Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hotroute
    • Jun 2011

Will it over heat??

I have built many aluminum headed roundy round track engines, and have always been told buy old timers, to never never paint aluminum heads or intakes. Reason being is that the paint will hold in the heat and over heat the fuel air mixture.

So my question is, if you paint an air cooled engine will it not cause the engine to over heat more quickly?
  • perezmaximus
    • Feb 2011

I don't think so since mostly all jap bikes come with the engine and heads painted from factory.

Comment

• Poop32hut
      • Apr 2011

some paints can trap heat, some can help dissipate it. depends on the paint. i've heard many say that blacks tend to dissipate better, but even that is not a constant. black ceramic coating on exhaust, obviously, serves as a barrier.

so i guess the crux of my answer is, it depends.

Comment

• turtlem1969
        • Sep 2010

I've got my 750 painted with high temp rattle can and run it in 90-100 degree high humidity environment both in town cruising and highway cruising and haven't had a problem with it running hot.

Comment

• dcil
          • Mar 2011

I've used black and silver both on engines, never had an issue

Comment

• dirtbag
            • Aug 2010

I have read that with polished engines overheating could be a possible problem ,and to paint is a better option for dissapating heat..I think its all theory talk and any difference is very little

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;