CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default '65 Bonnie Oil Pump Question...

I'm building a '65 Bonnie chop, I want to put my oil tank on the front down tube low down. My concern is, Does the oil pump have enough strength to pump from there or is it aided by gravity???

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by snapperturtle View Post
    I'm building a '65 Bonnie chop, I want to put my oil tank on the front down tube low down. My concern is, Does the oil pump have enough strength to pump from there or is it aided by gravity???
    Like, in front of your engine?

What's up with that idea? What if something snags one of your oil lines?

The oil tank is where it is because of the return and feed lines from the engine is in close proximity. And it's a quick trip up to the rocker.
    Last edited by CRFyou; 11-16-2011 at 9:44 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

yes it is designed as a gravity assisted feed to the pump. the supply side sucks oil in and the return side pumps it back to the tank. any air cavitation is the supply line would not sit well with the engine.
    since back in the 1950's pretty much everything that works has been done on Triumph choppers and that idea ain't on the list.
    Last edited by Torch; 11-16-2011 at 9:45 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I like the look of the front oil rig... skid pan will take care of the line... I seemed a little different... Just don't wanna do the same ol' same ol'...

Get Adobe Flash player

Torch, Thank you for the answer...it does, however lead to another question, is there a way of putting an auxilliary oil pump in to help things along or should I just let it go???

Get Adobe Flash player

if you want to do something different the why not incorporate the oil tank into or under the gas tank.

starwolf

Perhaps you should look at different ways to be different? If you want it to be " different", maybe modify the original oil tank for increased (double) capacity ? Or make it square,cubed, rectangular, triangular, or a 5 pointed star, How about a rocket ship,or sphere ?
    . Or maybe some off the wall, blatantly insane-o, one of a kind. You could find a (extremely thick,or even solid,and drill it out as needed) metal Giraffe (or even better a Unicorn) statue , and make a REALLY FUCKIN WILD ONE OFF tank, that is GUARANTEED not to be on any other bike in the world. Just make sure what ever you decide to use, will be up to the task of the pressure requirements needed, (100 PSI MINIMUM) Everyone has a fire extinguisher,milk jug , or octagon, but who the fuck else has a pentagram shaped oil tank? Use your imagination/skill to come up with something original. make certain it's absolutely rock solid, and mount that sucker absolutely rock solid too.

Get Adobe Flash player

there's not a lot of originality left in custom motorcycles. i wouldn't mess with the oiling system as a way to be different.

starwolf's ideas are cool. remember, the more oil your bike holds, the cooler it runs.

the cooler it runs, the more power it makes.

making more power is the new, ccol, different thing to do.

Get Adobe Flash player

there are things that will work and there are things the work for a long time, with enough assembly lube you can even run a bikes without oil for quite a while, we have had several customers that rode thier bikes around with the oil lines reversed.
    Mark Drew's bike runs and looks bitchen but it's not the bike for a cross country trip it has a Wiskey
    flask for an oil tank...
    Last edited by Torch; 11-17-2011 at 9:19 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks to everyone who offered input on this matter. I believe that I am going to have to goa different route, just wanted to see if the idea was worth tinkering with... as far as a bitchin 1 off, I agree there are a million and 1 ways to get it done... This is my first buile, and we all have to go thru our styling ideas to see if they are feesable... Again, thanx for the input, and I will start looking for a different style concept... I will probably post a whole lot more "stupid ass" questions before its all over, but that is how we learn...

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the advice, I am looking into doing something trick in the manner you suggested... Just needed to learn about my bike a little and see what ways I could go... when I get it figured out I will post it...

Get Adobe Flash player

Man if you want to do it in the front im sure theres a way to do it. Doing what "the cool new thing to do" is isnt that cool or new... doing something everyone said you couldnt is pretty cool i think.

Get Adobe Flash player

WOT!?! Nobody said it couldn't be done. The folks with real, practical experience with these specific bikes said it SHOULDN'T be done. There is a difference.

The new cool is dragging up months old threads and dissagreeing with them.

Share This