Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • specialseventynine
    • Aug 2009

Biltwell riser extension tech

I contacted Billdozer about a bike build I'm about to begin. This was the conversation.

"Bill, I was wondering if Biltwell would like to be involved in supplying some parts for a bike build?"

" Sure Jay, as long as you're not a dickhead and you share some of the tech involved in the build."

The conversation didn't really go like that, but I wouldn't have been offended if it did. Bill and Chris @ Biltwell have been great supporters of my small fabrication/bike part/bike building business, and in turn I'll support anything they have their hands in.

First things first. I start with a set of Biltwell's cast stainless risers, some thick walled 1 1/4" 304 stainless tubing, and a little South Bend 9" workshop lathe.

Turn down some of the stainless tubing to the length and profile you like.

Next, turn down the profile of the lower section of the Biltwell risers if you need to.

This is where my camera died, so there isn't a photo of the 1/2" 13 tpi bung I welded in the top of the riser. Thread a section of 1/2" 13 tpi rod into the riser extension. Thread on your Biltwell riser and check to see how it looks.
  • specialseventynine
    • Aug 2009

Now go make the other one.

Comment

• Markee
      • Sep 2009

Nice work man. The the defference in material tint is interesting. Are the biltwell risers 316?

Comment

• BigOscar
        • Jul 2009

Ext

Very nice I wouldnt mind a set of those, maybe a lil longer

Comment

• ditto
          • Aug 2009

yea dig em a bunch they gonna be available for sale er did I miss that somehwere in my illiteracy?

Comment

• Flatironmike
            • Jul 2009

mmmm, freebies

good stuff, Jay. thanks for sharing
            Last edited by Flatironmike; 10-28-2009, 2:25 PM.

Comment

• Toecutterp
              • Sep 2009

Stoked to help on this build. Ready for the parts if you want to send them you got my address.

Comment

• Isgro
                • Aug 2009

Nice work Jay. Looks great.

Comment

• Halwade
                  • Apr 2024

This is awesome. Thanks for the love, Jay. I'm following up where Billdozer left off. He's in Mexico testing a 2010 H-D Spring-a-Mabob chopper with some skaters. ..

Comment

• redsox716
                    • Aug 2009

looks great man! you fabricate some awesome stuff.

Comment

• specialseventynine
                      • Aug 2009

I'm just throwing this out there, but extensions seem like an easy piece to have produced by the good peeps @ Biltwell. Man would it open up the options in using the risers.

Comment

• Boylecomm
                        • Jun 2009

Those are real nice Jay, As usual.
                        I need to come sweep your floors and lean over your shoulder for a couple of weeks.

Oscar will need a pair of 18"ers.
                        Last edited by Boylecomm; 10-29-2009, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• Halwade
                          • Apr 2024

Originally posted by specialseventynine
                          I'm just throwing this out there, but extensions seem like an easy piece to have produced by the good peeps @ Biltwell. Man would it open up the options in using the risers.

Re: risers as line extension for Biltwell product range; an excellent idea, but unit volumes for this kind of esoteric, personalized stuff are always a consideration for us.

To keep our MSRP's reasonable, we need to design high-volume stuff.

In other words, we have to sell hundreds of them in the first year, and thousands of them over time.

For instance: we thought 7/8" OD handlebars for the chopper scene were a no-brainer when we started, but we sold 78 bars in 8 different SKU's in 12 months in our first year of operation. That's fewer than 10 pair per style/color, which isn't a pinch of gorilla shit in the world of mass production.

Moral of story: pick stuff that the majority of the chopper universe can use.

That's why we now make 1" OD bars with dimples for stock controls. We thought EVERYONE knew how to install non-dimpled bars on stock H-Ds... turns out they didn't.

Kim brings up another good point about risers that we learned the hard way:

If we made them available in three lengths, somebody would want them in a fourth.

And that, dear friends, is the nature of custom motorcycles.

Given this fact, we make our risers in one (short) length to fit "most" stock and custom bikes, and we count on badasses like you guys to customize them to your liking.

I hope this explanation helps. Thanks again for the great how-to.

McGoo
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-29-2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• gigastatt
                            • Aug 2009

Nice job Jay!!!!! You've got all the fresh Ideas!!!!

Comment

• specialseventynine
                              • Aug 2009

[QUOTE=Halwade;19311

Kim brings up another good point about risers that we learned the hard way:

If we made them available in three lengths, somebody would want them in a fourth.

And that, dear friends, is the nature of custom motorcycles. [/QUOTE]

Isn't that the truth. You would think a couple choices in length would work, but that's never the case. Something I'll look into with my production machinist for costs.

Speaking of my machinist friend, Tim, any luck with that new bung design?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;