CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default XS650's are great cheap bikes....

....and they're best when they stay that way. All these $3k bikes that started life as a $400 bike drive me crazy. Here's mine - $300 finished. I used a hacksaw,file,some scrap steel & fender and a $400 flux core welder. There wasn't power in the barn so I used a drop cord & a flashlight to work. The bike wasn't great but this was way before chops were cool. It was built for myself without giving a fuck what anybody else thought - just like you should be doing.

It was all pretty half assed. The forward controls were just pieces of whatever steel I could find with holes drilled,bolts & more scrap for linkage. When I rode this thing I was the king of the motherfucking world, like the first pussy I got - I was now a man.

Last edited by AfterHours; 10-23-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

pretty rad! I want to build an XS sometime. Is that a trail fender?

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice man I like it. Got any more pics?

Get Adobe Flash player

nice, more pics pls.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've got no more pics. These were the days that bikes were for riding,it never occured to me to take pics,nor did I own a camera back then. This was before the internet,when the whole world was black & white. I think I bummed the fender & seat from some bike dudes pile of parts for $25 and the only thing I just had to have was the shiny blue-dot repro taillight. I just had to have it...like a gold tooth.

My mother took this pic. She always hated that I tore everything apart and when I actually had a running project - I guess she figured she should document the event. I'm just as bad now.

Get Adobe Flash player

um. is there a time chops weren't cool?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by deathtrap View Post
    um. is there a time chops weren't cool?
    Yes. There was a time when they were hated, that's when I fell in love with them.

When I say cool I mean generally speaking of course. When they became accepted and diluted they really lost all meaning,now they're just bikes.

Get Adobe Flash player

I agree...
    mainstream, much like Punk Rock, Hot Rods, Skateboards, BMX, Lowriders etc....

At one time all of these sports, Hobbies / Lifestyles were looked down upon, and now they are absolute mainstream and accepted by all. FTW means "For the World"

Get Adobe Flash player

Punk rock is gay, skateboards are gay and XS650 choppers are gay,

I hope to have my XS done next month. That means alot of time in the shed listening to punk rock and taking time out for the occasional session...

Yep it's all pretty gay...

Get Adobe Flash player

Im glad this shit got popular. Look at all the talent on CHOPCULT if this shit never got so big there would be a CC and some dick like me from Detroit (Flatrock) wouldn't get to see all the Killer XS's that are out there. Sorry to ruin cool or uncool or what ever.

Get Adobe Flash player

my $500 bike is only +$200 so far, and it gets cheaper as i keep sellin stock parts. cheap if you ask me, parts are either found used or made from crap in the garage.

Get Adobe Flash player

That's a cool looking bike. For $700 it's damn cool,and inexpensive - perfect.

Get Adobe Flash player

Cheap is great, yeah. I love not spending money, and most people I know also like to not spend money. I'm on the same page as you with the fact they are cheap donor bikes but like always, personal preference, blah blah, blah & blah...

I picked up an xs w/papers + spare engine + extra tank for 400$. Ive been keeping a detailed list of everything I spend on the bike (minus tools) and I can see how the $$$ can rack up quickly. Id love to build a finished bike for 500$ , but keeping something relatively inexpensive compared to building something in a 'half assed' way (your words) is completely different.

But my question is, what does it matter if it is a Jap bike, Brit bike or an American? If you're upset that people are buying a 300$ bike and building a 3000$ bike out of it, are you upset with people who buy ironheads for 1500$ and build them into an expensive machine? Should they stay 'cheap chops' too?

I think it is perfectly fine for people to use this platform and build anything with it, to any extent the way they want. You wouldn't tell someone building a shovel that they are spending too much money on it, so why does it matter that they are doing it with a different engine?

But it were talking cheap, I got all my framework done for a few bottles of homebrew wine. worked out to cost me 4.00$ or so in labour.

Get Adobe Flash player

im a cheap-ass myself, but i think its great that some guys are investing money and time into these old bikes. they were popular when new and its cool that they have been making a comeback. yeah, its making it harder to find runners for a hundred bucks anymore, but the aftermarket support makes up for that. 3k isnt bad for a custom built and finished chop, it is still very inexpensive compared to other brands.

Get Adobe Flash player

...wow....did I say I was upset?

Nope - doesn't matter - Jap or American. Ironhead builds should be inexpensive as well,or why use them? I've seen $8-10k ironheads and they were retarded for the money. There are exceptions of course,but very few.

I dig xs650's....pull your panties out of your cracks....it's just my opinion.
    Last edited by AfterHours; 10-25-2009 at 12:54 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

But it were talking cheap, I got all my framework done for a few bottles of homebrew wine. worked out to cost me 4.00$ or so in labour.[/QUOTE]

Preach on brotha! I bet that was some good homebrew though!

Get Adobe Flash player

as was stated before, not everyone wants to build a cheap ratty bike. I did all the work on mine including the tail, paint, wiring, fabrication, etc. EVERYTHING and it cost me $3500 in the end. I kept a detailed list of what I bought. Sure, I could have used stock parts but I would not get the look I wanted. Here is my finished bike.

josh

Get Adobe Flash player

Thats a badass bike. I saw it in the horse and drooled over it then to. I think you still built a bike for a decent price. It's a clean look for the price I paid for my stock bike. It's different then buying a cheap bike and making it a 10,000 dollar custom.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgs4 View Post
    Got more pics of this bike? I'd love to see 'em.

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks!heres a few more. it started out as a rat bike, but it gets shinier little by little

[IMG]//http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv227/jamesgs4/1254445542.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by jamesgs4; 10-27-2009 at 7:26 PM.

Share This