CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default XJ vs XS front end

My '81 XS650 came to me with a XJ750 front end.

The XJ front end has the obvious advantage of dual disk brakes, which was the reason that the PO swapped it on. The problem is, the front wheel is ugly. I like the alloy look that the rear has. I have the stock matching front alloy. I think that I also have the stock front triples and legs.

I have a few options here, but I'd like your input.

1.) I can switch back to single disk (which, with the stock master cylinder should have better response anyway) and stock front alloy. I think the axle and wheel bearings should be a straight swap, and thus keep the XJ air shocks and forks

2.) I can swap back the entire stock unit, with single disk, stock alloy front, stock XS forks

3.) I can see about having the other side of the stock alloy wheel machined for the second disk, then find a larger bore master cylinder to give me nice firm brakes.

4.) I can leave it as is, and add a larger bore master cylinder.

My last XS had a front drum triumph brake. It was completely useless. I have never been on a stock front brake XS. Is a single good enough? I like the cleaner lines, and less clutter that I would gain with a single, but I don't want to sacrifice stopping ability if it is a large difference.

Thoughts?

Get Adobe Flash player

Both of mine are single caliper front disc and they stop great. Im running a aftermarket banshee/raptor master cylinder as well. If u don't want all the clutter up front like u said the single is plenty and u will be happy with it.

Get Adobe Flash player

That's what I needed to hear, buddy. Thanks! Alternate opinions are still welcome.

blackchop

this is what i have learned first hand through the years- dual disc or single - it doesnt really make a huge difference.
    alot of times im running a drum front brake - which by the way if set up right will stop you just fine .

that frontend should be air adjust helps a little.

ok here is what i know as fact because i have done it- the xs650 yam wheel will fit on that frontend just fine- you will have to have one end of the axle turned down just a bit. and the disc off that front wheel mate right up to a stock non swirly mag xs650 wheel. now some xs650 wheel hubs are made to run dual disc although often youll find them single disced.

Default xs sprinter on an xj650

I know this is an old thread but it relates to my question. I have an 81 XJ650 that I'm bobbing and customizing. I really want to put a springer front end on it. The one that seems like it might work is the TC Brothers springer for the XS650. I don't know the differences between these necks, so I don't know if it's a direct fit or requires modification.

Here's the front end from TC Bros http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/black-...aha-xs650.html

Any info from people who might know would certainly help.

Thanks,
    Tony

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	108092
    Last edited by tonybluegoat; 01-11-2021 at 7:10 PM. Reason: added picture

Get Adobe Flash player

both XJ650 and XS650 have the same neck bearings:

Upper: 25 x 48 x 15.2
    Lower: 30 x 48 x 15

https://www.dotheton.com/index.php?t...es-list.20951/

Share This