X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Newporabbit
    • Dec 2010

Looking for Sportster rear bearings - need help

Hi chopcult,

I'm in the beginning stages of tearing down my bike and re-doing a lot of things over the winter. Right now Im trying to figure out if I can run this 18" (55-78 Sportster) rear drum on my Evo sporty. Still need to find the brake parts for it but that shouldn't be so hard.

Right now the bearings are 5/8ID, 1-1/2OD, but Im trying to find bearings that are 3/4ID, 1-1/2OD and not having good luck with that.

Has anyone done this before that would know where to get em? Thanks

Bike:
  • bigdaddy
    • Nov 2009

are you just wanting to run something that is 18"? why not just relace an 18 rim to your evo hub? i tried to find bearings one time. my buddy's dad (who is pretty knowledgeable with stuff like that) told me i could go to a place that specializes in bearings and buy them there. i tried this, and they had everything that was close to what i wanted, but nothing that was exact. they said they could make me some, but it was gonna be mega-expensive for two bearings. it was cheaper for me to put a different front end on the bike than to make the bearings fit the front axle. now, that might be because you can find cheap front ends off of old jap bikes everywhere, but it was still more than i thought was reasonable. i just put a different front end on that had the correct axle size. i got the front end for free, so it ended up great for me!

Comment

• Newporabbit
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by bigdaddy
      are you just wanting to run something that is 18"? why not just relace an 18 rim to your evo hub? i tried to find bearings one time. my buddy's dad (who is pretty knowledgeable with stuff like that) told me i could go to a place that specializes in bearings and buy them there. i tried this, and they had everything that was close to what i wanted, but nothing that was exact. they said they could make me some, but it was gonna be mega-expensive for two bearings. it was cheaper for me to put a different front end on the bike than to make the bearings fit the front axle. now, that might be because you can find cheap front ends off of old jap bikes everywhere, but it was still more than i thought was reasonable. i just put a different front end on that had the correct axle size. i got the front end for free, so it ended up great for me!
      My rear evo wheel was a mag so no relacing it. I actually want drum in the rear like this wheel. Think it looks really cool with the chainring and brakes on the same side.

Thanks for the advice though, if I can't find bearings Ill have to go a different route.

Update: After searching like crazy these are the closest bearings I can find. Im going to order them and hopefully can get rid of the .07 inch difference inside the hub with a dremel.
      Bearings Direct is your online store for quality and precision products at wholesale prices. Browse our wide selection of bearings and other industrial products to meet your needs.
      Last edited by Newporabbit; 10-29-2011, 8:02 PM. Reason: add info.

Comment

• Newporabbit
        • Dec 2010

My bearings came in. Somehow the 40mm (1.57 inch) OD bearings fit the 1.50 inch ID hub perfect! I don't have a working caliper right now so I really can't tell you which was off but I'm just glad they fit without too much convincing.

And now that I have working bearings, I bought a new K-model chainring/drum and brake assembly on Ebay which will need slight modification to accept the 3/4" axle. Once I get all this assembled I'll try to take some detailed pics of the whole setup.

DOES ANYONE HAVE AN EXPLODED DIAGRAM OF THESE HUBS? I NEED TO MAKE A FEW PARTS SINCE ALL I HAD WAS BASICALLY THE WHEEL. THANKS!

Comment

• Newporabbit
          • Dec 2010

I got the wheel all centered up and cut some spacers using a digital caliper, an old spacer from another wheel, and a $9 pipe cutter from HF.

I'll still need to make something to stop the brake hub from spinning, and some linkage to actuate the brakes but I'm happy with it. 3/4" axle in the Ironhead wheel is coming along.

Love the empty look on the left side

Right side

artsy cell phone pic

since i dont need a rear M/C, i cut down the sprocket cover and a tiny bit of the cam cover. Kept the exhaust mount.

narrowed bars

internal throttle and decided to run the front brake cable kinda internal to keep it clean

still need to make a solo seat instead of bungee strapping a cover on.

gonna try to make a fake bates
          Still have tons I wanna do this winter... maybe I should just make a winter rebuild thread

Comment

• jimthefred
            • Nov 2009

Please do,I would like to follow your build. Some cool shit going on.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;