Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wacko1
    • Jul 2011

xs battery

Ok, I need to purchase a new battery and know nothing about them. I am just looking for the cheapest replacement for the stock battery. It will be on my xs650 bobber which is pretty stripped down but at this point I still want to be able to use the starter. Other than the started I simply have the headlight and tail light. I was thinking of purchasing one from wal-mart or somewhere. What numbers do I need to know cca (cold cranking amps??) How many ah? (not sure what ah stands for) What about maintenance free??

Thanks in advance. Any info appreciated
  • cros36
    • Dec 2010

xs performance AGM battery from mikesxs. 65 bucks. i bought it and it sat for a year and a half, still good to go.

i would for sure go with a AGM battery. you get it, put it in, and fucking forget about it. no distilled water, no charging, no bs.

Comment

• Billyboy13
      • May 2011

I agree with cros36, I did the same thing and the AGM battery is the way go. Holds a charge and the vibes of the XS has no effect.

Comment

• CoyoteUSP
        • Mar 2011

Apologies in advance for the threadjack, but since I don't know dick about batteries/electical either maybe you guys know better than I. Will Mike's AGM work for a CB750? I'm also only using headlight/taillight/starter if that makes a difference

Comment

• cros36
          • Dec 2010

im going to go with yes. from what i know (not as much as i wish) most people put too much thought into what came on their stock bike and what they want to replace it with. whats your AH rating? thats all you need.

Comment

• jamesgs4
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by CoyoteUSP
            Apologies in advance for the threadjack, but since I don't know dick about batteries/electical either maybe you guys know better than I. Will Mike's AGM work for a CB750? I'm also only using headlight/taillight/starter if that makes a difference
            Mikes isnt the only place to buy AGM batteries. google around for the best deal.

Comment

• wacko1
              • Jul 2011

Is AGM a brand or type of battery?

Comment

• cros36
                • Dec 2010

absorbed glass mat.

AGM batteries are just like flooded lead acid batteries, except the electrolyte is being held in the glass mats, as opposed to freely flooding the plates. Very thin glass fibers are woven into a mat to increase surface area enough to hold sufficient electrolyte on the cells for their lifetime. The fibers that compose the fine glass mat do not absorb nor are affected by the acidic electrolyte they reside in. These mats are wrung out 2-5% after being soaked in acids, prior to manufacture completion and sealing. The AGM battery can now accumulate more acid than is available, and never spill a drop.

The plates in an AGM battery may be any shape. Some are flat, others are bent or wound. AGM batteries, both deep cycle and starting, are built in a rectangular case to BCI battery code specifications. Optima Battery builds a patented cylindrical AGM series of batteries that are fashioned to fit the same BCI battery size specifications as any other battery.

All AGM batteries have enhancements over flooded lead acid batteries:

ADVANTAGES
                * Purer lead in the plates, as each plate no longer needs to support its own weight, due to the sandwich construction with AGM matting. Traditional cells must support their own weight in the bath of acid.
                * Fluid retention - un-spillable
                * High specific power or power density, holding roughly 1.5x the AH capacity of flooded batteries due to purer lead[citation needed]
                * Low internal resistance allowing them to be charged and discharged quite rapidly
                * Depth of discharge for optimal performance is up to 80% while flooded batteries can only be rated up to 50% depth of discharge
                * Water conservation - never requires addition of water
                * Acid encapsulation in the matting
                * Operation well below 0°F or -18 °C.
                * Availability of UL, DOT, CE, Coast Guard, and Mil-Spec approved types
                * Vibration resistance due to the sandwich construction

DISADVANTAGES

* Cost. AGM automobile batteries for example, are typically about twice the price of flooded-cell batteries in a given BCI size group.
                * AGM batteries have up to a 10 year lifespan.
                * AGM batteries do not tolerate overcharging. Overcharging dissociates the water in the electrolyte, which is unable to be replaced, leading to premature failure.

THANKS WIKI!!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;