Email Password Mobile Version / Desktop Version
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default How To: Transgender Footpegs for your Ironhead

You are sad because they don't make any cool footpegs for your ironhead. After merely an hour invested in your garage, you will have turned that innee into an outee. The foot-peg aftermarket world is now your oyster.

The bike in question is my 79 Sportster (has an 80 sprocket cover). It was hard for me to bring myself to butcher the original peg mounts, but after sourcing a couple extras, I felt better about it.

I found the clevis mount female deals at a swap meet for a couple bucks. They are also available cheap online by drag spec and taiwan ted. On rare occasions, you might even have to buy some crappy pegs just to get the mounts, it may even be cheaper.

The (somewhat) original mounts and pegs...

You need an EVO style brake pivot to replace the old female one on your sprocket cover. There are thousands of them out there, don't let anyone charge you too much for one.

The primary peg, with nubbin cut off. Drilled out to a big 1/2, then tapped 1/2-13 (that was bigger than I wanted, but the size of the thread on the female peg mount I had)...

Now, the female or "clevis" peg mount shown with a headless bolt...

Now, put it all together. You can attempt to make some flip-up pegs now.

Here is one in action...

You can also ditch the clevis and make some rigid stud-mount ones. (the brake side was made by drilling and tapping a threaded stud into the evo brake pivot)...

This exact depiction might not apply to all years of the loved ironhead, but if you put some of these illustrations to work with a little ingenuity of your own, you'll be rolling in style in no time.

Get Adobe Flash player

about to hack up my sprocket and cam cover. you have a picture of how you did yours by chance?

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice! I've got extra pegs laying around for my '02 while my Ironhead has skateboard grip tape wrapped around bare pegs. I could put this to use.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by rus View Post
    about to hack up my sprocket and cam cover. you have a picture of how you did yours by chance?
    Here are a few older pics. I cut off the locator dowel hole, but some leave it...dealer's choice. These bitches were both factory chrome, so it took forever to get them down to the aluminum. I was never really happy with the weird loop on the sprocket cover, but I never did anything about it.

Get Adobe Flash player

rad, thanks dude.

Get Adobe Flash player

Cool article thanx for that. Even cooler: Your bike it's the goddamn epitome of a ironhead bobber.
    Wheres the oiltank? i can se oil lines going to the battery holder. is it a combo oil jug/batterybox? If so how much oil does it hold?

Get Adobe Flash player

good write up, might have to do this over the winter

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbrother View Post
    Cool article thanx for that. Even cooler: Your bike it's the goddamn epitome of a ironhead bobber.
    Wheres the oiltank? i can se oil lines going to the battery holder. is it a combo oil jug/batterybox? If so how much oil does it hold?
    Thanks man, actually I am using an oil tank from an old Indian vert twin. I have it side mounted on the left primary side. It's nice because it tucks in very close to the bike, due to a stock cutout in the backside of the tank. They fit together like legos....

Do you still have these pictures. They aren't showing up anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tito View Post
    You are sad because they don't make any cool footpegs for your ironhead. After merely an hour invested in your garage, you will have turned that innee into an outee. The foot-peg aftermarket world is now your oyster.

The bike in question is my 79 Sportster (has an 80 sprocket cover). It was hard for me to bring myself to butcher the original peg mounts, but after sourcing a couple extras, I felt better about it.

I found the clevis mount female deals at a swap meet for a couple bucks. They are also available cheap online by drag spec and taiwan ted. On rare occasions, you might even have to buy some crappy pegs just to get the mounts, it may even be cheaper.

The (somewhat) original mounts and pegs...

You need an EVO style brake pivot to replace the old female one on your sprocket cover. There are thousands of them out there, don't let anyone charge you too much for one.

The primary peg, with nubbin cut off. Drilled out to a big 1/2, then tapped 1/2-13 (that was bigger than I wanted, but the size of the thread on the female peg mount I had)...

Now, the female or "clevis" peg mount shown with a headless bolt...

Now, put it all together. You can attempt to make some flip-up pegs now.

Here is one in action...

You can also ditch the clevis and make some rigid stud-mount ones. (the brake side was made by drilling and tapping a threaded stud into the evo brake pivot)...

This exact depiction might not apply to all years of the loved ironhead, but if you put some of these illustrations to work with a little ingenuity of your own, you'll be rolling in style in no time.

Share This