Evo Sporty Rewire (Reduced to Essentials Only)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedstrong
    • Apr 2011

Hey guys found my answer and here is a link I found this guy has several well layed out wiring guides

Comment

• billdozer
      • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Hedstrong
      Hey Bill or anyone really. I am redoing a 96 sportster with this guide and my main circuit breaker is a 50amp. I got 2 resettable 30's, can I get buy with the 30 amp breakers or is this thing really in need of the 50?
      Hed, I'm no electrical engineer, but I've been getting by fine with 30amp breakers on the ignition circuit on several bikes with zero probs. None of those run an external starter switch though, they've all been HD's with a push-button on the end of the solenoid. If you keep some kind of other start button you will need the starter relay as far as I know.

Dopple- I'd find a real schematic if you can, it's way better than trying to remember something you did months ago.

Sandman, we ditched the horn, and put the headlight switch in the left side of the motormount, where there is a plastic v-shaped cover with an acorn nut. We removed the acorn, opened up that hole slightly and a toggle fit right in.

Comment

• WOMPY
        • Aug 2009

A trick place for a headlight switch is the head gusset. I put a sealed 20A short toggle on my buddy's bike there. Came out perfectly unnoticeable!!

Comment

• Hedstrong
          • Apr 2011

Thanks for the quick reply's guys. Yep made sure I kept the start button relay JIC ( didnt know what it was at the time)

WOMPY can you circle where you are talking about on a picture, or tell me no XD

Comment

• weentron
            • Apr 2024

This is all stuff I have thought over but haven't personally done, so correct me if I am wrong.

If you get a start button that is rated for 30A or better you should be able to ditch the starter relay.

I currently have all the wiring on my '95 laying on my work bench so I've been geeking out on this thread and that one Jakemon wiring diagram.

Either way I was thinking about doing a 4 position ignition switch on my set up.

So I'd have12v Power coming in from the main 30A fuse/breaker to the key switch, OFF position, ACCESSORY position (power to a 15A fuse/breaker for lights), RUN position(power to a 15A fuse/breaker for the coil/electronic ignition), and momentary START (power to the starter.)

Comment

• TheSandman
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Hedstrong
              WOMPY can you circle where you are talking about on a picture, or tell me no XD
              I think he's talking about the upper, center motor mount.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Comment

• WOMPY
                • Aug 2009

Photobucket

Comment

• Hedstrong
                  • Apr 2011

Thanks wompy, I may use that.

I decided to stick my key under battery box

Comment

• wiseowl73
                    • Feb 2011

stupified.

Stupified, plain and simple.
                    I'm no electrical whiz. That being said, I have had my main mechanic buddy toil and sweat over this problem for a couple weeks until he threw up his hands and resigned. So I called up a buddy who wired up my old Ironhead Sporty, and he seemed really confident at first. Two trips to my garage later, and a complete rewire following the diagrams on this post, he is likewise stumped.
                    I'm freaking out here! The latest bit of speculation is that my ignition control module is bad. Is there some way of testing this, so I am not just blindly dropping loot on something that may or may not be the culprit? As far as I know, it's wired correctly. But still no spark. Coil gets hot, gas is getting into the carb, starter works, has a push button on the solenoid.
                    I mean jesus...it's only a 94 evo sporty... how fucking hard can it be to diagnose and get it going? I was gonna take this bike to Sturgis, and now it seems I might be up a shit creek.
                    I wish I could give more details, but my level of tech ability is far outshadowed by the two pros who gave up on my shit.
                    Any input/ ideas appreciated.

Comment

• imtheslime
                      • Aug 2009

Great post. I'm about to take this on with a 95 I just got. The po went ape shit with dykes and wire nuts.

Comment

• Hedstrong
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by wiseowl73
                        Stupified, plain and simple.
                        I'm no electrical whiz. That being said, I have had my main mechanic buddy toil and sweat over this problem for a couple weeks until he threw up his hands and resigned. So I called up a buddy who wired up my old Ironhead Sporty, and he seemed really confident at first. Two trips to my garage later, and a complete rewire following the diagrams on this post, he is likewise stumped.
                        I'm freaking out here! The latest bit of speculation is that my ignition control module is bad. Is there some way of testing this, so I am not just blindly dropping loot on something that may or may not be the culprit? As far as I know, it's wired correctly. But still no spark. Coil gets hot, gas is getting into the carb, starter works, has a push button on the solenoid.
                        I mean jesus...it's only a 94 evo sporty... how fucking hard can it be to diagnose and get it going? I was gonna take this bike to Sturgis, and now it seems I might be up a shit creek.
                        I wish I could give more details, but my level of tech ability is far outshadowed by the two pros who gave up on my shit.
                        Any input/ ideas appreciated.
                        Hell man, if you can run a wire crimper and read, you'll be fine. I believe in you. Check for spark and pull A/C over and visually confirm you have a nice spray of fuel for us?
                        I "heard" mine shooting fuel but it was not at one time and point.
                        I will check back on my lunch break

Comment

• tattoo2303
                          • Aug 2009

Start a new thread on this and list as much as you can about what was done and try to include what wires were removed, spliced to what and so on- I worked on the wiring for my 93 (which I think is the same) and in the end feel really confident about it- ill help ya as much as I can

Comment

• rus
                            • Aug 2009

bill (or anyone else who can read better than me)

did you run a separate starter button, or are you running a car-like keyed starter?

and for those circuit breakers, you just cut all the wires to the fuse box and connected them to those little breakers? fucking genius. that box is taking up so much space on mine. gonna have to ape that shit.

Comment

• tobiism
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by rus

did you run a separate starter button, or are you running a car-like keyed starter?

and for those circuit breakers, you just cut all the wires to the fuse box and connected them to those little breakers? fucking genius. that box is taking up so much space on mine. gonna have to ape that shit.
                              he's running a mechanical push button directly on the end of the starter solenoid.
                              like this-

Comment

• billdozer
                                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by rus

Rus, yeah I removed the fuse box and stock breakers and just replaced them with the three breakers shown. Once you get rid of all the blinkers and junk you don't really need all that stuff. Tobiism is right, it's just a push
                                Button starter, super simple.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;