wheel bearings. And like i said, im not sure if when we put it all back together it got aligned correctly.

im thinking I have to get the bike on a lift loosen both axel bolts.... and then what?

i have a 79 sportster by the way

Get Adobe Flash player

measure the axle distance from a fixed point on the frame. ( a motor mount bolt is a good example) should be the same distance on each side.

Get Adobe Flash player

I just put the bike on my lift to see what the front end was doing if i tried to center it.. If i try and keep the bars centered they just fall to left... go figure. That probably my issue

Also i was spinning the back tire when it was on the lift, my eyes arent trained to see if its off or not, but is the chain suppose to make a little bit of clacking noise? I cant tell if the chain sitting wrong on the sprockets or if thats just normal?

Maybe im just paranoid, i dont fuckin know man...

Get Adobe Flash player

Do like malloy said measure from a fixed point and use the adjustment bolt located at the back of each side of the swingarm. adjust until it measures the same on both sides. most likely your bars swing left with the wheel off the ground because that side of the wheel is heavier due to brake assembly , that is normal.

Did your bike track straight before the bearing change or was the bearing change done to cure this problem?

Get Adobe Flash player

a quick method to see if the front end is straight is to grab a piece of glass 3" by 12"(old style window where the slats open is a good source) and see if it will lie flat on the fork tubes between the lower triple clamp and the fender/wheel. if your front end is tweaked the glass will rock back and forth. You can then loosen the pinch bolts on the top tree and torque the bars until the glass lies flat. Hope that helps
    Last edited by teriyakibingo; 11-26-2011 at 6:54 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

just noticed you have dual discs , so disregard my first response on your front end.

Get Adobe Flash player

The bike pulled a little, but not as bad as it does now. Anyone know about chain noise? I feel like if the chain is aligned right it shouldnt be making much noise at all... mines a little clacky sounding

Get Adobe Flash player

chains make some noise , whens the last time you lubed it? properly maintained chain will be quieter, but still will have a little noise. unproperly aligned chain will make more noise as well. line it up and lube it up.

Get Adobe Flash player

i'm not sure what your swing arm looks like, so this might not work. it's also going to be very hard to explain, so i'll do my best. i have always taken a wire coat hanger and cut a section about 12" long. then I bend one end to a 90 degree angle so that there is about 1/2 inch after the bend. Then I put the bent section in a small hole that is on my swing arm. i've been told that these holes are put here for this purpose. After you do that, you can find where the other end of the hanger lands on the axle, and then bend the hanger so that the other end will meet the center of the axle. now you have a spacer type tool to put on the other side of the swing arm and make the axle line up with the hanger. it's just an easy way to measure without a ruler or measuring tape, and it's pretty accurate. i'll see if i can make a quick video with the phone and post it up here.

Get Adobe Flash player

a video would be awesome, ive seen a few photos of that method and im still like ..the fuck?

Thanks for the help

Get Adobe Flash player

i tried to upload the movie i took with my phone, but it was too big. if you p.m. me your number i can send you the videos. if anyone can tell me how to upload a video from my phone that i've emailed to myself, please let me know. i'll post it up here so that others might use it.

Get Adobe Flash player

maybe im all wrong but.. since the bike is pulling to the left, assuming its the back chain adjusters that threw everything off in the first place, wouldnt i just have to tighten the right side to make the wheel centered again?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy View Post
    i tried to upload the movie i took with my phone, but it was too big. if you p.m. me your number i can send you the videos. if anyone can tell me how to upload a video from my phone that i've emailed to myself, please let me know. i'll post it up here so that others might use it.
    upload it to photobucket first or youtube...did you try searching youtube there' might be a "how to" vid...not sure how to explain it different than anyone else on here already has, you want both adjusters to be adjusted the same...but that could definitely cause the pulling

Get Adobe Flash player

i wonder if the bearings in the neck would cause it to pull to the left if some were worn out? just a thought. i'm not mechanic, but i would think that bad bearings in the neck might cause the front end to do something weird.

Get Adobe Flash player

the only reason im concerned is if the back wheel is out of whack, then so is my chain which means my sprockets/chain are going to be damaged and i dont want to have to replace my sprockets..

Get Adobe Flash player

you should be concerned, ur bike should never pull to either side. it should track straight, i'm just trying to think of an easy way to explain how to do it...maybe back your adjusters off all the way then count how many turns when you tighten the chain back up and make sure you do the same amount of turns on each side....i usually measure like these guys have suggested from the swingarm to the same spot on the rim on either side...

Get Adobe Flash player

Yes be concerned . You could end up on the pavement and then the sprocket wear is the least of your troubles. I can take both hands off the bars on both of my bikes and they track straight.

Get Adobe Flash player

okay i got the video in my email, makes 100% sense now!

Ill go check that shit and see what i come up with. thanks much everyone!

Get Adobe Flash player

well theres nothing that i can really pin the wire to... and the back axle bolts dont have center marks..

god dammittttt

ill figure this out in the morning, my brain needs a break from stupid alignment

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a really good trick to align your rear tire. Pardon me if I am off base as to the discussion, I am pretty tanked. Go to wal-mart or ace hardware and get 2 florescent bulbs and a pack of rubber bands. Take both florescent tubes side by side and rubber band them together around the tire/rim. The black circle is the tire (obviously) the green would be the florescent light bulb "tubes" and the red would be the rubber bands.

Then you can measure from the the tubes to the frame rails and get a fairly accurate measurement. to how straight your tire/rim is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reallybadexample.png  

Share This