CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18

    Default Glass Fuel Sight from McMaster-Carr

    I've seen these recommended but had a few questions for anyone that's used them or knows the info.

    http://www.mcmaster.com/#bull's-eye-sights/=e7y76a

    I'm looking at the first set of glass sights, unless you've used or have info on some of the others listed.


    1. Does the material matter (Brass, plated steel, Alum, etc.)? None say they are rated for gas.
    2. Does connection type matter NPT or BSPP?
    3. What is the minimum size that is still functional? Trying to go as small as practical.
    4. Any need for the reflector?

    Thanx

  2. #2
    NHMike
    Guest

    Default

    I'm 99.9% certain I've seen at least one bike on here with one of those. I've often thought about doing something similar, but on a larger scale. Maybe 5 or 6 inches in diameter.

  3. #3
    sohcool
    Guest

    Default

    1) You can use any of the materials you want.
    2) NPT is more common here, but you need to remember it's a tapered thread and they're not gonna sit flush.
    3) Any size is functional.
    4) The reflector is good to have for the ability to see whats in there.

    Why have one when you can have 7 though? lol



    Sorry I don't have one with the sight windows in it. Tank is cut right now getting a new tunnel and frisco job. :thumbup:

  4. #4
    NHMike
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sohcool View Post
    1) You can use any of the materials you want.
    2) NPT is more common here, but you need to remember it's a tapered thread and they're not gonna sit flush.
    3) Any size is functional.
    4) The reflector is good to have for the ability to see whats in there.

    Why have one when you can have 7 though? lol



    Sorry I don't have one with the sight windows in it. Tank is cut right now getting a new tunnel and frisco job. :thumbup:

    That's fucking cool. If you don't post pics when that's finished, I will find you, and kick you in your baby maker.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    pics when finished or it didnt happen. shits gnarly

  6. #6
    sohcool
    Guest

    Default

    It's getting painted by the most radical flake sprayer I've ever seen, and there will be pics. Thought rhis isn't the most crazy part of this bike.

    But yeah, get you some brass windows. Shits schweet.

  7. #7
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18

    Default



    Sorry I don't have one with the sight windows in it. Tank is cut right now getting a new tunnel and frisco job. :thumbup:[/QUOTE]

    Thank does look sick

    I was thinking of doing something similar except up the middle of the tank, and put 2 or 3 (measure tank in 3rds or 4ths).


    You say since NPT is tapered that the sight glass "bolt" won't go down all they way. I wonder if that is fixable? Does that happen with BSPP?

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    111

    Default

    I picked up one of those Sight Glasses. it stuck out to much so I had Special 79 make me a bung that allowed it to sit a lot more flush.

  9. #9
    ARBY
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sohcool View Post
    It's getting painted by the most radical flake sprayer I've ever seen, and there will be pics. Thought rhis isn't the most crazy part of this bike.

    But yeah, get you some brass windows. Shits schweet.
    And who might this celebrated sprayer of the flake be???

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    sohcool that tank is... well so cool. I have been checking out that pic on your profile pic really want to see it done now that I know what is going on with it.

  11. #11
    sohcool
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARBY View Post
    And who might this celebrated sprayer of the flake be???
    I'll be keeping that info on the hush till its sprayed.

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dreboogie View Post
    I've seen these recommended but had a few questions for anyone that's used them or knows the info.

    http://www.mcmaster.com/#bull's-eye-sights/=e7y76a

    I'm looking at the first set of glass sights, unless you've used or have info on some of the others listed.


    1. Does the material matter (Brass, plated steel, Alum, etc.)? None say they are rated for gas.
    2. Does connection type matter NPT or BSPP?
    3. What is the minimum size that is still functional? Trying to go as small as practical.
    4. Any need for the reflector?

    Thanx


    The BSPP is a straight thread that allows the site to sit flush and flat. I machine bungs for steel applications, work great with fuel.

    http://kilbydeuce.com/09/parts.php?bungs=1

    The only BSPP site Mcmaster sells is the aluminum site. I have the brass and stainless sites all in BSPP thread and 3/8 or 1/2 window.

    http://kilbydeuce.com/09/parts.php?sgauge=1

    peace

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    551

    Default

    I want my bullseye in 3D!!


Share This



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in