CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Shotguns

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Shotguns

Hey guys I know some of you have to have some experience so I'll just throw this out there. So I have a shotgun right now its my Grandpas old 12 ga. J.G. Higgins Bolt action and it works great for upland game birds but I just feel bad taking it out and plus duck seasons coming up and i can't shoot steel out of it. So i'm looking at buying a new gun but don't have much to spend. I'm trying to keep it in the $200 range, I know thats not a lot but its what i got .now Ideally I'd just find a nice used 870 Express and being happier than a pig eatin shit but I just can't find one anywhere near my budget so I've gotta couple cheapies I'm looking at. The first one is the H&R Pardner Pump from what I can tell they're Norincos 870 copies imported by H&R I've handled one they feel solid but haven't shot one. My uncle who's been in gun retail for over 30 years says he's had too many of them come back for warranty work to suggest them. But I also found a very extensive review that pits it against an 870 over a long period of time with many shells put through it and the guy did metallurgical tests on both guns and the pardner actually came ahead in material quality as well as consistant quality control and he also said the Remington will remain in the safe as he uses the pardner to hunt birds varmints and whitetail. sounds pretty convincing and at a price of $179 (cheaper through my uncle) it sounds pretty damn good but I still can't shake his warning from the back of my mind. Another option is a Maverick 88 by Mossberg , They parts are made in Mexico and assembled in Texas they have pretty good reviews and a decent price tag of $188 Now I have had some experience with the Maverick. When I was 13 my dad bought me a Maverick for my birthday but there were several issues with it. The handle on the pump was too short and too far apart for my little arms so I could not draw the gun fast enough to shoot birds because the butt of the gun would get stuck under my armpit and I'd have to think about what i was doing and once I got there i couldn't really pump another shell into the chamber in the shooting position. My other issue was that I didn't like the safety being on the front of the trigger guard and it was very stiff to take off safety I realize that it probably could have been oiled and needed to be broke in anyways it still bothered me so. for the next few seasons my dad used my maverick and i used his 870. which when the family came on hard times we both sold. Beside the point though. even though i found those short fails in the maverick it never once failed to fire and it never jammed so I know that it could be a cheap reliable solution and when checking out the new version of the mav they did extend the pump handle to the length of that of an express or a model 500 so it actually overlaps the front of the receiver also I have grown some (not a lot) so I can see this being a decent option if I can get over the safety. The other option I have found is the ever Popular Mossberg Model 500 its got everything i'm looking for the safety is on the back of the receiver which i think I like the idea of . Even owning a Mossberg previously I feel like there's some stigma against them I don't know if its real or just in my head and I think it has something to with the only place I can find them being Wal-mart but I don't know I mean everyone uses the 500. It does have a steeper price tag at $229 which I could manage if It can be proven to being worth it. I have had no experience with the 500 so I can only go off what I've read about them as well. Anywho I apologize for being so long winded on such a simple thing but I've got a tiny bit of money to put into an investment that will hopefully last me a few years at least and would just like an good bit of info on my purchase. what do you guys think? any of those a decent enough gun? any other suggestions? should I just stash the money until I can buy in a higher $ bracket? any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by ChoppyGee; 11-11-2011 at 12:43 PM.

ARBY

I've spent the last 20+ years as an Armorer on numerous weapons - Mossberg, Remington, H&K and Glock, Colt, plus semi-auto and full auto systems just to name a few and I've seen just about every problem imaginable. Your uncle is right. H&R throughout history has never been classified as quality guns, same is currently true with Norinco. Back in the '80/'90's, Norinco made a very good version of the AK-47 and an ugly but fairly good shooting copy of the 1911 but those days are long gone. Reference the favorable review comparing the H&R to the 870 I've known several of the major gun writers and very few of them ever write negative things about companies that give them free guns for T&E! If they did the word would get around and they wouldn't be writing many articles.

Maverick is Mossberg's looow budget version of the 500. Not a real bad gun but the parts are made from lower grade materials and held to different tolerances and definitely will not stand up to regular use. They break the action bars, trigger assemblies and extractors and Mossberg parts you might pick up at gun shows will not interchange.

Do yourself a favor. Save your money or have your uncle maybe work out payments and buy the Remington or the Mossberg 500. Used ones should be available in the $300 or less range.

With the thousands of pounds of pressure per square inch that are present near your face every time you pull the trigger, don't skimp on firearms.
    You won't be sorry.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have thousands of rounds through my Walmart 500 Mossberg. Not one problem. I use it for Tactical shooting matches so I shoot it fast and rarely clean it. I prefer Mossberg controls over the Remington.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, i have a 500 & 870. Im left handed, and the moss is definatley easier to pump for a lefty. Mossberg doesnt have the established name of rem, but ive had mine for 5-6yrs and never had a problem. I even left it propped up on my bumper and backed over it, and it still does fine. I won the 870, and am prob about to sell it to a guy i know, so win win for me. Also, my moss came with a slug barrel, which is good for deer hunting.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd keep looking. You should be able to find a used Mossberg or Remington pump for around $200. If you get one that is too old, make sure it is chambered for 3" shells. Around here it gets hard to find steel shot in 2 3/4" after duck season opens.

Get Adobe Flash player

You may be able to find a competitively priced Bennelli "Nova" I think new they're around $325, but there seems to be a bunch for sale (craiglist,discount guns,etc) for $250 ish. I own the nova, an 870 special purpose, and a mossberg, love em all!

Get Adobe Flash player

I didn't think about the Nova. Nice guns but some folks want the classic look and stay away from them.

Get Adobe Flash player

+100 on the nova. Great little gun and simple to breakdown if needed. You could push-pole or paddle a boat with it if you had to, then drop the trigger group out of it in like 2 minutes, clean it up and back together in another 2.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've got a remmington and two Mossbergs, like others have said get a 500 you won't be dissapointed.

Get Adobe Flash player

i also am an armorer and have had nothin good come out of the cheap knock-offs. save your pennies.

Get Adobe Flash player

www.budsgunshop.com has some nice shotguns for around 200 right now.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks Guys I went in to buy a 500 and my uncle had a Used Tristar Cobra pump For 129 Seemed like a solid gun and He said he felt better about selling me that than a pardner or a maverick and for that price I felt I could live with it and write it off as an experiment if it shit the bed. I'm pretty damn happy with it hunted Pheasants with it all weekend and shot about a case of trap shells through it yetserday and not a bit of trouble its a little stiff I don't think its been shot very much I thought it was brand new before he told me it was used. I think I did ok on it but only time will tell.

Get Adobe Flash player

Congrats on the purchase. I went to the end of the thread to tell you Dicks sporting goods has Mossberg 500's on sale for 200 bucks before I read you picked a gun up already

Get Adobe Flash player

oh Thanks for the heads up thats a steal but I'd have to Drive 2 hours for the nearest Dick's. Hell of a price though!

Get Adobe Flash player

That's cool. Hope it kills a bunch of birds for you.

Share This