Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 0GreasyShawn0
    • Jan 2010

67 a65 lightning deal

So a local here posted a 67 lightning cafe for sale a few days ago and I was all over it. Dude says he picked up a new softie blah blah blah and the wife is makin him dump the old bikes. I make plans to meet up with this guy as soon as he's available to show me the bike, as he assures me its in good running order. I call him an hour before we are supposed to meet up and he tells me he thinks he has it sold, so theres no need to drive out to his place (strike one). Guy calls back about three hours later and tells me he's in my area with the bike in his truck and his previous buyer fell through. He shows up with what looks to be an amazing sickle....until I start givin her the once over. He said he hasn't seriously ridden it for about a year. To make a long story short(er), the bike had some serious valve clatter, a fuel leak from improper float adjustment, serious wet sump issues (i.e. massive oil leak on start up), missing gauges, lacquored gas, and a few other minor issues. He was asking 3 bills for the bike and said he would do no less than 26 hundred cash on her. On the plus side, it has already been swapped over to electronic ignition and had an updated charging system and fired on the first kick cold. I walked away from the deal when he wouldn't budge on the money but I'd really like to be cruisin that thing. I guess my question is what would be a fair price and is it worth inheriting someone else's neglegence? I'm sure when he was cruisin it last summer it was a pretty bitchin ride, but now it's got a laundry list on things to go through to make it good again. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Greasy_Shawn
  • Joey4420
    • May 2011

Wet sump could just be from sitting for the year...

Valve clatter, so the valves need adjusting...

Fuel leaking worse case buy a new carb...

I spent $2000 grand on my 60 Triumph... and everyday I wonder if I spent too much as I order new parts and find things the PO did to screw it up.... then I ride it around and figure damn its only money. Would I do it again.... well sure but I would have tried to get it for a few hundred less.

Finding a bike you like and for a price that isn't crazy, if you have cash and he said $2600 how much did you want to spend? I have over $5000 already in my bike after parts... so you can figure on spending money. Give the guy $2200 cash but keep the other $400 in your pocket if after you can't get him to budge and you really want the bike. Not like you will find one everyday.

Comment

• 0GreasyShawn0
      • Jan 2010

I offered 2 even and his face did'nt change. I figured after going through the thing I'd wind up rackin up quite the parts tab....

Comment

• dukerollo
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Joey4420

I spent $2000 grand on my 60 Triumph... and everyday I wonder if I spent too much as I order new parts and find things the PO did to screw it up.... then I ride it around and figure damn its only money. Would I do it again.... well sure but I would have tried to get it for a few hundred less.

This is right on. The way things are right now IMO, you will be hard pressed to find a complete bike that has not been screwed up by POs for any kind of decent money. Buy what you like and just be prepared to be very intimate with the mechanicals.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;