Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bearpaws1973
    • May 2010

How to remove chrome from aluminum

Well I'm trying to get some rockers to just straight aluminum. I know mureatic acid and hydrocloric are no no's, I have heard that ultrasonic cleaning (vibration in a water or solution bath) is the best way. Are there any other ways? thanks in advance
  • punkrod
    • Jul 2011

Take them to a chrome shop to have them "stripped". I've tried acid, sandblasting and electrolysis and having them done by a pro yields the best results.

Comment

• krakerbill
      • May 2010

Originally posted by bearpaws1973
      Well I'm trying to get some rockers to just straight aluminum. I know mureatic acid and hydrocloric are no no's, I have heard that ultrasonic cleaning (vibration in a water or solution bath) is the best way. Are there any other ways? thanks in advance
      i want to strip some chrome as well. i was gonna use acid. why is this a no no? i have heard a professional could cost 2 - 3 times what it would cost to plate. all i'm goin on is hearsay.

Comment

• Ember
        • May 2010

Certain acids will eat the aluminum (pit) fairly quickly. Plus oxidize the aluminum and you will spend days buffing.

Comment

• jimthefred
          • Nov 2009

If you want to see what muratic acid will do to aluminum-take an empty soda bottle and fill it 1/2 way then take a scrap of aluminum and put it in the bottle.Put the cap on tight and then drop the bottle and run like hell! BOOM!!!!!!!Thats what it does!

Comment

• brooklynbomber
            • Sep 2011

I'm interested in doing this also. The PO of my bike went nuts and chromed the rockers and all the cases. I want it gone so I can either do a nice patina on the aluminum or just PC them all black. Some of mine is chipping away though so I'm thinking it might be possible to sand blast it if its brittle?

Comment

• bearpaws1973
              • May 2010

Sounds like the pro's is the way to go. Thanks in again
              j

Comment

• pop
                • Apr 2011

do a search.. you use muriatic acid and a low currant battery charger and in a 1 hr or so she just flakes off... just do a search 1st very dangerous if you don't watch your self

Comment

• Zooligan
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by pop
                  do a search.. you use muriatic acid and a low currant battery charger and in a 1 hr or so she just flakes off... just do a search 1st very dangerous if you don't watch your self
                  On steel you're good. On aluminum you're asking for troubles with this method. I promise.

Comment

• vnygra
                    • Aug 2010

There's been a couple threads that go like this: I got this part I need to strip and polish. What should I do? 10 replies saying use a wire wheel and then mine saying to use a nylon bristle brush. The thread ends with the guy using a wire wheel and a thank you. Then a few days later come the questions about polishing out

Works on removing chrome too. Takes a bit of time but you'll see the chrome come off then the brass or copper layer

Comment

• bearpaws1973
                      • May 2010

Originally posted by pop
                      We use muriatic acid to take galled up aluminum on cutters in the machine shop it eats the aluminum in about 15 minutes. I don't want to pit the aluminum.

Comment

• Tito
                        • May 2010

Besides overpaying a chromer to take it off, there is no shortcut. Elbow grease and sandpaper is what I use. The chrome comes off easy, it's the nickel that takes forever to get down.

Comment

• br3or
                          • Mar 2011

There's totally a shortcut.. Guess I'm the only one? If you want to remove chrome down to bare metal then use this:

Tears down through clear coat paint chrome anything. Doesn't scratch the metal. Although is will swirl aluminum so if you're going to polish it afterwards you're gonna need the brown compound to get rid of the swirls.

***Buy Regular Coarse not extra coarse that the link is to***

Comment

• jackietuxedo
                            • Feb 2010

Ive used a scotchbrite disc on a die grinder for a outer primary but it took a while. Polished up nice though. Try a scotchbrite wheel on a buffer maybe? Same concept as the nylon brush but I would think less time in the final buff.

Comment

• punkrod
                              • Jul 2011

So I did some thinking about this because it come's up fairly often in my builds. A lot of times, I just find a chromosexual and trade parts. It's practically free and if you're good at it, they'll even give you some money for the "upgrade".

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;