Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mars
    • Nov 2010

advice on panhead motor with title

I have been looking at purchasing a rebuilt panhead motor with an out of state title. The price is in the area of $6500. I understand that pre-1969 Harleys are titled off the motor. My questions are the following:

1. do I have to find pan frame for this motor or will a generator shovel work? (or other Harley frame options)

2. will I have a problem registering this motor with a non-titled frame?

3. is the asking price too much? (keeping in mind that I ride by myself and I do not know anyone with the know-how to point me in the right direction)

4. what should I consider for transmission options?

If I make the purchase then I will be sitting on this motor for a least one year until I will have the resources for the frame and trans.

Thanks in advance, Mario
  • panmaster
    • Dec 2010

hey mars i'll try and answer all you questions in order ,
    1) any big twin frame 1948 and up you can fit this motor in including aftermarket frames , knuckle motors have a slightly different motor mount spacing and are slightly shorter in the seat post tube
    2) registration laws vary state by state but as all pre 70 hd's are titled by motor only you should have no problem , check with a local notary to be sure or im sure your state has a website you can check
    3)given the info you provided a little hard to answer but id say that number is a little on the high side for just a motor but more info is needed (year , stock -modified , original parts - repop etc)
    4) transmission options are what you want to spend - 4 speed , 5 speed , baker 6 into 4 , whats your budget afford is what you get

if you do have to sit on the motor theres ways to preserve its condition untill you can install it

Comment

• Andy
      • Sep 2009

1) Find a pre '70 oem frame, these do not have serial numbers on them. Rigid frames for Pans ran from '48 to '57, swingarm frames from '58 to '65. You could also use an early Shovel frame, '66 to '69. The idea is to use a non-numbered frame because the motor numbers are what gets titled. Depends if you want rigid or swingarm.

2) No, Panhead frames didn't have numbers. The only thing you might have to be concerned about is if your state wants to do a vin verification or visual inspection. They do that sometimes with out of state titles. It may throw them off if you only have a motor.

3) Price is on the high side, unless it's a matching cases motor that has been rebuilt and has receipts. Make sure the vin is unaltered, lots of numbers jobs out there. Better if the belly numbers match.

4) Depends on what you're building. A stock 4 speed would be the easiest choice.

Comment

• mars
        • Nov 2010

As far as the motor, the seller is online and he is offering several pan motors of varying years. Most are advertised as 74" that are rebuilt with New Old Stock parts, but could you please elaborate on the following quote.

Originally posted by Andy
        1)Better if the belly numbers match.
        Again, thank you for your help.

-Mario

Comment

• themaninblack
          • Nov 2009

Belly numbers are the numbers stamped into the bottom of the cases when they were initially machined in the factory. If they match it means the two cases stayed together through the years, if they don't it likely means one broke and had to be replaced at some point.

The first two digits should be the year they were machined if I remember right (which is often a year earlier than the Serial number on the side)

Comment

• panmaster
            • Dec 2010

also pan motors changed bottom end bearing styles in 55 so 55 and up have opposing timkin bearings and can be updated to shovelhead flywheels or larger , while 54 and earlier use flat roller bearings like a torrington and are harder to get larger flywheels for but it can be done , the belly numbers should be the year of production or 1 year earlier otherwise your looking at a number job , and they should match like themaninblack said

Comment

• Andy
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by mars
              As far as the motor, the seller is online and he is offering several pan motors of varying years. Most are advertised as 74" that are rebuilt with New Old Stock parts, but could you please elaborate on the following quote.
              Again, thank you for your help.
              -Mario
              Before you go and pluck down thousands of dollars, educate yourself about these early motors.

For belly numbers (line bore numbers) Panheads will have a number like this: 151-3276. This particular number would denote a 74" Panhead, 1951. Each case half would have this number. These don't match the vin. The "1" denotes 74", while a 2 would denote 61", note that 61" motors ran from '48 to '52 only. So a 249-2279 would denote a 61", 1949 engine. The last four or sometimes five digits are the sequential code of the cases. For FL engines, each case half will have a "7" stamped on each case, where the rear bolts go. For FLH engines, there is an "H" stamped on each case.

Look at Chris Haynes website, he has some really good case pictures. You need to know what good numbers vs. bad numbers look like: http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/v/Numbers/

Who is the seller of the motor?

Comment

• ChetPunisher
                • Sep 2010

Pretty sure he's looking at Rob's Used Parts.

Comment

• mars
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ChetPunisher
                  Pretty sure he's looking at Rob's Used Parts.
                  Yes Sir, I do not know of any local shops to buy an older motor, and I do not run with any groups with older Harley experience. So, I feel I am in a position to find a reputable dealer online. I have 15 years experience with Twincams and Sportsters, but I want to move to an older motor. My dream has always been a pan or a generator shovel. My original idea was to save up the cash for a clean example of a complete bike, and modify it to my taste. But I began to reconsider this idea with just starting with a motor that carries a title and I can swing the cash for a motor at this time. This would put me in a postition to began the search for parts to complete the build which I would enjoy.
                  Rob's seem expensive but I felt my lack of experience leads me to buying an already built pan and just deal with the frame modifications locally. The only thing that concerns me with Rob's website is that he sells post '69 shovel motors with a title, and that does not mean anything without the matching frame. So, I am a little reluctant to buy from him for that reason. I do not know if I am going in the wrong direction, but I am tired of putting off my dream for fear of making a mistake. At this point, Fuck it. If I make a mistake I will correct it... I just want to get started.

Comment

• mars
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andy
                    Before you go and pluck down thousands of dollars, educate yourself about these early motors.
                    I have been reading about these motors for years, but basically it has been limited to internet research and Harley history books. There is only so much you can learn this way. All the magazine articles always seem to start, "I bought this basket case pan, and with help from my friends we rebuilt the motor." Unfortunately, the few friends I have would only be able to help me pick out the skull collection derby cover and chrome bolt covers.

All the help from your posts have been beyond my expectation. Thanks....

Comment

• dirtbag
                      • Aug 2010

he sells post '69 shovel motors with a title, and that does not mean anything without the matching frame.
                      what are you saying about matching frame,I know my 71 sporty is titled to my engine the #'s are on the engine ,no #'s on the frame,I believe I can put that engine in any frame,and be rolling with a title without a issue..if its titled to the engine there is no title #'s on frame..

Comment

• Andy
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by dirtbag
                        what are you saying about matching frame,I know my 71 sporty is titled to my engine the #'s are on the engine ,no #'s on the frame,I believe I can put that engine in any frame,and be rolling with a title without a issue..if its titled to the engine there is no title #'s on frame..

Wrong, 1970 and up Harley's are titled by the frame numbers, period. Plenty of bikes out there like yours, but it's not legit. Only 1969 and earlier Harley motors are titled by the engine numbers.

Comment

• Andy
                          • Sep 2009

I have been reading about these motors for years, but basically it has been limited to internet research and Harley history books. There is only so much you can learn this way. All the magazine articles always seem to start, "I bought this basket case pan, and with help from my friends we rebuilt the motor." Unfortunately, the few friends I have would only be able to help me pick out the skull collection derby cover and chrome bolt covers.

All the help from your posts have been beyond my expectation. Thanks....
                          Glad to be of help. Keep asking questions and checking out websites, just be careful because sometimes information you may read or hear is not accurate. One good book to get is Bruce Palmers book "How to restore your Harley Davidson". I belive it's out of print now, but copies are still out there and I even think you can buy a copy and download it. Lot's of good infomation for the restoration crowd, however, if you want to learn about Pans, Knucks, and Flatties, this is tbe book.

Keep asking questions.

Comment

• pop
                            • Apr 2011

don't no if this help but i got a new pan build from joe for $5000 with all good compontes your choice of black or chrome

Comment

• Andy
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by pop
                              don't no if this help but i got a new pan build from joe for $5000 with all good compontes your choice of black or chrome
                              http://vulcanworks.net/store_4/pages.php?pageid=6

That's a great motor if you're going the special construction route. It all depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I like oem Pan motors, but everyone builds what they like.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;