Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • perezmaximus
    • Feb 2011

To all the S&S experts, help!!!

Hello guys, I recently swapped the 2 carbs on my vstar for an s&s super E here's the link http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14883 I bought the carb new from ebay but don't have the tags to know what jets it has.The bike starts but after a while at idle the spark plugs get fouled, what intermediate and main jet do you guys recommend to start with on the 650cc vstar engine. The pipes are open all the way thru, thanks for the help.
  • ARBY
    • Apr 2024

The size should be stamped on the jets. Might need a magnifying glass to see them.

Comment

• OldStfCycle
      • Aug 2010

I'm no expert but if it were me I would start with .265 inter and .063 main for a 650cc motor and still seems like to big of a carb for your bike. I would bet the carb you purchased came with 295 and 72 since most of them do. Your best bet is to call S&S and get their input... they are helpful.

Comment

• ferg
        • Nov 2011

old stf is right....if the carb came in the original SS box the jet sizes are stamped on the box. You'll have to go down to that low 60-s range on the main and as small as possible on the intermediate. A 900 cc sporty runs well with a 66 and a 28 so you have to certainly go smaller than that......if you drop the bowl you can pull the jets and see what is installed...however, the fouling at idle will not change with a change in these jets...are you sure the enricher is off????? just checking that you know what the enricher is and does......

Comment

• perezmaximus
          • Feb 2011

ok, opened up the carb and it has 040 for main and .0265 for intermediate. Trying to find .025 online but no luck, maybe fleabay Before I start the bike I pull the enricher up until it warms up then I push it down, it idles for aprox. 5-10 min. and then it starts backfiring. I check the plugs and they where black with carbon.

Comment

• OldStfCycle
            • Aug 2010

wow sounds like the carb was already set up for your bike ? was it purchased for your fitment ? I might of been way off. like I said call S&S or hop on youtube they have a super E tuning video and you may just need to fine tune it.

Comment

• OldStfCycle
              • Aug 2010

40 main is so small do they even make that jet ?

Comment

• Deadweight
                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by OldStfCycle
                40 main is so small do they even make that jet ?
                Yeah they do. It's the smallest size, they run em in the air bleeds for the main jet. .060 is the magic # for the air bleed hole though.

I think this is too much carb for this engine. S&S recommends Super E's for 900cc & up. I would run Amal's if your shootin' for an old school look, or just trying to mix it up and have fun.

I would start with a very lean accelerator pump adjustment to start. S&S recommends off is best for tuning the circuits. You can index and drill a .040, to get into the jet size you need without spending a bunch of dough, but I think the idle circuit is gonna be the tough part.

You can fill a .0265 and re drill to get into the .020 range, which is where I would start. Take the air fuel screw down as well.

Comment

• perezmaximus
                  • Feb 2011

Thanks guys will try your suggestions, but Deadweight how you go about filling a jet to redrill?
                  Here is one with basicly the same carb setup as mine.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtGTEie1NKI
                  Last edited by perezmaximus; 11-10-2011, 6:58 AM.

Comment

• Deadweight
                    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by perezmaximus
                    Thanks guys will try your suggestions, but Deadweight how you go about filling a jet to redrill?
                    Here is one with basicly the same carb setup as mine.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtGTEie1NKI
                    A little braze.

Comment

• perezmaximus
                      • Feb 2011

Sorry guys got the numbers wrong, intermediate jet is 0265 main jet is 074 and main air bleed is 040

Comment

• 83hdchopper
                        • Apr 2010

Have you had any luck getting it tuned so far? Before you go messing with jets you need to set the idle mixture and idle speed per instructions, if not included they are on S&S web site. ALSO don't run the enrichner for very long! It can make it rich at idle and foul out plugs,once carb is tuned you made need to use it a little. Usually 5-6 shots of gas at cold start and use the throttle to keep it running for a few minutes. Also when tunning and checking jetting turn off the accel pump.

Comment

• toby
                          • Nov 2011

Comment

• perezmaximus
                            • Feb 2011

So far I changed the intermediate jet to 025 it idles good for a while but then the front cylinder stops working, pulled the plugs and the are black. Clean them, install and works again for a while. If I adjust to lean out the mix then it starts popping from the exhaust or carb. I wanted to solder and resize the intermediate jet but don't know how since the jet is about an inch long and the hole is almost half way. Guess I'll keep trying, thanks.

Comment

• 83hdchopper
                              • Apr 2010

Was just looking at the link you posted in the 1st post. I noticed you didn't use the 1/4" fiber insulator block. This can cause a rich condition when the motor heats up. If you haven't gotten past idle don't worry about the jets yet, the carb doesn't use the jet for idle, intermediate kicks in once throttle plate is opened and goes till about 2500 rpm. Did your carb come with the 32 page instruction sheet? There is alot of tunning tips and trouble shooting in it. You can view or download from here http://www.sscycle.com/instructions/...t.php?x_cat=24 also they havea video on tunning a super e on youtube that was done by S&S.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;