Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • easyspeed
    • Dec 2010

76' shovel swing arm , making it my own

Finally scored a Harley! Not new to riding or building , but this is my shovelhead! Picked it up for a fair price, runs and drives. Just needed a little tlc. Not fond of the paint job and a few other kinda redneck attributes but o well.

This will be the first bike I've bought that wasnt a complete basket case! Pretty excited and cant wait to start to see the evolution. Plans are to keep the swing arm. Lower the front and stuff a 21" in there. Possibly lower the rear. Not sure if I need new shocks or to just move the shock mount blocks on the swing arm back. Probably going to repaint and use the old tank and rear fender. I'd like to find a way to get 2 up on this with out having it look like a stock Flh. Getting a cateye clock for it. Making a new battery box and running a newer style battery. O ya, gotta fix the oil lines to the heads. Look pretty f'd up.
    Last edited by easyspeed; 11-15-2012, 5:31 PM.
  • easyspeed
    • Dec 2010

There she blows!

Comment

• easyspeed
      • Dec 2010

Comment

• NHMike
        • Apr 2024

Nice start man!!! Ya, whoever put those Oil Lines on needs a smack in the head!

Comment

• easyspeed
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by NHMike
          Nice start man!!! Ya, whoever put those Oil Lines on needs a smack in the head!
          No Shit! I can get stainless tubing for cheap, but I need to know what ID to use. 1/"4"?
          I've also seen these lines ran a few different way and honestly not sure how they go. haha I've seen them come up into the rear cyl and then from the rear box to the front box is just a short line. Or a cleaner y like old stf which looks like the best idea. That way the oil is shared equally. looks real clean too

Comment

• aaronc
            • Apr 2024

I like the way you ran those.

Comment

• easyspeed
              • Dec 2010

Those lines are available from old stf along with a bunch of other really nice engine dress up I want. That pic is from their web site.

Here is a dumb question. If I'm in the market for newneck bearings, the taperred kind, do I need neck cups or anything special or just the taperred bearings and races?

Comment

• aaronc
                • Apr 2024

Well timkens are cup and cone.Most the ones I deal with you have to specify outer/cup or inner/cone numbers.So I just give em both numbers (they're usually different.)If you cant get the race of the bearing out of the frame neck you could use a carbide burr and cut it out.

Comment

• easyspeed
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aaronc
                  Well timkens are cup and cone.Most the ones I deal with you have to specify outer/cup or inner/cone numbers.So I just give em both numbers (they're usually different.)If you cant get the race of the bearing out of the frame neck you could use a carbide burr and cut it out.
                  Do you happen to have those #'s ? There is a bearing shop I can get them from down here.

Not sure if I want to run that 21" now. After dikin around on the internet and youtube I've been swayd' to 16" front and back. I will have to figure bearing for this 05' roadking 16" wheel I have. the old bearings had a 1" ID. I guess they use some kinda spacer on the axle for that year?

Comment

• Zooligan
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by easyspeed
                    Or a cleaner y like old stf which looks like the best idea.[/IMG]
                    Or you could start swapping in evo cam, lifters, rockers, and pushrods for a super-clean no-exterior-oil-lines look...

Comment

• easyspeed
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Zooligan
                      Or you could start swapping in evo cam, lifters, rockers, and pushrods for a super-clean no-exterior-oil-lines look...

Does that shit just drop in or does it require any machining. Cause I've neen thinking about a nice loby' cam. Whats a good cam that can drop im with that set up and not require any head work?

Comment

• aaronc
                        • Apr 2024

Well the cone is L44643 and the cup has a 2.000 O.D. and is .437 deep.I run a compu fire cam in my shovel and I love it way more then the andrews I had in it.The only thing was you need real good valvesprings.

Comment

• easyspeed
                          • Dec 2010

still in the midst of mocking this thing up. Bought a smaller later style battery and built a new smaller box for it. It's like 1/2 the size of the oem! Put the 21" in up front and need to see if I can lower the front forks enough to still give it travel and clearance. It's close like within 2" tire to tree bottom. New drilled air cleaner, made some pushrod upper covers from s.s. perf to kinda go with the drilled air cleaner.

So now I want to leave the swingarm. It has progressive 11.5" shocks on it. Anyone know the stroke length on these. I'm going to have to find or build a seat and would like to make it narrower. 6" low profile style. Anyone know what seat is on this guys shovel?

Comment

• aaronc
                            • Apr 2024

Looks like a Lepera.

Comment

• easyspeed
                              • Dec 2010

I dig it, but I'd rather have a tuk n roll. Trying to find a way to make it a 2 seater. But still low profile

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;