Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tito
    • May 2010

How To: Transgender Footpegs for your Ironhead

You are sad because they don't make any cool footpegs for your ironhead. After merely an hour invested in your garage, you will have turned that innee into an outee. The foot-peg aftermarket world is now your oyster.

The bike in question is my 79 Sportster (has an 80 sprocket cover). It was hard for me to bring myself to butcher the original peg mounts, but after sourcing a couple extras, I felt better about it.

I found the clevis mount female deals at a swap meet for a couple bucks. They are also available cheap online by drag spec and taiwan ted. On rare occasions, you might even have to buy some crappy pegs just to get the mounts, it may even be cheaper.

The (somewhat) original mounts and pegs...

You need an EVO style brake pivot to replace the old female one on your sprocket cover. There are thousands of them out there, don't let anyone charge you too much for one.

The primary peg, with nubbin cut off. Drilled out to a big 1/2, then tapped 1/2-13 (that was bigger than I wanted, but the size of the thread on the female peg mount I had)...

Now, the female or "clevis" peg mount shown with a headless bolt...

Now, put it all together. You can attempt to make some flip-up pegs now.

Here is one in action...

You can also ditch the clevis and make some rigid stud-mount ones. (the brake side was made by drilling and tapping a threaded stud into the evo brake pivot)...

This exact depiction might not apply to all years of the loved ironhead, but if you put some of these illustrations to work with a little ingenuity of your own, you'll be rolling in style in no time.
  • rus
    • Aug 2009

about to hack up my sprocket and cam cover. you have a picture of how you did yours by chance?

Comment

• rooster52478
      • Aug 2010

Nice! I've got extra pegs laying around for my '02 while my Ironhead has skateboard grip tape wrapped around bare pegs. I could put this to use.

Comment

• Tito
        • May 2010

Originally posted by rus
        about to hack up my sprocket and cam cover. you have a picture of how you did yours by chance?
        Here are a few older pics. I cut off the locator dowel hole, but some leave it...dealer's choice. These bitches were both factory chrome, so it took forever to get them down to the aluminum. I was never really happy with the weird loop on the sprocket cover, but I never did anything about it.

Comment

• rus
          • Aug 2009

rad, thanks dude.

Comment

• Dirtbrother
            • Oct 2010

Cool article thanx for that. Even cooler: Your bike it's the goddamn epitome of a ironhead bobber.
            Wheres the oiltank? i can se oil lines going to the battery holder. is it a combo oil jug/batterybox? If so how much oil does it hold?

Comment

• LAMF
              • Jul 2010

good write up, might have to do this over the winter

Comment

• Tito
                • May 2010

Originally posted by Dirtbrother
                Cool article thanx for that. Even cooler: Your bike it's the goddamn epitome of a ironhead bobber.
                Wheres the oiltank? i can se oil lines going to the battery holder. is it a combo oil jug/batterybox? If so how much oil does it hold?
                Thanks man, actually I am using an oil tank from an old Indian vert twin. I have it side mounted on the left primary side. It's nice because it tucks in very close to the bike, due to a stock cutout in the backside of the tank. They fit together like legos....

Comment

• Boyparty
                  • Jul 2017

Do you still have these pictures. They aren't showing up anymore.

Originally posted by Tito
                  You are sad because they don't make any cool footpegs for your ironhead. After merely an hour invested in your garage, you will have turned that innee into an outee. The foot-peg aftermarket world is now your oyster.

The bike in question is my 79 Sportster (has an 80 sprocket cover). It was hard for me to bring myself to butcher the original peg mounts, but after sourcing a couple extras, I felt better about it.

I found the clevis mount female deals at a swap meet for a couple bucks. They are also available cheap online by drag spec and taiwan ted. On rare occasions, you might even have to buy some crappy pegs just to get the mounts, it may even be cheaper.

The (somewhat) original mounts and pegs...

You need an EVO style brake pivot to replace the old female one on your sprocket cover. There are thousands of them out there, don't let anyone charge you too much for one.

The primary peg, with nubbin cut off. Drilled out to a big 1/2, then tapped 1/2-13 (that was bigger than I wanted, but the size of the thread on the female peg mount I had)...

Now, the female or "clevis" peg mount shown with a headless bolt...

Now, put it all together. You can attempt to make some flip-up pegs now.

Here is one in action...

You can also ditch the clevis and make some rigid stud-mount ones. (the brake side was made by drilling and tapping a threaded stud into the evo brake pivot)...

This exact depiction might not apply to all years of the loved ironhead, but if you put some of these illustrations to work with a little ingenuity of your own, you'll be rolling in style in no time.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;