Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajInMs
    • May 2011

How To: Fill holes in fender - Fiberglass & Bondo

Decided to fill some holes on Saturday. This is part of a CB750 project that I'm working on. Thought since I was already doing this, I would put this little how to out there for the poor man who wants to fill holes the simple way.

First, apply a little Duck Tape to the outside of the area you want filled. Sometimes you may want to take a hammer and give this area a slight indention.

Next cut your fiberglass sheets to size for the area you want filled. Mix the hardener with the material you can purchase in Fiberglass kit from most any automotive parts house. Brush some of the mixed material onto the surface the sheets will be applied to, lay the sheets down, and cover them with the mixture, taking care to spread out the edges. The finished area should look something similiar to what's below. (This is definately not professional work but CAN save you some $$$$.)

Once the fiberglass has been applied to the inside of the fender and allowed to set for several minutes, the Duck Tape can be pulled from the outside of the fender. The result will appear similiar to the two pictures below.

You can see the basic items you will need in this picture, although you really don't need tape for body work, I was just trying to experiment and reduce the sanding since my DA sander is not functioning currently. The fiberglass kit in the box will have everything you need to do many of these type jobs. It's also a great way to fix the pesky fender well holes in old trucks. The process is the same.

Next, Mix your Bondo Body Filler and apply generously over the holes. Wait a minute or two and grab a simple "cheese grater" (about $4 bucks at the parts house) to knock down the excess before it gets to hard and to begin getting the desired shape. (Again the tape was an experiment and I don't recommend it at all.)

After some sanding with varioud grits of sandpaper ending with some vary fine, you should not be able to feel where the bondo meets the fender. It is now ready to be primed and painted.

Like I said earlier, this is a quick and dirty way to do it and it has never failed me before. I know there are some people on CC who probably do this for a living and can give a much better tutorial, but this is how I have done it the last few times and thought I would share. If anyone has any suggestions or questions, I don't mind either one. I would definately like to learn more about doing body work and painting. If anyone thought this was helpful in any way, let me know.

Oh yeah, and my apologies if the pics come out huge. I'm new to this CC thing and will work on learning how to post pics better.
  • MegaDON666
    • Jul 2010

Great write up, You painting it yourself?

Comment

• ajInMs
      • May 2011

Originally posted by MegaDON666
      Great write up, You painting it yourself?
      I'm going to give painting another try. I'm just using rattle cans right now and paint outside. Here is a shot of the beginning of the tank prep. I'm filling in the area where the Honda emblems were. I made a deeper impression and now am just filling with Bondo. I've still got some work to do but it's been raining all week here and today is the first day with sun.

Comment

• ajInMs
        • May 2011

OK, the huge pictures are annoying as $#^t. I promise to do a search and figure out a better way. Right now, I'm just linking them to my blog post.

Comment

• ridemore16
          • Oct 2009

Hey AJ check out Halwade's sticky on how to post pictures. I've found using photobucket or flicker has been the easiest on this board. Keep this thread updated with your progress for sure!!!

Comment

• ajInMs
            • May 2011

Originally posted by ridemore16
            Hey AJ check out Halwade's sticky on how to post pictures. I've found using photobucket or flicker has been the easiest on this board. Keep this thread updated with your progress for sure!!!
            I'll stop being lazy and open an account for photos next week when I get a chance. Hopefully it will stop raining and I can finish this. My wife let me work on the carbs in the house for an hour one night before she said me and the carbs had to go. Damn I have to get a bigger shop.

Comment

• dwightlightnin
              • Mar 2010

I just turn my ideal arc down to 60 and use 1/8th in rod and weld them up-and put the fire out on the backside when it catchs fire.Then grind it flat.

Comment

• ARBY
                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by ajInMs
                I'll stop being lazy and open an account for photos next week when I get a chance. Hopefully it will stop raining and I can finish this. My wife let me work on the carbs in the house for an hour one night before she said me and the carbs had to go. Damn I have to get a bigger shop.
                Just take your pics and open them with "Paint". Save them on the computer and post them with this:

Piece of cake. That way they don't get deleted like with photofukit, pricker and places like that.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;