CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default xs650 local fork gaiter how-to

so mikes has been killing it lately, but a common complaint is some of their rubber products. i needed a way to protect my new fork seals, and the nasty amount of time that went into changing them, i knew i didnt want to do that again. so i set out to find a local supply for some fork gaiters. went to 3 different auto supply houses and i finally found something that i thought would work. universal rack and pinion boots. heres a little how-to to make this a little easier.

advance auto

the boots, you will need two. $15.99 a piece

item number for easy ordering or finding, not always the brightest group working behind the counters.

you will need someway to clamp these suckers down these are what i bought and they worked perfectly. they come with zip ties, but i thought these would be a little better.
    $2.49 a piece

again item numbers for your convenience.

here they are out of the box. notice the two ends are different.

on the bigger end cut this amount off, i started with scissors, ended up using a x-acto knife.

little end cut this amount off.

now, when they are clamped down its a tight seal, so you will need someway for these to breathe or you will have a shriveled up boot that may actually affect the rebound/damping of your forks. cant make any promises of this but it makes since to me. drilling rubber sucks, i tried, it doesnt work that great. i read somewhere that someone used a hole punch. all i could find was my daughters star shaped hole punch. this is most likely not the smartest move, because there is now 5 different points that will pry cause it to split. i used what i had on hand. im happy with it. i punched them on the bottom end one pleat up on the side that is going on the back end to hide it.

slide them on. the top hole is a tight fit. dont go crazy and tear anything.

slide the lower over, its tight, but nothing too bad

now, go ahead and put your forks back on the bike, put your wheel back on, use a torque wrench and tighten everything back down. i hit my lowers on the buffing wheel for a second just to clean up a little.

i shot my clamps with some rustolem glossy black, turned out nice. anyways, the top lines up perfectly, almost looks like it was supposed to be there. there is a crease on the bottom, but its fine if you ask me.

now straighten your new gaiters up, slide the top end up to your bottom triple. make sure your vents are on the back. looking back at it, i would pry put the vertical seams on the sides instead of front and back, just for looks. tighten your clamps and your done.

final thoughts.
    i have 34mm forks. i VERY highly doubt that guys with 35mm would have any problems installing. they are tight, but it is rubber and it stretches pretty good.
    total cost was $39.18. didnt take too long. i didnt really want gaiters for the look of my bike, but after about 2.2 seconds i ended up really liking them. and the best part was finding them locally and supporting my surrounding economy.
    Last edited by cros36; 10-03-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

nice job man .. they're clean looking

Get Adobe Flash player

You could have bought the ones from Mikes for less, but they look good.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Billyboy13 View Post
    You could have bought the ones from Mikes for less, but they look good.
    ive heard that the ones from mikes fall apart in a couple months. the main reason for the local resource of these. still made in china tho, so i guess ill just have to wait and see how they do.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice work man! I might have used older wire type clamps if available but it's still very good. Reminds me of my grandpa. hem made to most ingenious stuff out of things he could get locally, or that he found. People have lost that talent these days, it seems. Kudos

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by cros36 View Post
    ive heard that the ones from mikes fall apart in a couple months. the main reason for the local resource of these. still made in china tho, so i guess ill just have to wait and see how they do.
    Ah ok, my bad. I hadn't heard about there being a problem with his. If those wear out on you give me a shout, I bought a set from mikes for my XS but didn't like the way they looked, you can have them for shipping.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Billyboy13 View Post
    Ah ok, my bad. I hadn't heard about there being a problem with his. If those wear out on you give me a shout, I bought a set from mikes for my XS but didn't like the way they looked, you can have them for shipping.

If he doesn't want them I'll take them!!!! Let me know.

Thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

if billyboy wants to hand them out then feel free. i appreciate the offer but im feeling pretty confident in these.

Get Adobe Flash player

I thought they are supposed to fit over the lower fork legs like the dust seal does considering the lower leg slides over the fork. How is the gator going to move with the lower leg?

Get Adobe Flash player

Never mind,went back and looked at the pics and saw that it slides on to the lower fork leg.

Share This