CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 5 of 8 First ... 34567 ... Last

Thread: 1989 Sportster

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynbomber View Post
    That washer is probably 1/8" thick
    Yeah, I missed that part the first time I looked at it.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a stock clutch cable and have found this lever which is for an older model group, would there be any reason I couldn't run it on mine? From the photo where the cable end goes in, it looks very similar to what I have now but I'm sure it's not that simple. I would LOVE to run this on my bike, even with a little modification if necessary.

Clutch Lever

Get Adobe Flash player

Yes you can run it, but you do not want to trust those stupid little white clips to keep the pin in place. I used a turned down bolt and nut.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't know if yours is the same as mine but, I ordered an old blade style from wompy that's supoused to work with a modern sportster cable.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Get Adobe Flash player

Will work... Basically the same...but bolt running through.

..radius need to be cut down a little though.

Get Adobe Flash player

YESSSS Those levers are boss.

Get Adobe Flash player

Great build thread. Just read it start to finish. Good pics and description throughout, and the bike is looking great. My friend Alex (CC "Heckler") has a similar build going right now.

If I can ask, what front wheel is that? It looks like a stock mag, but larger, but that might just be an optical illusion from the smaller front tire.

Any rate, bike is looking great

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Buster68 View Post
    Great build thread. Just read it start to finish. Good pics and description throughout, and the bike is looking great. My friend Alex (CC "Heckler") has a similar build going right now.

If I can ask, what front wheel is that? It looks like a stock mag, but larger, but that might just be an optical illusion from the smaller front tire.

Any rate, bike is looking great
    Many, many, many thanks my friend. I have had a lot of fun with this bike and glad I've documented the process. I read through the whole thing again and its funny to read comments I made about certain decisions I either kept with or changed a long the way. I am learning a lot from this build, mainly how to strive to be better at it.

The front is a stock 19" mag with a skinny dunlop. I am going to get a ribbed style front tire in a bit after this girl is running.

The engine is still a chrome disaster so that will have to wait for a little bit until I figure exactly what I want to do with it. I only have to trim and tap the stock engine mount to hold the ignitioin coils and all the fab is done. I may make a removable rack for camping gear for this next but we'll see. The goal is having all the parts I need painted, engine running, wiring cleaned up, controls done and give her a good shake down within 30 days. Totally doable for sure, just planning on a few setbacks here or there.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynbomber View Post
    Many, many, many thanks my friend. I have had a lot of fun with this bike and glad I've documented the process. I read through the whole thing again and its funny to read comments I made about certain decisions I either kept with or changed a long the way. I am learning a lot from this build, mainly how to strive to be better at it.

The front is a stock 19" mag with a skinny dunlop. I am going to get a ribbed style front tire in a bit after this girl is running.

The engine is still a chrome disaster so that will have to wait for a little bit until I figure exactly what I want to do with it. I only have to trim and tap the stock engine mount to hold the ignitioin coils and all the fab is done. I may make a removable rack for camping gear for this next but we'll see. The goal is having all the parts I need painted, engine running, wiring cleaned up, controls done and give her a good shake down within 30 days. Totally doable for sure, just planning on a few setbacks here or there.
    Yeah its fun to look back at all the mistakes or decisions made. Whats cool is alot of the cooler stuff that really makes my build work came out of a screw up and then figureing it out and fixing it.

Chrome can be powder coated BTW.

I'm loveing all the jap style builds that have been going on.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default She Lives!

Got all the wiring buttoned up this weekend. Thanks in part to Billdozers great simple wiring diagram and the help from others when I had some questions but this has worked out great and she fired RIGHT UP!

First off earlier this week I wrapped my pipes

Trimmed the clamps and put them on.

For now I just modified the stock top motor mount and relocated the ignition and mounted my front light switch here.

Got everything connected and wrapped, took her outside for her initial test. One bonehead move I made though during fabrication was buying 1/8" NPT bungs to mount my tank. I didnt know they dont make bolts for this so I tried drilling and tapping these to a new size, broke my tap so I have to drill these out and re weld in new bungs to fit 5/16" bolts. Oh well, minor set back! I was super stoked that after 3 months of sleeping, she fired up like she had been fired up yesterday.

Here's a shot of the wiring panel side. Indian Larry Motorcycles is literally a few doors down from me and they are super rad dudes! I want to sticker the hell out of this battery from people I've bought stuff from.

Lastly, my tail light. I've yelled this plenty of times during this build so I jumped at the opportunity and got this from a rad CC member.

I'm kinda tapped out for money right now so a few things I want to do will just have to wait. Front brake will be installed, just need a new braided front line. I will do a few cool things with the tank and fender with left over paint I have but now I just need to spend some time cleaning a few things and once I get the tank mount sorted out, I will be riding this gal all season long.

More pics to come this following weekend.
    Last edited by brooklynbomber; 04-08-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I can't wait to see the end result. Looks real good man.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looking good Man!! Your switch panel looks really good. I bet its tight in there. I know mine is and I dont have quite as much as yours gong on there. Feels good to get those wires figured out tho ...huh?

Get Adobe Flash player

Aghost - Thanks! It should be looking good here in the next few weeks!

Gabe - Yeah its REALLY tight in there haha. I barely have room to get a screw driver to tighten those screw terminals but a flat head works best and they are snug. I will be putting some liquid electrical tape on them to make sure they dont go anywhere when I'm riding. Also - now that Im done wiring it, it seems so easy! Before it was so confusing. As everything on this bike build has been for me since I really havent done any of this before has seemed so daunting at first when its over I say "oh, that wasn't so hard"

Get Adobe Flash player

Had been enjoying riding her around the neighborhood, to work and back and just ripping around waking up all the neighbors. There is a large industrial area near where I live so I went WOT down one of the streets, got through two gears, let off and she cut out.

Lights, starter and everything else works just wont fire. Lukcily my wiring makes it pretty easy to check so I've got to run some tests and start eliminating some things. Has gas and air, tested the plugs quick while I was on the side of the road and have no spark. I'm thinking it's either the pin connector on the control module that came loose or I've got a dead coil.

Can I use a multi-meter or check all the ignition components?

Get Adobe Flash player

Well I guess check voltage to the coil first . If you have power going in . then there ya go. Double check all your connections . If you used any butt connectors , one of them could be loose.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ya now that its back in my shop (had to get it towed) I can test a few things and eliminate quickly. I didnt modify any of the wiring of the ignition, except shorten them slightly at the ends for the connection to the coil so they all received new ring connectors which all looked good. I used only spade and rings on the CB's and ignition. I used spades on the CB's and think even though it'll be a little bit of a pain in the arse because its so tight I am going to switch them all to rings.

Major bummer though as it's going to be in the 70's average all week here. Hope to get it road going again. It was mighty glorious for those few days though.

Get Adobe Flash player

Okay, here's what I know so far.

Gas - check
    Compression - check
    Spark - none

12v when ignition key switch on...
    -ignition terminal on key switch
    -positive coil terminal
    -negative coil terminal.

There was another check at the pin connectors which said to re connect the blue wire to coil terminal and have left the spark plug out. As stated, the check said to have the positive lead to red socket plug and ground to black pin connector (ignition module side) and get around 4.5-5volts. This did not happen. Not quite sure I understand that test. Not positive where the power is coming from to test those volts. It also said to groUnd those pins with a screw driver to get a large spark at the tip, that also did not happen. Manual says to check ignition module resistance. However, if I have bad coil, would I get this result also with no spark traveling to plug? The one test I couldn't perform is ignition module ohm resistance and ignition coil test with the jumper wire.

Help me understand coils better here. I just don't want to throw parts at it to fix it, but do the essential tests to fully understand the no spark issue. By having power to the coils but no spark means bad coil or is it possible to not get a spark by other issues? With the other tests I did, anyone have any other thoughts? Bike was running flawlessly and then after a short near WOT run down the street; engine shut off. All other electronics working fine.

All wires and connections seem to be in good working order.
    Last edited by brooklynbomber; 04-17-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's a few things it did in my attempts to refire the first night.

It started and ran for about 2 seconds and then died. Awhile again no starting, it coughed and ran for a second but sounded on 1 cylinder and died. No start after that since.

Get Adobe Flash player

I think if you put a tester on the "signal" wires to the coil and then try to start it , you can see if its getting signal or spark from the module. That would tell you if its the coil or the module.

With that being said.......I really , really love my new ignition system. It got rid of even more wires, gives it a slight hop up ( which would be even more on your bike since you are currently dual fire). And its alot simpler/cleaner. You can get the same system except with a single coil for around $250 ...I think.

I run the Dynatek 2000i.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Saltytonk View Post
    I think if you put a tester on the "signal" wires to the coil and then try to start it , you can see if its getting signal or spark from the module. That would tell you if its the coil or the module.

With that being said.......I really , really love my new ignition system. It got rid of even more wires, gives it a slight hop up ( which would be even more on your bike since you are currently dual fire). And its alot simpler/cleaner. You can get the same system except with a single coil for around $250 ...I think.

I run the Dynatek 2000i.
    Gabe - What kind of tester, like a multi-meter? How will it show a signal? I'd love a new single fire system, just not in the cards yet.

Share This