Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NDT
    • Sep 2009

78 Bonneville 750 Rebuild

Just bought a hard tailed 1978 T140V and I'm looking to have the engine gone thru. I live in central NY and I'm not having any luck finding someone local. If you know someone I'd appreciate the info.

Otherwise I'll take advice on who to send it to.
  • redasphalt3
    • Sep 2009

do it yourself

Comment

• NDT
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by redasphalt3
      do it yourself
      Or...I'll take advise relevant to my original question.

Comment

• signal9
        • Apr 2024

I'll have to back up the DIY suggestion. Your service manual may have an inspection checklist that would help you to go through the engine yourself, and you'd learn a ton about your bike in the process. Since you've already bought the bike, it sounds like you're committed anyway.

Comment

• image1
          • Aug 2009

who to send it to.
          wes @ 4 aces
          or
          Torch

Comment

• Howitzer
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by NDT
            Just bought a hard tailed 1978 T140V and I'm looking to have the engine gone thru. I live in central NY and I'm not having any luck finding someone local. If you know someone I'd appreciate the info.

Otherwise I'll take advice on who to send it to.
            There's a guy in Watertown, NY that owns Hartz Bros Custom Cycle and he works on Triumphs. I'm not sure how close you are to Watertown, but you want to look into it. I hope that helps.

Comment

• NDT
              • Sep 2009

Thanks guys I'll be making some calls this week.

Comment

• Speedfiend
                • Dec 2009

Don't hate on this guy cause he wants to have someone that knows what they're doing build his bike. Some guys build bikes. Some guys play guitar, or paint or build web sites. Me, I'm pretty handy with a wrench, not so good at much else. Like Dirty Harry said, " A man has got to know his limitations" I don't fault NDT for wanting to have a pro build him a solid bike. Besides, its guys like him that allow those fortunate few to live the dream of building bikes for a living.

If you can't find someone closer, my old man runs a Brit shop in NC.

Comment

• GreaserMike
                  • Aug 2009

I can not say enough about Hugh at Sixth Street Specials in NYC. He's been keeping Triumphs on the road for the past 25 years. 917-653-7748

I race flat track with Hugh and we hit a lot of the tracks upstate NY. Maybe you can arrange a meet up, watch some dirt track races and have him bring your bike back to the city for service.

Comment

• redasphalt3
                    • Sep 2009

It was not a negative statement, rather a little push in another direction. I have the 78 part manual, if you want it, pm me you email.
                    I would like to note that I work in an office, and didnt know shit about engines or bikes for that matter before I started building my triumph. All information needed is on this site or the JJ, Britbike. If it is a time issue then by all means have it done, but at the end of the day its a british bike and one way or another you are going to become very familiar with the inner working of your engine.

Comment

• NDT
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by redasphalt3
                      It was not a negative statement, rather a little push in another direction. I have the 78 part manual, if you want it, pm me you email.
                      I would like to note that I work in an office, and didnt know shit about engines or bikes for that matter before I started building my triumph. All information needed is on this site or the JJ, Britbike. If it is a time issue then by all means have it done, but at the end of the day its a british bike and one way or another you are going to become very familiar with the inner working of your engine.
                      The problem is, I don't know what I don't know. I did download the workshop manual and have a few skilled mechanics willing to guide me. However, between us there is no real Triumph experience, and I personally have limited experience regarding engines. I'd love to do it myself but I’m concerned that I'll miss something due to lack of familiarity or knowledge.

By the way here's what I'm starting with. Ya can't tell from the pictures but she's pretty rough and could use some love all the way around.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• dazegoneby
                        • Apr 2024

racers in 60s and 70s had to do, ride the piss out of them, fix emand go to next race, and do it again,,, example "any sunday" the old flick, shows the routine ,though it dosen,t show McQueen wrenching ,,just riden,,,and nice to see another wrong sided trump in the forum,,,,,,,best advice is read manual thouroly then decide if your skills can do it ,,,"quote,,,by torch" a triumph will run no matter the ham fisted monkey ,that has fucked with it"
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2011, 6:08 AM.

Comment

• dazegoneby
                          • Apr 2024

all triumphs need love,,,,,bike looks good ,,,good start on YOUR bike,,,,

Comment

• gofastcrazy
                            • Mar 2011

don't fix it, sell it to me...... i would ride it like that lol na man good luck with the build.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;