Evo Sporty Rewire (Reduced to Essentials Only)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 93trident
    • Nov 2019

Soooooo did anyone ever post a simple wiring diagram for a 2004-2006 Sportster. Bloody wiring diagrams for rubber mount carb models seem to be rarer than hens teeth. Its mostly the ignition module wiring i need to find. The diagrams on here have the black and grey modules but not the one piece black one on the 2004-2006. Some great stuff on here by the way. Respect

Comment

• middleclasschops
      • Feb 2020

93trident, I can probably work up a wiring diagram for you if you really need one. Here is a simplified diagram I did for my buddy. He has a 2003 Sportster. The diagram I did utilizes the factory wiring diagram so all the color codes are correct. He wanted everything gone but the neutral light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 Sporty Wiring Chopper.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	1316071

*UPDATE* Been working on the wiring some more and made it even simpler for the 2003 sporty which is now running! Because he's running a car style ignition, I was able to eliminate the starter relay. We also eliminated the neutral light. At the same time, I got a request for a 1995 Sporty. This one running to plunger style starter button on the starter, so again, no need for a relay but he also wanted to run a brake switch on both the hand and foot controls.

Name:	2003 Sporty Wiring chop no relay.jpg
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	1318391

Name:	1995 Sportster Wiring No Relay.jpg
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	1318392
      Last edited by middleclasschops; 05-14-2020, 6:29 PM.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Nice work, mcc!

93trident, use your factory service manual to figure out what you need then sketch that separately. All complex schematics can help derive simple schematics.

Comment

• sdsbassist
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by middleclasschops
          93trident, I can probably work up a wiring diagram for you if you really need one. Here is a simplified diagram I did for my buddy. He has a 2003 Sportster. The diagram I did utilizes the factory wiring diagram so all the color codes are correct. He wanted everything gone but the neutral light.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100472[/ATTACH]
          So wait a second...you can bypass the ECM all together? I hope its yes. This would be amazing!

Comment

• middleclasschops
            • Feb 2020

Originally posted by sdsbassist
            So wait a second...you can bypass the ECM all together? I hope its yes. This would be amazing!
            The 2003 did not have an external ECM. The 1995 diagram that i just posted did and you can see what i did with it.

Comment

• sdsbassist
              • Jun 2014

The 2003 did not have an external ECM. The 1995 diagram that i just posted did and you can see what i did with it.
              First of all, i want to say how much I appreciate you posting this. Its super helpful.

Comparing your diagram with my own, my wires coming from the IGN plate are different colors. Mine areClick image for larger version

Name:	20200514_130830(2).jpg
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	1318381

Comment

• sdsbassist
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by sdsbassist
                First of all, i want to say how much I appreciate you posting this. Its super helpful.

Comparing your diagram with my own, my wires coming from the IGN plate are different colors. Mine are[ATTACH=CONFIG]103361[/ATTACH]
                It was an aftermarket ultima

Comment

• 93trident
                  • Nov 2019

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100472[/ATTACH]

*UPDATE* Been working on the wiring some more and made it even simpler for the 2003 sporty which is now running! Because he's running a car style ignition, I was able to eliminate the starter relay. We also eliminated the neutral light. At the same time, I got a request for a 1995 Sporty. This one running to plunger style starter button on the starter, so again, no need for a relay but he also wanted to run a brake switch on both the hand and foot controls.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103371[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103372[/ATTACH]
                  Sorry mate i swore i replied to this. Thanks for the offer i may need one . Respect to you for the offer

Comment

• Gurlrider83
                    • Aug 2021

Attached Files

Comment

• rabies
                      • May 2019

by chance has anyone made a diagram for lets say a 92 1200 xlh with dynatech ignition?
                      deleting voes and ignition module??
                      direct starter button.
                      no front brake switch.
                      no high beam.

just curious how the wires run without ig module and voes.

Comment

• sincerelyscott
                        • Jan 2022

I’ve got a 92 883 that I’ve almost got completely wired just facing a few road blocks that I can’t figure out.
                        I’m using a momentary start switch and 2 30 amp breakers. I’ve got a shitty diagram that I’ll insert but I’m unsure if I’m identifying the correct wires (I have the Voltage Reg connected to a breaker but not sure if that’s correct)

Name:	264DFDC8-AFD8-42AC-A756-386EF95DD95B.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1322453
                        I was able to get lights working and a click anytime I turn the key but no cranking (except for 1 time and I have no idea if I’ve worked past that incorrectly bc I can’t get it to crank again)
                        Here’s the wires I’m unsure of

Name:	5928C986-CAFD-45AA-A1DE-E2C14397BF94.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1322454
                        Thick black wire coming from under the starter relay bundle
                        There’s 2 black wires coming from the bundle
                        As well as a green (oil indicator?)
                        Also wonder if it matters which black and red wire I use from the starter relay
                        Pretty lost guys hoping for some guidance

Comment

• sincerelyscott
                          • Jan 2022

Originally posted by sincerelyscott
                          I’ve got a 92 883 that I’ve almost got completely wired just facing a few road blocks that I can’t figure out.
                          I’m using a momentary start switch and 2 30 amp breakers. I’ve got a shitty diagram that I’ll insert but I’m unsure if I’m identifying the correct wires (I have the Voltage Reg connected to a breaker but not sure if that’s correct)
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]108516[/ATTACH]
                          I was able to get lights working and a click anytime I turn the key but no cranking (except for 1 time and I have no idea if I’ve worked past that incorrectly bc I can’t get it to crank again)
                          Here’s the wires I’m unsure of
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]108517[/ATTACH]
                          Thick black wire coming from under the starter relay bundle
                          There’s 2 black wires coming from the bundle
                          As well as a green (oil indicator?)
                          Also wonder if it matters which black and red wire I use from the starter relay
                          Pretty lost guys hoping for some guidance
                          Just traced the green wire and it was the oil pressure switch so I removed that and traced the thick black wire and found it to be the regulator, now just wondering why I still can’t get it to start

Comment

• SteveJ
                            • Mar 2022

So much fun watching and reading this stuff.
                            lol

Comment

• sincerelyscott
                              • Jan 2022

Originally posted by weentron
                              This is all stuff I have thought over but haven't personally done, so correct me if I am wrong.

If you get a start button that is rated for 30A or better you should be able to ditch the starter relay.

I currently have all the wiring on my '95 laying on my work bench so I've been geeking out on this thread and that one Jakemon wiring diagram.

Either way I was thinking about doing a 4 position ignition switch on my set up.

So I'd have12v Power coming in from the main 30A fuse/breaker to the key switch, OFF position, ACCESSORY position (power to a 15A fuse/breaker for lights), RUN position(power to a 15A fuse/breaker for the coil/electronic ignition), and momentary START (power to the starter.)
                              Got it figured out! Kept looking at the mutant wiring diagram and noticed there was no starter relay used, and when I hooked my key switch directly to the starter I got it to crank! Sorry for the newb posts just needed to sit down and go over diagrams until it clicked for me (and the bike )

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;