CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 8 First 1234 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I am a broke ass so i went with the 80 ironhead basket case that i sweat over every night to get running to try and see wind before the snow falls. If i had the dough, i would buy a 48 over any other harley. Dont be ashamed of what you have. There are many things you can do that cost a lot, or a little. These guys have linked all the good sites to get aftermarket. But if you really have a feeling that you want to chop. Then chop. Get the hacksaw and rattle can and start taking off all the factory shit and make it your own. And if you dont, who gives a shit. Ride the hell out of it. I chop cus im poor lol.

Get Adobe Flash player

I rented a 48 from Orlando HD last year during a week long family trip to the Magic Kingdom. I figured a day of riding would be a nice escape from the in-laws for a day and would give me a chance to meet up and ride with some like minded friends in sunny Florida.

I thought the 48 was a great bike to ride even in factory trim. We rode 500 fast and abusive miles on the day we met up and I was very surprise by how much I liked the bike. I returned it to the dealership with a full tank of gas and some serious scrapes on the bottom of the mufflers.

I would want to make a few changes if I actually owned one but I think they are one hell of a starting point if you already own one.

No gayness in my opinion.
    Last edited by 007; 11-19-2011 at 7:59 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

personally i like them too, with a few much needed changes but like alot of people on this thread have said...it's a good base to customize off of...

Get Adobe Flash player

This thread is what's gay. And I mean Elton John gay. It's got 2 wheels don't it? Shut the fuck up and go ride.

Get Adobe Flash player

the op's user name is greasegirl6. how does a greasegirl6 get off her own dick?

Get Adobe Flash player

my drunken rants are not gender specific.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by dethtrap View Post
    the op's user name is greasegirl6. how does a greasegirl6 get off her own dick?
    Tranny?

Get Adobe Flash player

Well, here's my 2011 48. whether you think it's gay or not, don't matter. It works and I ride the shit out of it.

Get Adobe Flash player

did i miss something in the first post.. why is everyone jumping down this person throat right off the bat

Get Adobe Flash player

2 into 1 That is the best thing you can do period. Sorry I mean that is the best thing you can do for sure! Sporty engines come alive with a good 2 into 1. Even if you do all the other stuff it will not make that big of a difference until the exhaust is good.

I was very disappointed after intake cams etc. but when I put the exhaust it made all the other mods come to life!

I always ride gay bikes. My chaps and no pants are what makes them FAB-U -LUSSS !

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm pretty happy with my "new sportster." ('10 Iron) If I'd gotten a 48, I would still have done the same things that I've done to my ride - pulling unneeded bits, making things like fender bib & fork wraps, internally wiring, etc., but I'd be a step ahead with a 1200 instead of an 883 and I'd have that fatass front end! I gotta agree with everybody here, there's plenty you can do, stage1, a tuner, simple aesthetic shit, whatever.

-m

Get Adobe Flash player

Half the people on here ride gay sportsters. lots of EFI sportsters. everybody is scared to say they ride a Iron/Nightster/48 for fear that someone is gonna bag on them. Fuck that. I ride my Nightster every day, rain or shine, i dont really care what anybody thinks. New or old, American or Japanese, whatever your on two wheels. I would say just ride the shit out of that 48, theres a lot of people on here with some wonky pieces of crap that would love to have your bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Ansutton21 View Post
    Half the people on here ride gay sportsters. lots of EFI sportsters. everybody is scared to say they ride a Iron/Nightster/48 for fear that someone is gonna bag on them.
    I don't do that shit. My Iron's fuckin' great.

Get Adobe Flash player

Wow, some harsh responses. I'm guessing the fact that this bike has such a hipster following might be part of the reason, she's not feeling the bike. I believe she said it was one of the more popular bikes in Australia (if I read her comment on another thread correctly) which makes the NEED to customize that much more imperative.

greasergirl, I don't know what restrictions y'all have in Australia, if any; but some have given you some positive advice about performance. There is the obvious striping of parts, paint and handlebar swaps. I'm sure that hefty monthly payment hinders your "fun funds" so what exactly are you not feeling about your scoot? Are you truly willing to "void your warranty"? I love both my running bikes; but I always find myself standing back and seeing something else I want to change. IF it were mine I'd work on performance first, the bike isn't exactly ugly and even if it is, it's real hard to see when you are flying past. Remove front fender and reflectors!! Change air filter/cleaner to something more minimal or attractive, there are a few threads around here for home made ones. Remove the belt guard (belt/chain guards are ugly, never seen one I liked)Then remove turn signals or maybe swap/custom build some new ones. I always thought Biltwell Keystones looked great on those bikes. Clean up your bars some, ya know remove switches or move them somewhere else. Lowered shocks or maybe struts. There are quite a few things you can do that may not be "original" but will change the over all look of the bike. The fact that you're a cute Chick with an accent, that rides automatically makes the bike cooler.

Sorry if all this seems redundant or rambling; but I'm really high and a little drunk.

Get Adobe Flash player

quick hp recipe for around a grand:

buell xb, or rubbermount 1200 heads
    andrews n6 cams (i think you can reuse your stock pushrods and tubes)
    s&s carb and intake
    00-03 cam cover
    dyna S single fire igntion (use stock coil)

with this recipe you can convert your rubbermount motor to the earlier 'nose cone' ignition that will easily allow you to chopper wire your bike with a 5 wire system and loose the brainbox and every other mile of wire that goes along with it.

i made 104 hp with some ported/polished xb heads, high comp pistons, and n6 cams.

those 48's are some of the neatest scoots i've seen roll off the factory floor, after you get your powerplant squared away if you still wanna make changes, hard tail that mother fucker. that's why they're called choppers.

Get Adobe Flash player

i love the 48, and a girl that rides is even cooler! Half of the modded sportys ive seen are trying to get the look that the 48 already has anyway. Ditch the reflectors, swap the bars, and paint it, and you have a cool, reliable scoot to ride while you chop up an older, cheaper bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

Shit, I can't wait to put cams in my Nightster. EFI tuning is way more versatile than a carb, and breaking the back tire loose in turns is fun as fuck.

Get Adobe Flash player

I rock a stock 07 Nighster, that thing will do 120 no problem, I have no real complaints with it, I can only imagine how much better it's going to be once I get to working on it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Riding wise I like the 48s, I can appreciate the simple look of an iron but to me it's trying too hard to look like an older chop and comes off cheese. A little too plastic and new. I also hate the ride on an iron.

What I would do is grab a good running mid to late 90s 1200 sportster. Especially now because you can snag em from desperate people for anywhere from 3500-4500 depending on the Bells and whistles. Bring it home, rip off that screaming eagle exhaust it will surely have, the flamed out turquoise tank and fender, all the signals and pull out a chop saw and buy some black rattlecans

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by xoldblueeyesisdeadx View Post
    did i miss something in the first post.. why is everyone jumping down this person throat right off the bat
    everybody has been jumping all over her a lot lately. lots of whining. in a previous post, i believe she said that she'd like to keep it stock (or close to stock with bolt on options) because the value had gone up 4 grand since she bought it, and she didn't want to hurt that value.

my .02. there is quite a bit that can be done, and most of it has been posted already. be happy with the 48, and chop the shit out of it. for starters, if you don't want the tank, i'll trade you. what kind of power are you looking for? i can't imagine that the mods listed in prior posts can definitely make it more bike than you can imagine. and, if you're accurate in your value estimates, i can't imagine that it will hold the value for long. just chop the shit out of it, and make it fast. do as much as your wallet will allow. build a bad ass bike that will make all of us jealous. good luck.
    Last edited by bigdaddy; 11-19-2011 at 9:11 PM.

Share This