Oh look, another hardtailed Sportster project.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • worn
    • Apr 2024

Oh look, another hardtailed Sportster project.

Tore the bike down and started working on the frame - first thing, cut off that massive wrap around headstock gusset lump to be replaced with a couple of neat clean plate gussets.
    I was looking for an inexpensive hardtail and had decided to build my own, went shopping for a used welder but no luck so I ordered the Road 6 hardtail package.
    So, once I get the hardtail installed and assemble the roller I'll decide where I'm going with it.
    The pic shows the bike before tear down the way I've had it for the last couple of years, 6 over front end, raked bearing cups. I'm leaning towards going back to a stock length front end but haven't decided, see what it looks like assembled. The other pics show the naked head stock before clean up and gussets and I threw in a pic of the hardtail package that's on the way.

If there's any interest, I will update this occasionally as I go along.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2011, 3:59 PM.
  • TimB1640
    • Nov 2009

alway game to see what someone will come up with!

Comment

• NHMike
      • Apr 2024

Hell ya man, UPDATES!!!!!

Comment

• bobhopper
        • Jan 2010

Let me know if you go to stock front end, maybe we can work out a deal for the forks .I'd like to rake mine out a bit

Comment

• worn
          • Apr 2024

Originally posted by bobhopper
          Let me know if you go to stock front end, maybe we can work out a deal for the forks .I'd like to rake mine out a bit
          If I do go back to stock forks there will be 6 over tubes, raked bearing cup kit and a braided ss brake line available.
          Attached Files

Comment

• bobhopper
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by worn
            If I do go back to stock forks there will be 6 over tubes, raked bearing cup kit and a braided ss brake line available.
            Yep, just let me know. What degree is the bearing cup set

Comment

• worn
              • Apr 2024

Originally posted by bobhopper
              Yep, just let me know. What degree is the bearing cup set
              The raked bearing cups are 5 degree.

Comment

• XEARLX
                • Oct 2011

let me know how you like that hard tail kit. I'm doing my sporty as well just not sure what direction i'm going in.

I have a couple options:
                1) buy a hard tail kit
                2) buy a hard tail frame
                or 3 get real krafty with my metal working abilities and build my own hard tail frame

Comment

• gyro
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by XEARLX
                  let me know how you like that hard tail kit. I'm doing my sporty as well just not sure what direction i'm going in.

I have a couple options:
                  1) buy a hard tail kit
                  2) buy a hard tail frame
                  or 3 get real krafty with my metal working abilities and build my own hard tail frame
                  i like the hard tail kit cause you don't have to worry about geting something tittled cause the numbers still all match up.

Comment

• XEARLX
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by gyro
                    i like the hard tail kit cause you don't have to worry about geting something tittled cause the numbers still all match up.
                    This is true but if i buy a hardtail frame it comes with a title as well. but if i build the frame i gotta provide a bill and pictures to show that i built the bike and i can go through the state to title it that way

Comment

• gyro
                      • Oct 2010

nah, most cases you buy a frame and you get an mso and you got to go and get some kind of special title then trying to get insurence might be tricky too. if you just cut the back of your frame off of a sportster and put a tail on it and keep the neck where the numbers are then as far as title and insurance go nothing changes.

Comment

• XEARLX
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by gyro
                        nah, most cases you buy a frame and you get an mso and you got to go and get some kind of special title then trying to get insurence might be tricky too. if you just cut the back of your frame off of a sportster and put a tail on it and keep the neck where the numbers are then as far as title and insurance go nothing changes.
                        Yeah thats true but the only other thing i would think of doing is redoing my whole rear end on the sporty i have. I"d get rid of that rear support the swing arm bolts on to and weld in a new support and mounting holes for the engine. that way its that much more flush

Comment

• worn
                          • Apr 2024

Originally posted by XEARLX
                          Yeah thats true but the only other thing i would think of doing is redoing my whole rear end on the sporty i have. I"d get rid of that rear support the swing arm bolts on to and weld in a new support and mounting holes for the engine. that way its that much more flush
                          The Road 6 hardtail has a cover for the swingarm mount and the cut off subframe tubes, one of the reasons I chose it.

Comment

• StopBreakingDown
                            • Jan 2011

What shocks are those? How long are they?

Comment

• worn
                              • Apr 2024

Originally posted by StopBreakingDown
                              What shocks are those? How long are they?
                              11" eye to eye, Progressives

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;