Evo Sporty Rewire (Reduced to Essentials Only)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmattsen
    • May 2015

Are there any minimum ratings for replacement bar controls? I have two 2-position toggles for the dimmer and kill switch and a momentary switch for the starter button. The momentary switch is only rated at 3A or 1.5A..... That's not high enough right?

And wear do people get the turnkey ignitions for bikes?
    Last edited by jmattsen; 06-15-2016, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Borntwolose
      • Aug 2016

Billdozer, I noticed your wiring diagram spliced into the coil power from ignition do you or any one know would I splice into my pink wire or grey on a 1999 1200 sportster stock ignition control module/ coil? Any help would be great thanks

Comment

• joe78
        • Jan 2013

Pretty sure grey wire

Comment

• nickey
          • Feb 2013

Huge thanks to billdozer and all for this thread. It was invaluable when I redid my sportys wiring this past weekend. I didn't follow the exact setup described but it helped. Along with the stock wiring diagram it made the task doable.

Managed to get complete harness out without cutting anything and reused stock wires to wire up just what I needed. Really cleaned up my bars!

Comment

• 12bee
            • Aug 2015

sorry the little plug in clip on the starter is that a ground

Comment

• ruperto36
              • Jan 2013

Have a new to me 1999 883 that I'm stripping down with some serious f^%$ed up wiring. Can someone tell me what this is. Triangle connector and goes all the way to the left of the sprocket and is bolted inClick image for larger version

Name:	20161006_183547_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1292807Click image for larger version

Name:	20161006_183613_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	1292808 The 2nd picture shows where it connects with an allen bolt. It appears to have a red, black and white wire. I can find that combo in my wiring diagrams
              Last edited by ruperto36; 10-06-2016, 8:05 PM.

Comment

• bobscogin
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by ruperto36
                Have a new to me 1999 883 that I'm stripping down with some serious f^%$ed up wiring. Can someone tell me what this is. Triangle connector and goes all the way to the left of the sprocket and is bolted in
                I don't have a wiring diagram handy, but maybe electronic speedo sensor.

Bob

Comment

• nickey
                  • Feb 2013

Yea I'm pretty sure it's speedo wires

Comment

• nickey
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by 12bee
                    sorry the little plug in clip on the starter is that a ground
                    What clip are you referring to? Have a pic?

Comment

• ruperto36
                      • Jan 2013

Thanks Bob and Nicky that was it.

Comment

• scootntoot
                        • Jan 2017

hey i am in a similar boat, figured it is timing related but not sure. did you ever resolve this?

Comment

• CarbFarts
                          • Sep 2017

Figured I would post here rather than making a new thread, I'm helping a buddy work on his 2000 sportster and cleaning up the harness for a minimal amount of wiring. Headlamp, brake light, ignition, etc. but with the VEOS as well as he is afraid of it causing issues if it's removed. So we got it all back together this evening, bike turns over, all lights work, but now we're not getting spark. We removed the TSM, but other than that the only other wires were for turns, speedo, dummy lights, etc. Anything you guys think we may have missed in the process or common things to check while reconnecting the harness that may be causing the issue? Thanks.

Comment

• afraziaaaa
                            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by CarbFarts
                            Figured I would post here rather than making a new thread, I'm helping a buddy work on his 2000 sportster and cleaning up the harness for a minimal amount of wiring. Headlamp, brake light, ignition, etc. but with the VEOS as well as he is afraid of it causing issues if it's removed. So we got it all back together this evening, bike turns over, all lights work, but now we're not getting spark. We removed the TSM, but other than that the only other wires were for turns, speedo, dummy lights, etc. Anything you guys think we may have missed in the process or common things to check while reconnecting the harness that may be causing the issue? Thanks.
                            Did you ground the white and green wire coming out of the ignition module?

Comment

• ChopperChrash
                              • Nov 2015

On my 93 I removed everything electrical (with the exception of a new brake light switch and an old swap meet chopper headlight) and ASSUMED all I needed from the front of that harness was the white wire going to the start button and I would just run it to the new start button location. After reading this thread over and over I guess that won't work. When I replaced the seat and battery I noticed about 2.4billion wires had been spliced into the end of the harness and there are no plugs resembling the black and grey ones posted in this thread. Instead all of these new spliced wires are the same color and bundled up in 2 balls of melted electrical tape shoved under the seat. Im about to light this ting on fire and walk away.

Comment

• ChopperChrash
                                • Nov 2015

I decided to let the mess under the seat go until I eliminate everything unused. I cut open the harness and noted each wire separating them into "GO" (wires to eliminate), "STAY" (wires to coil), and "STAY" (wires to carb etc.). Hopefully I can find a wiring diagram with the colors listed telling me exactly what all these wires are.

GO: 1.) white / purple tracer =
                                2.) white / brown tracer =
                                3.) green =
                                4.) tan =
                                5.) orange =
                                6.) red =
                                7.) grey =
                                8.) black / red tracer =
                                9.) white / green tracer =
                                10.) purple =
                                11.) blue =
                                12.) brown =