Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vnygra
    • Aug 2010

79 shovel chop

This is my father in laws bike and my winter project. Dirty as hell, leaking all over the place right now.

It will be getting spoke wheels, extending the front end/head tube, seat, exhaust, making forwards, bars, chopping the fat bobs, loosing the sissy bar, signals, dash, and speedo.
    First question for you guys. What the fuck is this ignition?

I thought for sure it was gonna have points in it.
  • vnygra
    • Aug 2010

Started ripping it apart tonight. Wiring was a fuckin mess. Started to Trace and label everything but made NO sence. Wires looped all over, had t-taps,reds,spliced to greens,spliced to whites. Fuck it

Got the oil leak thing fixed. Was the check ball valve in the oil pump. Here's where it is now.

Engine seems like it might clean up ok. Some chrome chipped but will probably take it off and polish.

Comment

• mmi794939
      • Jan 2011

looks like alot of fun

Comment

• vnygra
        • Aug 2010

Got the primary apart tonight. What a PITA without the clutch hub puller tool.

Came up with this fancy top of the line tool. Worked great though

Gonna be cutting up the inner primary and cover to make it "open" while still running an electric start. Not sure if I'll go after that next or wait til mock up time.
        Last edited by vnygra; 10-12-2011, 7:21 PM.

Comment

• vnygra
          • Aug 2010

Got a little farther tonight. Almost ready to start building. Can't wait.

Comment

• vnygra
            • Aug 2010

Have a question for you guys. Does the inner primary hold the "space or distance" between the engine and tran? Or is the spacing all in the plate under the tranny? I'm goin to be doing an open primary with electric start by leaving only the inner where the starte comes through but am not sure I can remove the engine part of the inner primary.

Comment

• vnygra
              • Aug 2010

All the way down. Started cutting tans and mounts off that will not be used on the frame. Also made one of those soda blasters that are from (air-cooled tech??). Works well, but not for something like an engine. I'm thinking I'm gonna pick up a hf one this week and try to get the engine/trans blasted before it gets too cold out.

Comment

• shiftace
                • Aug 2009

the inner primary doesn't "hold the space" exactly. That is the job of the mounts but being an assembly line bike those dimensions are rarely square and accurate. The primary does though create a solid connection between the eng and trans, especially with using an elec start. That starter can twist and turn pretty hard and eventually twist stuff out of line. Most times I've seen a stock inner chopped up they always leave a good solid link between the motor and trans. That inner bearing on the trans needs support too to keep it from failing. If itwas a show bike I'd say cut it to shreda, but for a serious rider you'll want some kind of support back there. Maybe just speed hole the hell out of the inner and hole or louver the outer?

Comment

• vnygra
                  • Aug 2010

Thanks for the reply man. Will probably chop up, but keep the inner.

Well I ended up making a soda blaster tonight. I have been looking at the hf one and reviews were sorta mixed so I didn't really want to blow $100 on that. And I had an old co2 tank so I figured I'd give it a shot. The fittings are kinda half assed but I only used what I had laying around, and it works way better than I could have imagined.

It's sorta late here so I can't really take it out and try it, plus I didn't have much baking soda. But I tried it out for a second and managed to blast some skin off my finger running it at 60 psi. Try to get some stuff done tomorrow and take pics.

Comment

• ironhead86
                    • Feb 2011

From what I have been told if it is kick only ditch the inner if you are going to run a electric or are sloppy or your bolt and nut checking run it. like dude said. If you are not going to run it use it for dialing all your shit in. tourqe it all down then take it off. You can always cut it way back too so ther is like a 1/4 lip all the way around that keeps the back plate there to do the job of keeping shit in line. And if you don't run it. You need to get a beefier outer bearing.... I think.. Btw nice man I would be thankful to wrench on a shovel instead of staring at parts waiting to wrench

Comment

• vnygra
                      • Aug 2010

Yea I think that's what's gonna happen, only leaving the plate, not the dish part. And I'm definitely thankful to have a free project for the winter. Don't know what I would have done. Lol.

Comment

• aaronc
                        • Apr 2024

Damn it now you got me wanting to redo my 70,its in good shape but its not very chopped.

Comment

• vnygra
                          • Aug 2010

Do it Aaron. Btw definitely gonna need your help putting the engine back together in a few months. Lol

I got to try out the blaster today. Also put on a real soda blaster nozzle. Works alright but was blowing way too much soda. I think I'm gonna weld the bottom of the pick up tube closed and do a few small holes in the side of it.

It did work awesome on aluminum parts. The cases are the main thing that need blasted though. Hopefully fixing that tune will make it operate a little quicker.

This took about 20 minutes, since it was dumping soda all over it.

Comment

• vnygra
                            • Aug 2010

Got it dialed in today! Wasn't goin well, and decided to flip it upside down (not sure why I thought harbor freight would have the best design) and worked much better, but still too much soda. So capped it and put 3 small holes in a brass fitting

Here's the nozzle set up

Pit some legs on it

And just to give it a shot, did this. Forgot a before, but it was pretty gross, and the compressor was only at 65psi, (10pm, attached garage, 4 year old, lol)

Comment

• vnygra
                              • Aug 2010

So we decided to go with a weld on hardtail for this thing. After looking all over the Internet and seeing prices of around 200, which wasn't bad for the santee. Decided to call a local shop, $140 for the santee. Could have saved some time there. Put in some 3 degree cups last night. Seemed like it would be pretty simple. What a pain in the ass to get em aligned.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;