Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vinny
    • Mar 2010

The most uncomfortable thing possible

So a few weeks ago me and Punkskalar were talking about how unfullfilled I am in my current job and how I wanted to design and fabricate something new and just general bitching. We, and by we I mean he, came up with this idea. Since I was born in a woodshop and only transitioned to metal after getting into motorcycles and I have already tested the wood in the outdoor, beaten to hell, motorcycle application this made sense.

I have experimented with a few different types of seats: metal pan, slung leather, upholstered, and I plan to revisit the slung leather, but I hadn't seen anything quite like this. I modeled these up and after a few test cuts I cut a few on the CNC at my old alma mater and finished them out. I put a metal pan underneath for added support and I used threaded inserts in the wood for the hing mounts and the spring studs. It is designed to work with a biltwell hinge but it would be easy to modify for any situation. I am trying to get a blog together soon and produce a small run of these if there is interest as well as the carb manifolds that I make and a few other things that I have been working on. For now though I just need to get these out and ridden on.

So here is the deal: If you ride a solo seat and you would be willing to try one of these out let me know. I have two available for now and I will give one to you outright if you garantee that you will beat the hell out of it and let me know how it holds up. I don't expect any problems but I want to be sure.

I will ask that you pay the shipping and that you send me pictures of it installed on a running bike shortly after recieving it. And then keep me somewhat updated as far as condition and how many miles and how it feels on your ass you know stuff like that.

I did carve my "company" name in them mostly because I wanted to experiment with three dimensional engraving: the good news it works which means I can carve about any design you could think of into these seats, the bad news you have to ride around with a yankee on your ass!

Ok sorry for the long thread sorry for the shameful plug, hit me up if you are interested in helping out, please delete this thread and tell me that I'm an asshole if this is against the rules in any way!
  • NHMike
    • Apr 2024

OK

A. THAT SEAT IS FUCKING AWESOME!

B. I WISH I had a bike I could put one of these on at the moment.

C. If they work out, I would definitely be interested in just PAYING for one.

D. To the lucky bastard that's going to rock one of these free of charge. Fuck You!

Nice work man!! How do you expect them to hold up to weather? What kind of care would one require? or are these questions that you're going to be answering after a while?

Comment

• gs650
      • Jul 2010

Looks good. My cousin is a cabinet maker and made a seat for his chop that I helped him build. Every time we ride somewhere it gets a lot of attention. Most think its got to be uncomfortable but it's not that bad. I don't have any pics since he finished it.

Comment

• theghostoflLinkWray
        • Mar 2011

These are nice. I would buy one if I had a bike they would work on.

Comment

• Punkskalar
          • Jan 2010

Fuck Yes

Comment

• gyro
            • Oct 2010

I dont have a biltwell hinge but I will stick it on my cheap ass door hinge set up and run it untill I deploy and let you know what happens. But I am scheduled to deploy in the spring so I can't promise a ton of miles over the winter. but I always try to ride if there is no snow or ice.

Comment

• BritonBees
              • Aug 2011

now that is sweet indeed, great job, great company name too

Comment

• ridemore16
                • Oct 2009

I sent a PM...I'd love to ride this thing. My Ironhead is finally right and I'm planning on logging a ton of miles this winter.

And I have a Biltwell hinge....it's meant to be!
                Last edited by ridemore16; 09-27-2011, 8:59 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

• MotorCityOutlaw
                  • Sep 2009

That is awesome.

Comment

• Vinny
                    • Mar 2010

Ok so as far as weather what I have seen with the knee pucks I put on my kz is that they got lighter gradually which is what I expected. Walnut will bleach in the sun. There are ways around this by using heavy plasticky finishes but I didn;t want to go that route. I don't think the color changed that much and I only put one quick coat of polyurethane on the knee pucks. These seats have four coats and I took much more care with them. I don't see any reason they will not hold up. It might be a decent idea to give them a little scuff down once a year and reapply some poly but that is all as far as maintenance.

I didn't expect so much love. Thanks I am glad yall like them. For the few of you that have expressed interest in running them I am looking through your profiles and honestly just trying to decide who I want to send them to. I do have a friend here local who is interested in one but his bike is currently exhibiting some electrical problems so depending on how fast he gets it sorted.

I will have one on my kz hopefully by the end of the week and with any luck the damn thing will actually run for more than a few weeks so I will log some miles and try to beat the snot out of one of these as well. As soon as I am satisfied I want to make a small run of these.

Thanks again for the support. Hopefully I will have a blog soon and hopefully I can put up some in use photos too.

Comment

• wilkesbooth
                      • Mar 2011

would work great for my bike... I don't even have a seat so it would be cool to try out!

Comment

• starwolf
                        • Apr 2024

I would certainly rock one of those, my bike got rained on & kinda jacked up my seat a bit, I dont have a biltwell hinge,tho it is similar. Need to get clutch work done then should be able to hit the road.

Comment

• garbage
                          • Apr 2024

Send one to Chopper Charlie. He does an insane amount of miles, and would be an excellent "research engineer".

Comment

• turbonate
                            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by garbage
                            Send one to Chopper Charlie. He does an insane amount of miles, and would be an excellent "research engineer".
                            ^^^ i second that, charlie is a freak^^^

Comment

• LDNCLR
                              • Nov 2009

the "thinking outside the box" is what makes this place so damn cool.

good job!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;