Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shovelzilla
    • Aug 2011

Sovelhead rebuild

A little over 4 years ago my grandpaw passed away due to liver cancer,and the one thing he left to me is a 1978 FLH but its a basket case and its literally tore completely down.Its been in milk crates for almost 17 years (he tore it down to do a ground up rebuild about the time i was born) and i have no idea where to start.I took inventory to see what i had and found out alot of shits missing (trans case,tanks,fenders,shocks,and alot of other misc parts).I finally got somewhat of a steady income so im ready to get started on it this winter,and im really leaning to a Frisco/Bobber style bike,anybody have any suggestions or tips?
  • A1bobberCrazyCanuk
    • Aug 2011

First youre gonna need to decide on the frame you wanna go with .The internet will be your best freind on this one bro. Alot of great builders here who can help ya out tons . Get a manual for the shovel and start to wrenching her together . Good luck and happy wrenching !

Comment

• Shovelzilla
      • Aug 2011

Sorry forgot to mention i do have the stock swingarm frame,anyway thanks man

Comment

• Zooligan
        • Oct 2009

Start off by looking through these threads to help you decide where you're heading with this build:

Due to laws down unda im looking for some inspiration to prove swingarm chops aint so bad! Post pics any style that show how cool and simple swingarm chops can be!

Comment

• Shovelzilla
          • Aug 2011

I really like the bare bones look,no bs and just practical

Comment

• Shovelzilla
            • Aug 2011

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TUVpJByWa0...2Bswingarm.jpg this is more or less what im going for,minus the goofy rabbit ear bars

Comment

• aaronc
              • Apr 2024

That pappa clutch has a bolt on hardtail for that.I havent used one but they look good and you dont have to cut yer frame.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                • Apr 2010

Best investment, is a parts manual for that year sled.

Comment

• Shovelzilla
                  • Aug 2011

First things first ill be sure to get a manual,and the bolt-on hard tail does look good but before i spend 500$ for one ill try some solid struts to see if i can handle a rigid,my sportster's still a softie and its a little rough to me (maybe because im used to dirt bikes).Anybody know of some good engine builders in or around AL?

Comment

• Zooligan
                    • Oct 2009

To me, hardtail bikes all look the same. I like the swingarm bobber look myself. Got that "crazy contraption" thing going on.

Comment

• superglide
                      • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Shovelzilla
                      First things first ill be sure to get a manual,and the bolt-on hard tail does look good but before i spend 500$ for one ill try some solid struts to see if i can handle a rigid,my sportster's still a softie and its a little rough to me (maybe because im used to dirt bikes).Anybody know of some good engine builders in or around AL?
                      I've had a Papa Clutch bolt on since April and after 4000 miles i love it , putting struts on will make your bike ride like shit . Call Larry over at Garage Co. for your engine .

Comment

• Shovelzilla
                        • Aug 2011

True that zooligan,couldnt have said it better.Ive heard alot about Garage co. but never knew they were only a hour and a half ride from home! thanks yall ill be sure to add pics over time

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;