Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Missile150
    • Jul 2011

1980 XS650 Front Forks

So I am beginning a build and was just going to clean up the upper front forks and powder coat the bottom part. The problem is the fake chrome is pitted and chipped. So I decided to powder coat the uppers as well, however I am going to leave the bottom part alone so it passes through the new seals without a problem and install some gators to cover where it will not be coated on the bottom of he uppers.

However, after disassembly, I noticed a washer of some sort inside the upper fork tube where the damper rod goes through. I can not get it out and am uncertain as to whether or not it will take the heat of the oven in order to powder coat the top half of the upper fork. Will I be OK, or will I mess up this washer? I am not really sure what it is made of, although it feels like a metal spacer.

Thanks for any help with this. I have been lurking for a while, but plan on starting a build thread very soon.
  • Blackbetty
    • Apr 2011

Check out Hugh's xs fork rebuild thread:

Alright gang, I've been working on these for a while, and after all the requests and emails, I'm finally getting time to get this How - To up for us :cool: Lower those XS650 Forks! You'll need the following tools: 8MM Deep Reach Allen Socket (Make one yourself on the cheap, just cut an old allen wrench) 17MM Fork Cap Tool

Comment

• jamesgs4
      • Oct 2009

That chrome on the tubes is not for show, it is for a good seal. If you powdercoat the tubes, it might end up too thick to fit into the seals.

Comment

• Missile150
        • Jul 2011

Blackberry, I have been through that thread several times before, and it doesn't address the spacer/washer I am talking about.

James, I am not coating where it goes through the seal, but only above it and will hide the rest with fork boots.

If you look at this diagram under the fork heading, it doesn't even show it.

But it is inside the inner tube towards the bottom and the damper rod slides through it.

Comment

• Punkskalar
          • Jan 2010

Don't powdercoat the upper legs. The powder will be too thick to slide the lower trees over unless you plan to really do some creative install to avoid the powder being where the trees go.

And, as already mentioned, the powder will really mess with the seals if you powdercoat them that low. If the sealing area is pitted and rusty, it will eat seals for lunch, so you might as well pick up some new tubes... MikesXS has them for a fair price if you can swing it..

Comment

• Missile150
            • Jul 2011

The sealing area is fine. It is maily between the trees that I do not like.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;