• billdozer
    • Apr 2024

Comment

• billdozer
      • Apr 2024

Comment

• billdozer
        • Apr 2024

Sorry for the lack of updates, we haven't had wi-fi since crossing the border. My quick posts here and there were just from my phone. We spent the first two days in Quatro Casa's about 160 miles south of the border. There is a small surf hostel there, complete with a tight but very skateable pool. It's a little under ten miles of dirt road to get into the camp, not too bad, but a definite challenge in a couple spots. Only a couple little spills, nothing major. We shot some fireworks off, had a bonfire, complete with a few memorable antics. We stayed an extra day and waited for Keegan to show up. He had a video premier Thursday night and rode down solo to meet us for the rest of the trip.

The central part of baja is very desolate, not a shred of skateable terrain and we mostly just hauled ass trying to carve out some miles. We stopped at Mama Espinosa's for the famous (if over-priced) Langosta burritos. From there we made it to Catavina where we stayed at a roadside hotel. In the morning we filled up from a make shift gas station and hit the road. San Ignacio is where many consider the "real" baja to start. The recent damage from hurricane Jimena was very evident, our original camp site was basically washed away. The road was clear though and the ancient town square was live with pre-Dias de Muerte celebration. Some kids were having an impromptu boxing match and Heath couldn't help but get in the mix. He held his own and made us proud. How outlaw would we be if we rolled into town and got asses kicked by a lanky 13 year old? Thanks, Heath.

We came back in the morning, had some desayunos and the guys had what might be the earliest recorded skate session ever. We slept outside the night before and body clocks running on nature's schedule, we don't have much choice but to get up early and go to bed not too long after dark. These guys were just "warming up" and "pushing around" not going for banger footage, but I was still impressed. Heath nailed a big kick-flip off a shady curb cut and over a trash can, Arto pulled a wallie off one of the old planters and a couple geriatric locals started getting a little salty, so we loaded up and rode out of there.

Quick stops in Santa Rosalia and Mulege, both of which showed substantial hurricane damage, but the road was fine other than the typical potholes and occasional wash out over a vado. We took a good break a few miles south of Mulege at a beach called Santispac. The view of turquoise waters and white sands when dropping down out of the hills and into the valley where the cove called Santispac is located was sweet enough to get even jaded skaters stoked. These are dudes who have been all over the world and done a ton of fun stuff, so they are not easily impressed. We unloaded a cooler full of beer, stripped down to skivvies or trunks and jumped in the warm, shallow waters of the Sea of Cortez. After a night in the shady campground of San Ignacio, it was refreshing to get a long swim.

Two great Canadian kids, Ky and Harvey rode their sporties down from Victoria. These dudes ride hard whether it's skateboards or motorcycles and have been a blast to hang with. Harvey's XL had been leaking oil and making some noises and it finally gave up the ghost. Luckily the film crew wasn't far behind with the tailer. As luck has it, Ky's folks have a place in Loreto, and he got us in. Great place, right downtown but back far enough from the Malecon to be pin-drop quiet. I slept on the porch with Matt, Arto and the cool house dog Scooby. Thanks for the hospitality, Ky and Familia!

Tonight we made it from Loreto to La Paz. Only about 230 miles, but Baja miles are different. The terrain is amazing right now. The positive result of the hurricane is that the landscape is bursting with growth, everything is green. Even the cows and horses are fat, though I wish some of them would graze a little further from the roadside.

Tomorrow is going to be some more morning skating here on the Malecon in La Paz and then onto El Pescador. Once we set up there I think some of us are going to head to Cabo, just to splash in the water at the absolute bottom of the peninsula. Another full day of skating the El Pescador park and then it's the long trek north.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-11-2009, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• RockinRyan
          • Aug 2009

That looks like one hell of a good time!

(crosses fingers for return of EDR...)

Comment

• FlyingEyeBall
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by BFJosh
            because harley GAVE him a brand new street bob to use the FXR needed a rest anyway

Did Willie G throw in a beret and some rhinestone chaps?

Comment

• billdozer
              • Apr 2024

Yeah, I've been running "Wild-Rose" embroidered chaps the whole time, how'd you know? My FXR is stoked, it did not want the flogging that Bob has been getting on a daily. I've bottomed this thing out so many times I think it's shiny underneath. Other than a disintegrating foot peg on the right (the other Bob on the trip did the same thing) it's been rock solid. There are some things I like about it and some things that drive me nuts. I'm going to do a full-on feature here after the 2,000 mile shakedown to share what I've learned.

Yesterday we had an easy ride to El Pescadero just south of Todos Santos, about a half hour north of Cabo. There is a great little surf camp here, just about two miles from a nice little break. Half of us hung out and surfed today and the other half went to Cabo just to say they made it all the way to the tip. They went as far as to take a glass bottom boat out to the arches and do some snorkeling, so they've made it officially all the way to the bottom.

I don't care for Cabo so I just hung out on the beach, had three surf sessions on a loaner long board in great head-high surf, crystal-clear warm water. Oh yeah, there is supposed to be some skateboarding going on but the park's two bowls are full of fetid water. We don't have enough time to bucket it out and get it clean enough to skate but Arto and a couple of the guys sessioned the dry parts yesterday. Arto can skate in big old clunky motorcycle boots like it's nothing. Keegan can't get enough of the water and has been out surfing all damn day. He's catching waves and actually standing up and making it look easy. Most funny is watching Heath flap around wearing the same black jeans he started the trip with. Yep, jean-surfing, next year everyone will be doing it.

I think everyone had plenty of fun and sun and tomorrow we head north, so as much as everyone wants to get home, no one really wants to admit that the apex of the trip has been reached. For me, I was glad to have a day where the only thing strapped to my bike was a towel and some sunscreen. I haven't been surfing much at all over the past five or so years, but caught several long lefts and rights today and had an epic day getting to know the ocean again. Jiggling shakas all around, the Braha 2000 is more than half over. Tonight, all you can eat Pizza and World Series at the Sandbar. Tomorrow, Loreto. More pics in a little bit, once they've uploaded.

Comment

• billdozer
                • Apr 2024

The Beach

Jarhead Coffee Pot

The Hut.

Charlie likes it here.

Comment

• Halwade
                  • Apr 2024

Fuck I wish I was there.

Anywhere but here. Front end on SpartanKiller is whipping my ass.

Thanks for the update, Triple B.

See you next week.

Comment

• beernbikes
                    • Nov 2009

Hi guys what a great ride. When you head back through San Diego, if you stop and need a beer hit me up and i will shout you one at my pub Bondi on 5th Ave, i know you will need on. Have a blast.

Comment

• ChoppyGee
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Halwade
                      Fuck I wish I was there.

Anywhere but here. Front end on SpartanKiller is whipping my ass.

Thanks for the update, Triple B.

See you next week.
                      aww cheer up McGoo, that sickle was sliding together too easily anyhow .

Looks like fun Bill, Arto is one of my favorite skaters i'm pretty jealous.

Comment

• EnglandStGarage
                        • Aug 2009

ahhhhh i want to be there. i just got back from surfing k58 in baja last weekend. we were talking about taking a trip down there on the bikes. so jealous right now.

Comment

• bangkokchopper
                          • Aug 2009

Hey bro...great write up..must admit makes me jealous of the scene you guys have over in the states... cool pics too bro....

Comment

• 01custom
                            • Apr 2024

so can anyone give me the heads up on where to score one of those wild sissybar/skateboard rack/luggage racks that all those dudes are sporting?

and if anyone has one, if you strap a bag to that thing, how does it fair in a high wind?

Thanks guys!

Comment

• MikeD
                              • Jul 2009

The surf session sounded awesome. Glad you got to get out and splash around.

Comment

• billdozer
                                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by 01custom
                                so can anyone give me the heads up on where to score one of those wild sissybar/skateboard rack/luggage racks that all those dudes are sporting?

and if anyone has one, if you strap a bag to that thing, how does it fair in a high wind?

Thanks guys!
                                They are cheap aftermarket units with shady little 1/4x20 bolts, but these dudes all run them and a board locks in perfectly. Dents the fender after a while, but these aren't show bikes. The HD ones are much more robust, but obviously shorter and aren't automatic board-holders.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;