Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tattoo2303
    • Aug 2009

Tire changing tricks and tips

well I've spent the past 2 hours trying to break the bead on a front tire, haven't even started on the rear yet- so in sheer desperation I've given up! LOL

so lets hear em tips, tricks, and advice on how you can get an old one off and a new one on in the average joe schmo garage with limited tools...............
  • NHMike
    • Apr 2024

If I remember correctly, we used a couple 2X4's and a big old C-Clamp to break the bead.

The best tip I have....

Spend $20 and bring the tire and the rim to a shop. WAY less aggravation! hahahahaha

Comment

• turtlem1969
      • Sep 2010

Get two 2x4 about 6 inches long, can of penetrating oil, c-clamp. Spray the penetrating oil around the edge of the bead on both sides in the morning when ya go to work, when ya get home the oil should have worked its way between the tire and rim, put the 2x4's on opposite side of tire next to rim and tighten down the c-clamp, you may have to relocate 2x4's a couple times, when ya get the tire off wash the oil off and dry the rim and then run a little bit of dish sop around the edge of the tire and have fun putting it on. You can also take a cold chisel and work the tire loose from the rim.

Comment

• finkedskin
        • Mar 2011

I've used a c-clamp before, put it around the tire as close to the rim as possible and tighten it down. It should seperate it enough to get a screwdriver in and seperate the rest.

Comment

• Twinkies
          • Aug 2009

heres another tip that works for car/truck/motorcycle/dirtbike tires...
          have a floor jack/bottle jack/scissor jack? have a car/truck with a frame/trailer hitch, etc?

put the two together.. carefully... with a tire between...presto.
          thats how we do it in muthafuckin Esconghetto, california..

we also have $20 (or cheaper) tire mounting services here.. so like NHMike said.. thats the best way to do it.

oh.. and youtube has some great how to's like the trash bag trick..

Comment

• flourman
            • Jun 2010

I spend $20 on the harbor freight bead breaker. Before that I used the base of a handy-man (hi-lift) jack and put the jack under the bumper of a cage.

Comment

• rooster52478
              • Aug 2010

Here's how we did it just the other day. The short piece of wood has a bit of an angle cut into it to help get a good hold against the rim. Then some soapy water and tire spoons and we were done. Pretty easy really after getting the bead broke.

Comment

• kevinphan
                • Aug 2009

If you don't need the old tire, I just take an cutting disc to the tire and just cut it off. The easiest way I've found out to mount a tire is just lay a plastic trash bag over the rim, inflate the tube a little bit and insert it into the tire, then you place the tire over the rim and just apply downward pressure and the trash bag should let the tire slip on.

Comment

• inxs
                  • Sep 2009

Here is a video of me using the old truck and 2x4 trick.

Comment

• JH282
                    • May 2010

+1 Harbor Freight bead breaker

Comment

• CMA406
                      • Apr 2010

i do the 2x4 trick for getting them off, also heat them up.

for putting them on, take em to the shop and saves yourself hours of bullshit, not to mention doing it yourself is a GREAT way to chip a freshly coated rim, ask me how i know....

Comment

• swbiill
                        • May 2010

Just did some last night. I throw the wheel up on the arbor press. Pops right off.

Comment

• TRUMPNUT
                          • Jul 2009

Brace the wheel with some 2X4's or rolled up jackets if you are on the side of the road . Then take your buddies bike and use his kick stand push the bead down while standing on the tire .

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;