Email Password Mobile Version / Desktop Version
Search
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

OH and I'm not running a 15A breaker to the coil, I guess if it doesn't exceed 30A it's ok? If you wanna be on the safe side it's probably not a bad idea, you could always just bypass it if it keeps popping the breaker.

Get Adobe Flash player

I rewired my 89 sporty. The lights work but it does not start. I followed the diagram and it won't start now. I used these little guys as a start and kill switch http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3700070.

I think I did something wrong but can't figure it out. If I touch the wire from the starter button th battery it turns over and starts but if once everything is connected nothing....

The lights still work. No power loss. New Battery, checked the Stator.

There is no oil pressure light, neutral, turn signals or horn. I kept the breakers but replaced them.

The last pic I am a little unsure.

photo 20130922_172342_zps98822501.jpg

photo 20130922_172252_zps22f7ee9a.jpg

photo 20130922_172221_zps2c6cf0f7.jpg
    Last edited by BocaJRS; 09-22-2013 at 3:43 PM. Reason: Pictures

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BocaJRS View Post
    I rewired my 89 sporty. The lights work but it does not start. I followed the diagram and it won't start now. I used these little guys as a start and kill switch http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3700070.

I think I did something wrong but can't figure it out. If I touch the wire from the starter button th battery it turns over and starts but if once everything is connected nothing....

I am taking pictures and will be posting in a few.

Sounds like you have no power to your start switch.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks. Now do I wire a wire straight to that from the copper pole on breaker or the other one from the main breaker? Or straight from the battery?
    Last edited by BocaJRS; 09-22-2013 at 3:54 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

rewiring an 06 rubbermount sportster ive got it all back together and it sparks for the first ten seconds of starting the bike then the spark gives out. Does it sound like the security system is armed? If anyone can help that would be great.

So I rewired my bike with minimal wiring, but now I'm wondering how I should route the wiring to the headlight, ignition switch, voes, and coil? I just zip tied it under the top tube with some wiring loom, but it looks kinda dumb. Has anybody routed wiring through their top tube?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BocaJRS View Post

There is no oil pressure light, neutral, turn signals or horn. I kept the breakers but replaced them.

The last pic I am a little unsure.

photo 20130922_172342_zps98822501.jpg

photo 20130922_172252_zps22f7ee9a.jpg

photo 20130922_172221_zps2c6cf0f7.jpg
    I could be wrong but that cam position sensor looks like it might have been fried. The potting is melted.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by heyheyhey View Post
    So I rewired my bike with minimal wiring, but now I'm wondering how I should route the wiring to the headlight, ignition switch, voes, and coil? I just zip tied it under the top tube with some wiring loom, but it looks kinda dumb. Has anybody routed wiring through their top tube?
    my down-sized wiring fits up under my tank. I wrapped it to be "flatter", more like beef jerky than a hotdog.

Get Adobe Flash player

just need a quick verification, the voltage regulator has 3 wires 2 of which are part of a plug that traces back into the primary (stator) and the 3rd is much longer and has a female spade connector, is this lone wire a ground??

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by tattoo2303 View Post
    just need a quick verification, the voltage regulator has 3 wires 2 of which are part of a plug that traces back into the primary (stator) and the 3rd is much longer and has a female spade connector, is this lone wire a ground??
    No , not a ground. It should run to the battery or to a breaker then the battery. The regulator itself is grounded to frame.

I think one is to ground (engine case) and the other hot to the battery, usually off the starter stud.

Get Adobe Flash player

Can I use this as a guide for a efi to carb conversion using a thunder heart as the ignition modue?

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm trying to eliminate dummy lights, speedo, and signals on my 98 1200. I ditched the stock handle bar controls, added got one of those marine switches with the solenoid and everything so that I don't need a push button, ditched the dummy lights and the speedo. I originally wanted to keep my signals and was just going to put in my own switches and new smaller lights but after I did everything and the bike didn't start I decided to ditch the signals all together for now and worry about them later if I decide I want them. Anyway, during the wiring process, because I don't know a ton about bike wiring, I decided to test it before I finished it up. I turned the key it started, ran for a minute, then died. At the time I didn't have a throttle hooked up so I attributed its quick death to that and kept on wiring. Finished up went to start and it didn't start. Now I've pulled everything back and between what I see on my bike and the wiring diagram I'm very lost.
    Things that confuse me:
    -I have a green wire coming from the main harness that looks like it was once connected to a white/black wire. Pretty sure the green comes from the starter relay and the white/black goes into the main harness and I haven't been able to trace where it goes but it does look like it was once soldered to the green wire.
    -There's a second white/black wire coming form the main harness, on the diagram the white wire connects to the solenoid that's only on CA models, I don't think I have a CA model considering I'm in MA. This second white/black wire splits of a couple times and I know it's supposed to connect to my coils.
    -Essentially the amount of white/black wires is whats stumping me, along with the fact I started the bike once mid process, then somewhere in connecting new switches etc, I blew the ignition and accessory fuses and it won't start.

I know these answers are all over chopcult so if someone has link that answers this stuff that'd be great, if not some advice would be great. Should I just pull the whole harness out and start from scratch? I don't know what to do. Teaching myself seems only take me so far. I need some guidence.

Share This