Email Password Mobile Version / Desktop Version
Search
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 1989 Sportster

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynbomber View Post
    Gabe - What kind of tester, like a multi-meter? How will it show a signal? I'd love a new single fire system, just not in the cards yet.
    Yeah I would put a multimeter on it . and if the reading changes as the engine spins , I would assume you have spark to the coil. I would think anyway. As far as what it would read I have no idea . but if it changes then you know something is traveling thru the wire.

Get Adobe Flash player

Those riser thing..... really great.. Need to find my old riser then....

Get Adobe Flash player

After finding a melted and failed cam sensor, I decided that it's time to replace the whole ignition system. Chatting with Salty a little bit, I decided to run what he's got, the Dynatek 2ki system with the mini "Twin Fire" coil. It's a single fire unit which should get me going right.

Ewwwww.

But on another note, a buddy gave me some risers that I put on the other day. They looks pretty slick I must say!

Get Adobe Flash player

Those risers are sweet dude!

Get Adobe Flash player

Got my girl back together on Saturday/Sunday and took it for a little spin out near an abandoned air strip in south Brooklyn.

Going to do some minor tweaks here and there and get the front brake back on, do a little painting on the tank but leaving it mostly raw still. Installed the Dynatek 2ki and this baby purrs like a ferocious lion.

This camera kind sucks, damn iphone. Oh well. I'll take some more when the little tweaks are done, but I'm loving this bike.

Get Adobe Flash player

looks great, I got the same ign mod. How did you set it up?I'm a little oblivious to ign timing

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bobhopper View Post
    looks great, I got the same ign mod. How did you set it up?I'm a little oblivious to ign timing
    It's pretty simple actually. Purple wire goes to VOES (optional, but recommended), Green goes to Tach if your running one, white goes to positive terminal, pink goes to rear and blue goes to front (I think I have that right, check your instructions to be sure.)

Once the initial hook up is done, it gets even easier Just jack up the rear wheel, access your timing cover and put the bike into high gear and rotate the rear wheel until you see that the front cylinder is at TDC. Check your manual for that to make sure you get that right. I took out the spark plugs to make it easier to turn the rear wheel.

Once you set that, rotate the plate all the way counter clockwise, the sensor light should come on. turn the plate clockwise until the light turns off and lock the plate down. BOOM. your engine is timed.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynbomber View Post
    it's pretty simple actually. Purple wire goes to voes (optional, but recommended), green goes to tach if your running one, white goes to positive terminal, pink goes to rear and blue goes to front (i think i have that right, check your instructions to be sure.)

once the initial hook up is done, it gets even easier just jack up the rear wheel, access your timing cover and put the bike into high gear and rotate the rear wheel until you see that the front cylinder is at tdc. Check your manual for that to make sure you get that right. I took out the spark plugs to make it easier to turn the rear wheel.

Once you set that, rotate the plate all the way counter clockwise, the sensor light should come on. Turn the plate clockwise until the light turns off and lock the plate down. Boom. Your engine is timed.
    thank you!!!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

the Dyna is worth it , huh? I'm loveing mine.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Saltytonk View Post
    the Dyna is worth it , huh? I'm loveing mine.
    Yup, totally worth it! Such an easy set up and I know now that I have so many worry free miles ahead of me. That thing packs a punch too.

mattxxx

might want to look into the ultima ignition for those who are thinking about a new ignition. its just a rebranded dyna and its about 100 cheaper.

Get Adobe Flash player

Tried something with the tank yesterday and not super happy with the results but I figured I would show the process as that part was fun.

Raw tank has been getting rusty

I wanted to lay some black paint over the raw metal and I took some inspiration of some rad flaked tank designs so I laid out a basic concept after drawing a sketch.

The black tape was used as a guide for my final tape layout.

Started laying out some skinny lines on the left side panel

Here is the final layout.

Threw some red primer on first then started with the black.

This is where I went wrong I think. I may have put too many coats on, surprisingly. I wanted to make sure I had good coverage but the edges were pretty thick and when I was peeling the tape, some areas peeled up. I pulled the tape pretty quickly because I knew that could happen if I waited too long but it happened anyway.

Here's the final result, just ok in my opinion. I may try it again and now do as many layers and simplify it a little bit next time.

Makes me really want to use real paint and a proper spray gun, rattle can is easy but spotty results. Also, this looks a little too tribally for me too, I like the big panel of black with the contrast of the raw metal, so I may draw another design and have another go at it next weekend.

Get Adobe Flash player

Cool design! Man I always have some tape issues when I paint. Always........

You can pick up one of those hvlp guns from harbor frieght for less than $20 and they do ok.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'll pick something up soon, I just need to get a proper booth set up. I'll probably try it again with fewer coats of paint and peel it right away.

I get frustrated with shit that comes out half ass like this, so it'll eventually bug me to the point where I'll strip it off.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've been thinking of doing a tank similar ......except do it with sharpie and then clear over it.

Get Adobe Flash player

That sounds cool! I am going to let it rust to have paint/rust/raw metal kinda look. It might make it look a little rattier/better.

read the whole thread. bike is looking great. what bars are they?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
    read the whole thread. bike is looking great. what bars are they?
    BB - Thanks man, appreciate that. Bars are from a CC member, Bootleg. He fabs them and powdercoats them. Really cool bars so far.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hit it with some wet 800 or 1000 and make it look distressed... then you won't sweat the imperfections as much.

Practice on a test panel first...

Get Adobe Flash player

Cool idea, looks great!

Share This