CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
    seventhirteen

Default Triumph engine stand, what say you?

So I'm starting wife build 2.0, had a pile of junk sitting around, wife ordered a david bird bolt on hardtail and away we go, thanks tyler at lowbrow

Now this will be my second unit rebuild and I wanted to build a stand this go around so i started looking around at them, thing is i wanted one that would also be usable with the case split so i plasma cut a couple holes in a piece of angle iron and bolted it to an engine stand that wasn't in use.

Any reason this simple bracket won't work? assuming I'm not trying to beat the motor together seems this should work but it's so simple I wondered if I was missing something. seems sturdy and allows me to spin the motor around with half or both sides of motor on it.

here's the start on the wife's pile of parts

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

The only thing I would worry about is putting the entire weight of the engine and and vibrations or pressure from work you are doing to the engine on those two mounting points. Most engine stands I've seen support front and rear

Get Adobe Flash player

If you keep the motor vertical, you should be fine. As soon as you tilt it on it's side, that thing is gonna fold up like a noodle (With any more weight that the cases that is). I have stands I've built for hinckley tiumph motors at my shop, and they are all made from the same type of engine stands. They all have two mounting points, and can hold the motors and me sitting on it no problem...

So worst case, you'll need to fab up a bracket to hold the right side as well.

seventhirteen

think i'll spend another 5 minutes on this time intensive project and run a mount to the front of the motor, better safe than sorry

Get Adobe Flash player

Mine has three points of contact the back engine mount holes on both sides then a bar that runs under to the front engine mount hole ....

But if you watch ol' hughie hancox in his videos he simply sticks the front lug in a bench vise and has a little plate that flips up off the edge of his work bench and supports the bottom ......

Personally I would think he knows pretty good what you can do and what you cant do after being at meriden for 20+ years...so mine is overkill for a stand i am sure

seventhirteen

played around with this a bit this morning and here's my current result, same rear mount with a brace hitting the lower middle motor mount also

here's a shot showing bottom mount, by changing bolt size i can mount the primary side split also

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks like it will work great to me! Will it hold up to some smacks with a rubber mallet??

seventhirteen

i'm sure it will handle some smacks with no problem, i'll be breaking the motor down this week so we'll see if any modifications are needed

Share This