Evo Sporty Rewire (Reduced to Essentials Only)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tobiism
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by wiseowl73
    Stupified, plain and simple.
    I'm no electrical whiz. That being said, I have had my main mechanic buddy toil and sweat over this problem for a couple weeks until he threw up his hands and resigned. So I called up a buddy who wired up my old Ironhead Sporty, and he seemed really confident at first. Two trips to my garage later, and a complete rewire following the diagrams on this post, he is likewise stumped.
    I'm freaking out here! The latest bit of speculation is that my ignition control module is bad. Is there some way of testing this, so I am not just blindly dropping loot on something that may or may not be the culprit? As far as I know, it's wired correctly. But still no spark. Coil gets hot, gas is getting into the carb, starter works, has a push button on the solenoid.
    I mean jesus...it's only a 94 evo sporty... how fucking hard can it be to diagnose and get it going? I was gonna take this bike to Sturgis, and now it seems I might be up a shit creek.
    I wish I could give more details, but my level of tech ability is far outshadowed by the two pros who gave up on my shit.
    Any input/ ideas appreciated.
    How did you delete the bank angle sensor? The green/grey wire needs to be tied into ground.

That bank angle sensor gives a LOT of people grief when they rewire.

Comment

• rus
      • Aug 2009

bank angle sensor...
      bill can probably answer but from what i remember there are 3 wires. you tie two of them together, cap the other. can't remember which, but if you google it eventually you'll find it. i believe i got the info off xlforum

Bill,
      if I'm keeping signals, can i still get rid of the fuse block and just add another circuit, or will it cause some unknown issues? i don't want signals, but i want tickets even less. plus, i like the challenge of trying to do them in a real tasteful way.

Comment

• tattoo2303
        • Aug 2009

I don't think a 94 should have a bank angle sensor- the 2 wres that need to be tied together are the white and grey wires its essentially over riding or cancelling the kill switch

Comment

• OneOfThem
          • Aug 2010

Great thread. I have to tackle this soon.

Comment

• billdozer
            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by wiseowl73
            Stupified, plain and simple.
            I'm no electrical whiz. That being said, I have had my main mechanic buddy toil and sweat over this problem for a couple weeks until he threw up his hands and resigned. So I called up a buddy who wired up my old Ironhead Sporty, and he seemed really confident at first. Two trips to my garage later, and a complete rewire following the diagrams on this post, he is likewise stumped.
            I'm freaking out here! The latest bit of speculation is that my ignition control module is bad. Is there some way of testing this, so I am not just blindly dropping loot on something that may or may not be the culprit? As far as I know, it's wired correctly. But still no spark. Coil gets hot, gas is getting into the carb, starter works, has a push button on the solenoid.
            I mean jesus...it's only a 94 evo sporty... how fucking hard can it be to diagnose and get it going? I was gonna take this bike to Sturgis, and now it seems I might be up a shit creek.
            I wish I could give more details, but my level of tech ability is far outshadowed by the two pros who gave up on my shit.
            Any input/ ideas appreciated.
            Did you get this resolved? If you truly have no spark but are getting power to the coil then it must be somewhere between your ignition in the cone and the module. Do you have a diagram for your year? The 94 is not going to be the same as the 2002 I showed. Retrace that portion, and don't tidy it all up until you know you are getting spark. Check that all grounds are grounded and not just snipped off. Make double sure its not a gas issue with the Voes petcock not flowing fuel.

Comment

• OneOfThem
              • Aug 2010

Cut down the hand controls. Didn't touch the bulk of the wire bundle short of just cutting it back to where the coil/key switch are. Moved the hi/low switch to the top of the light. Installed a starter button on the solenoid. The pic I posted is huge. You can see it on http://www.visegripmc.com

Comment

• KackAttack
                • Apr 2011

well my bro in law and i redid the wiring on my 01' 1200 , we kept the factory self reseting breakers and all , used a microswitch for the start button.
                all seemed well untill after he left , i got the rest of the bike together and went to start it and its acting like the batt is dead. i just hear starter clicking.
                (probably bad idea) but i tried to jump it with the car since i dont have a batt charger. it started once, while i was setting the the idle the choke snapped back in and killed it now i cant get it to start again.(even hooked to the car batt.)
                the voltage on the battery is reading 12-13 and i dont see any reading at all when i jump from the ground terminal to a ground on the frame.
                so as far as i can tell there is no draw there. do you all think i will be ok if i can just get my hands on a trickle charger?

Comment

• EvilEvo
                  • Sep 2011

I am in the middle of a re wire on my 96, but Im hung up on an Issue. I am not getting spark out of my coil either. My bike is stock without a bank angle sensor. I'm getting power to the coil and my voes and cam position sensor. Any ideas? Can a coil take shit like that, its been sitting for a week.

Comment

• Tito
                    • May 2010

^^^^^^^^^^Did you mess with the control pods on the bars? Mainly the kill switch?

Comment

• EvilEvo
                      • Sep 2011

Yes I eliminated them, I've been trying to gather info about that. Something about jumping or looping it? But the thing is, I don't have any wires left to use..

Comment

• tattoo2303
                        • Aug 2009

without really knowing what youve done id say locate your grey and your white wires they need to be connected, what the kill switch does is cut the juice to your coil via the white wire.

coils- not typically you can bench test a coil by having the hot wire attached and tapping a hot wire against the other post post, and watch for spark at the plug. **read up on this ive done it but it was about a year ago and im a little fuzzy on how i did it.

heres something i made up-
                        this is just the essentials! no turn signals, no dummy lights, using a marine igntion switch to turn the bike on and start it, this worked f...
                        Last edited by tattoo2303; 11-04-2011, 7:08 AM.

Comment

• EvilEvo
                          • Sep 2011

Ok what ive done Is eliminate any wire possible beside head light, rear tail/brake, and ign. I do not have a gray or white wire to spare lol. I'm thinking if there is a way to tap in to power from my ign breaker to my w/bk coil wire..ya or nay? Wire a kill switch in between you know.
                          And as far as the bench test goes, my manual even suggests that and I tried it but got no spark still. But I can't understand how my coil can take a shit by sitting.

Comment

• doppleganger87
                            • Dec 2010

i think i wired my white/black to a hot wire in my key ignition..like accessory maybe..anyways this works powering and killing power to the coil..ho0pe this helps??

Comment

• tattoo2303
                              • Aug 2009

^^bingo

what color are the 2 wires going to your coil? and were do they come from? your coil system works like this- one wire ONLY comes from your control module (pink in my case- and on the diagram) that is what is intermitent power controlled by your ignition basically switching on/off over and over. the other wire (white in the diagram) is a constant on when your bike is turned on.

if you look at the diagram the white lead goes from the key switch to a breaker, a grey wire comes out of the breaker and goes to where the kill switch used to be in the diagram i have it just connected to the white wire by a black bar

there is also a white wire from your control module, if you did away with all that stuff - you still need to get power to that wire some how.

you dont need to wire in a kill switch, just run a hot lead from your mean of turning on the bike to the white wire when you turn the bike off itll kill it by taking the power away from the coil
                              Last edited by tattoo2303; 11-04-2011, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• EvilEvo
                                • Sep 2011

We must have conflicting modules because both my coil wires come out of my module and I don't have a solid white wire. Which wire provides power to the coil pink or w/bk?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;