Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wickedblockhead
    • Aug 2009

im still looking for the cam chain tensioner on my evo.....

Comment

• wickedblockhead
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by PushRodMofo
      . Evo riders wait for the tow truck. Shovel riders can unbolt stuff and make repairs.
      just for the record. ive only ever called a buddy once to get my evo. the rotor died. in the 1000's of miles ive put on her shes had her share of hiccups, but i dont care what you ride, they will all do something eventually. shes been pretty reliable overall. im not a great mechanic, but i know enough to fix most of my own shit, and when something new pops up, i learn. i do yearn for a shovel though....

Comment

• misfitJason
        • Sep 2009

evo evo evo

Comment

• bobbed06
          • May 2010

I have only built a couple of EVOs and when we pushed the bore and stroke too much we started pulling threads at the cases from too much compression. This lead to head gasket faliures as well.

Solution was to use S&S cases that had more material where the cylinder studs reside.

Cam chain tensioner issues on an EVO???? Someones been reading too much and projected a Twincam issue on an EVO......

I have never done anything other than a valve adjustment on a shovelhead, mainly because I only had one buddy that rode a 81 Sturgis. So I have no information on them other than they sound great and he loved his.

I would own and ride a Pan/ Shovel / and Early 00 Twincams but I am not a fan of EVOs.
          Last edited by bobbed06; 10-29-2011, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• garbage
            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by ARBY

I suppose you could go with an evo. Most people who did succumbed to the hypnotic spell Willie and the boys tried to cast over new, yuppie (read that as sucker) customers after the buy back. The myth was that since the MoCo was now back in "family" hands, the bikes were better and more reliable. Bullshit. It worked though. The product was not any better but the marketing was pure genius. Take this for example:
            By "Sucker", arby, I'm sure you mean most 1%ers. Cause they just love "tinkering" with that old iron on the side of the road. Question's like this are silly. If ya want old iron, do it. If not then don't.

All this bickering over which is better, which has soul, is retarded. I own some Evo's, a 67' I.H. as well as a cantankerous old BSA. Each of these machines have their place. And all of them have soul. The evo's came with some nice upgrades from the shovel ( flat top piston's and hydraulic lifters) that made for less wrenching and more riding. Also, the easyrider stream-liner was a twin engine shovel, so what do ya want. All of these platforms are great in my book.

Comment

• Sighless
              • May 2010

Originally posted by rider728
              whether the machine needs it just to run or you need it just to stay sane, tinkering can be (and imho should be) done with any and every bike out there..........

soul is not in the bike you buy, it's what you put into the bike once you start to make it yours. anyone who tells you different is lying and probably trying to sell you something you don't need.
              I gotta agree with rider728.

If you are looking for the "perfect engine" I don't think they exist, more than likely no matter what you get it'll piss you off and leave you sitting at some point. Now I love Shovelheads I've been saving for one for a while (although it seems every time I get close, 1 of my kids needs braces, car breaks down etc) I've seen ones that leak everywhere and never break down to polished and shiny and never run. Now on the same hand, I really like the EVO motor as well, not as pretty; BUT it is newer, you can get a lot of muscle out of them, reliable, easier to get parts for. You should see garbage's daily rider, it's fucking great, clean, aggressive and ridden constantly.

What it comes down to is, what are you looking for? What can you afford? what are you wanting to do with it? What do all these questions have in common? "YOU"! Do this bike for you, not us, don't do something to impress others, do it for you.

Comment

• garbage
                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Sighless
                What it comes down to is, what are you looking for? What can you afford? what are you wanting to do with it? What do all these questions have in common? "YOU"! Do this bike for you, not us, don't do something to impress others, do it for you.
                Agreed 100% My point is this hating on Evo's is non sense. Especially, with shit like this here, going on. I say stand together and help each other out no matter what kind of mill it is. The elitism should be us vs. them, not us. vs. each other, especially over a fuckin' engine.

I like the Evo's because there is a lot of parts available for cheap. It's a solid engine you won't have to throw a lot of money at. Shovel's tend to need a little love. NOT ALL, but most you find do. That's just the nature of the beast. Stuff that's older tends to need some finessing. I love the looks of the shovel. Aesthetically, it appeal's to me . Very mechanical looking, very cool.

Now an 80" flatty, that's where it's at...

Comment

• tokes61
                  • Apr 2024

Rider728,Garbage ,Sightless. personaly i like the looks of the evo clean and chunky next not wishing to hyjack the thread or change direction comes the knuck i
                  Ive never been a fan of the shovel guese that means im not a true biker even though ive been rideing brits an harleys for bout 40 yrs an not just on the weekends or when the suns out rideing seasons all yr round over here winter or summer wet or shine

Comment

• tokes61
                    • Apr 2024

Bout 2 mths ago me an couple mates went fa a ride me on my sporty jimmy on his fxr an rusty on his dyna a 27 yr old on a streetfighter gets talkin to us ,asks what type of harley im rideing i say sporty he says oh thought they a girls bike an goes on to say he wants a shovel , why a shovel says 1 , oh there the last of the real harleys the best just like your mates there an he points to the dyna , oh says i where you get that from , oh ive read it in magzines an all the bikers ive met say shovels are the best an petyer fonda rode one in easyrider blah blah ,
                    yep heard it all befor ivce got a tee that says SOONER MY SISTER IN A WHOREHOUSE THAN ON A HONDA bullshit

Comment

• easyspeed
                      • Dec 2010

To get thIngs back on track this thread is not dick sizing contest. I've found a couple of bikes around prime for thepickin'. Ones an older evo the other is a later shovel. My question was which of the models where easier maintained, more buildable, or reliable?

Just looking for a good fullsize bike that will take me down the interstate and backroads for hours on end. I have a 69 cb750 chop. I love it , but I don't feel like riding it 80 mph for 2-3 hours straight. Same deal on my xs650. It'sa frigin suped up 4 wheelermotor. They do serve their purpose and I love them, just made it to a point in life to step up.

Can't wait to commit to one or the other, just looking for suggestions. Just looking for one that I can afford parts on and build in my garage. Thanks for the thoughts

Comment

• ARBY
                        • Apr 2024

If you can't work on them yourself and you really have no true love for either the SHOVELHEAD nor the evo, then stick with your 750 Honda and your XS yammy. No one can make the decision for you. You feel it or you don't.

Comment

• rider728
                          • Jan 2010

easier to get parts = evo, but shovel parts aren't super hard to find either

easier to work on = shovel, but most stuff that doesn't require a machine shop you can diy on an evo just as easily

cheapest to buy = a bike you already own, chopped or modded to fit your new riding needs
                          (i think last month's issue of the horse has a great example of a cb750 bred for high speed long distance riding, with tons of style)

my thoughts on this debate can be found here: http://zenbastardsmc.blogspot.com/
                          i don't wanna derail your thread any further, but if people want to read my personal opinions, they're welcome to debate or comment further on the blog

Comment

• ARBY
                            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by rider728
                            i don't wanna derail your thread any further, but if people want to read my personal opinions, they're welcome to debate or comment further on the blog

I totally agreed with your opening statement. After that you"kumbyaed" me out.

What I say- " It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you're in the wind." What I mean, "I'd rather gobble a .45 hollow point than ride that thing!"

Comment

• easyspeed
                              • Dec 2010

Thanks, i'm not looking for the ultimate harley here. Just asking if there was a better direction to go. I know there were better years and things to look out for while purchasing cb's and yami's. Guess it's not the same deal here which is understandable.

My cb will be rock solid and truesty ....one day lol. But a hard hail with 4 under forks on midwest highways is not to much fun. Looking for a machine! A luv ma' chine...

Comment

• garbage
                                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by easyspeed
                                Just asking if there was a better direction to go. I know there were better years and things to look out for while purchasing cb's and yami's. Guess it's not the same deal here which is understandable.
                                That's kinda what kept H-D in business all these years, and made it such a usable drive-train. Lot's of interchangeable parts. It ain't a "dick sizing contest", what yer asking is like splitting hairs. A Harley's a Harley. Whatever you get I'm sure you'll be happy with, just as much as someone else will tell you that their mill is superior, for what ever reason. Since it's yer first foray into American power-plants. and it sounds like you don't wanna monkey with the engine too much, I say go for the Evo.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;