CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    gravitywerx

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediblah View Post
    Dare I ask what exactly happened that made you dislike Flyrite so much? I have the smokin gun frame on my current sporty build, and it's a great frame. The guys at Flyrite have been nothing but cool every time I've talked to them so far. Not saying you didn't have a bad experience, but it's weird to just say "Stay the fuck away from them" with no details on why you think so.

Anyhow, here's my smokin gun as it currently stands. Almost done.

this bike makes me happy in my pants!!!! or maybe thats a flare up of the clap...either way...very nice

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thank ya. Granted the thing is pretty damn low, I really love the frame. I haven't gotten it to a ride-worthy state yet, so I can't comment on whether or not it's TOO low. I guess I'll find out soon enough!

I will say that pictures generally look a lot lower than it actually is, not that it isn't a low frame, but most pictures I take make it look like it's an inch off the ground.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bobscogin View Post
    I'd go Paughco based on the photos I've seen in this thread. Flyrite looks too low. What's the point in having a bike that you can only ride vertically?? If that's cool, maybe it's time to redefine the term.

Bob
    +1 the paughco is low enough any lower and you can't ride ! members admit they drag all over the place on the flyrite. Don't get me wrong the flyrite looks sweet and the quality is top but you better run a tall wheels and tires if you want to go on real rides. If I was not afraid to spend the money and wanted to run a 18" & 23" wheel combo then I would lean toward the flyrite. However if budget is in the picture a really nice bike on easy to get wheels would be built on a paughco or kraft tech frame. In my opinion. Another frame not being considered here besides kraft tech is spartan frame works.

Get Adobe Flash player

I am going with a 16" rear with shinko e240, front will be a 21". I want the frame rails to be level so the front end will be at least 2 under. I don't mind sitting a little low, but don't want to be hanging up on turns and putting my nuts into my stomach on every bump.

The paughco looks like it could work, but the look of the frame where it drops right by the seat is kinda cheap and looks out of place (to me). The flyrite smoking gun by far has the best dimensions (imo), but I want it sitting level and not chucking sparks on every dip. I considered the kraft tech but the bottom rails go out way too wide on the frames I have seen and it is not a very traditional looking frame. Very difficult decision, I am not trying to dump a grand and immediately regret it. Does anybody have some more pics or opinions on these frames?

Get Adobe Flash player

I might suggest you have a frame made to your specs.. I was in the same boat you were in lookin at sporty frames for a while and I found something I didnt like about most of the "predetermined" offerings I found..
    If you like the smokin gun for example.. you can have a frame built with 33 degree rake, 2" stretch in the back, but with a little more ground clearance (4"?).. call the flyrite guys and maybe they can do one for ya...if not, youve got a lot of other options..

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's a few better angles on how much clearance is on the smokin gun, in case it helps ya. I'm running the same 16 rear, 21 front. Top image is before narrowing the front end, which dropped my clearance by about 1/2". It would clear a 4x4 which is 3.5" high, with a stock length V-Twin repop springer. The bottom image is the current with about 3" of clearance. Again, it's low... but it doesn't drag on the ground while standing up straight, like most pictures tend to look like.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Lockett View Post
    I had a run in on a forum with one of the owners. I will not bash another mans work but after 15 years of building they are not for me.
    To the OP, I would entertain opinions from people who have actually built using the Flyrite or Paughco frames and can have valid points on both. Not some guy who had a squabble in internet land with one of the owners.

I went with the Flyrite. I've looked at both. Just like the lines of the Flyrite better, especially in the tail section. I finished mine 2 years ago and have run a few different tire/rim and fork length configurations.

16 rear / 19 front and 2 under tubes set the bottom rails level with the ground and looked good, but I couldn't take rights without scraping the frame.

Put a 21 up front and it helped alot. Currently, I've got the 16 rear, 21 front and 4 over tubes and it sits perfect, IMO. Granted it will not sit as high as hardtailing a stock frame or the Paughco, but with the right set up it's not ridiculously low.

First configuration:

Second:

Current:

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by dethtrap View Post
    I beginning to think the smoking gun is the way to go. The paughco looks solid, but just sits up way too high or at least it appears that way. Does anybody actually know how much lower the sg sits in comparison to the paughco? The paughco looks so much higher.

Also these are these smoking gun frames posted above at 30 (stock) or 35 degree rake. I can't seem to find the dimensions on this frame.
    The Smokin' Gun has 33 deg rake.

The new Chopper Frame they make has like 40 deg rake.

33 is just enough.

livingdeadmc

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
    To the OP, I would entertain opinions from people who have actually built using the Flyrite or Paughco frames and can have valid points on both. Not some guy who had a squabble in internet land with one of the owners.

I went with the Flyrite. I've looked at both. Just like the lines of the Flyrite better, especially in the tail section. I finished mine 2 years ago and have run a few different tire/rim and fork length configurations.

16 rear / 19 front and 2 under tubes set the bottom rails level with the ground and looked good, but I couldn't take rights without scraping the frame.

Put a 21 up front and it helped alot. Currently, I've got the 16 rear, 21 front and 4 over tubes and it sits perfect, IMO. Granted it will not sit as high as hardtailing a stock frame or the Paughco, but with the right set up it's not ridiculously low.

First configuration:

Second:

Current:
    Your shit is bad ass!

Shinysideup57

Quote Originally Posted by dethtrap View Post
    "The Whip" (Flyrite Smoking Gun)

Nice bike! This is the exact look I'm going for. Can you tell me the neck rake and fork length you went with?

Shinysideup57

Hello. I'm starting a rigid sporty project and wondered how yourd ended up. I'm torn between using the Paughco or the Flyrite..... any pics of yours?

Shinysideup57

I'm starting a sporty project and like you would like more ground clearance. Do you like the Flyrite frame? Any pics?

Shinysideup57

Nice bike!👍 what forks are you using?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Shinysideup57 View Post
    Nice bike! This is the exact look I'm going for. Can you tell me the neck rake and fork length you went with?
    This thread is 8 years old, You need to start a new thread and ask a question there...... Welcome.....

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd contact Flyrite, Paughco etc direct and pick brains along with getting dimensions.

They want to sell frames after all. Too few bikers contact fabricators despite it being so easy.

For example if you know the distance between rear axle center and the bottom or center axis of the bottom frame tubes you then know which frame offers more ground clearance.

[QUOTE=Incrediblah;207660]Dare I ask what exactly happened that made you dislike Flyrite so much? I have the smokin gun frame on my current sporty build, and it's a great frame. The guys at Flyrite have been nothing but cool every time I've talked to them so far. Not saying you didn't have a bad experience, but it's weird to just say "Stay the fuck away from them" with no details on why you think so.

Anyhow, here's my smokin gun as it currently stands. Almost done.

[/QUOT
    I like the pipes. Did you make them?

Share This