CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 12 of 12 First ... 2101112

I know this is an old thread, but hoping to get some answers from someone.
    I tore out all the wiring on my 94 and doing bare bones wiring. I think I have everything laid out and figured out except for the wiring for my electronic ignition to the coil and to the switch. I have 3 wires coming from my electronic ignition, which are black, white, and green. My coil has 2 post on it. Which wires go to which post. Then do I need to run a wire from my coil to my ignition switch to power it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire9.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	98041

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

What does the schematic in your factory service manual tell you those wires connected to in the first place?

If you don't have a FSM then download one or otherwise find a stock schematic. Printing them lets you highlight where wires go. I use colored pencils (old USAF training method) when I print off a schematic to write on.

https://www.carlsalter.com/harley-service-manuals.asp

You need a wiring diagram for your particular electronic ignition. What unit do you have?

And as for the second question, yes, you must attach a switched 12V wire from your ignition switch or kill switch to one post of the coil. For dual fire coils (two posts, two plug wire towers) it does not matter which post you designate the positive post.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

I've printed out the diagram for the 1989 Sportster with no idea of what any of it does for my chop. Following the advice of Farmall, I began tracing what I knew I was going to keep and using colored pencils. This helped me form an idea of how everything works and gave me a much better understanding of wiring. Once that is done, I will draw my own diagram in hope of being able to fully understand it.

Slow and steady...

Get Adobe Flash player

Good!

The skills you'll learn and independence you gain learning wiring pay off for a lifetime and are worth more than a motorcycle.

Soooooo did anyone ever post a simple wiring diagram for a 2004-2006 Sportster. Bloody wiring diagrams for rubber mount carb models seem to be rarer than hens teeth. Its mostly the ignition module wiring i need to find. The diagrams on here have the black and grey modules but not the one piece black one on the 2004-2006. Some great stuff on here by the way. Respect

Get Adobe Flash player

93trident, I can probably work up a wiring diagram for you if you really need one. Here is a simplified diagram I did for my buddy. He has a 2003 Sportster. The diagram I did utilizes the factory wiring diagram so all the color codes are correct. He wanted everything gone but the neutral light.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2003 Sporty Wiring Chopper.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	100472

*UPDATE* Been working on the wiring some more and made it even simpler for the 2003 sporty which is now running! Because he's running a car style ignition, I was able to eliminate the starter relay. We also eliminated the neutral light. At the same time, I got a request for a 1995 Sporty. This one running to plunger style starter button on the starter, so again, no need for a relay but he also wanted to run a brake switch on both the hand and foot controls.

Name:	2003 Sporty Wiring chop no relay.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	103371

Name:	1995 Sportster Wiring No Relay.jpg 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	103372
    Last edited by middleclasschops; 05-14-2020 at 6:29 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice work, mcc!

93trident, use your factory service manual to figure out what you need then sketch that separately. All complex schematics can help derive simple schematics.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by middleclasschops View Post
    93trident, I can probably work up a wiring diagram for you if you really need one. Here is a simplified diagram I did for my buddy. He has a 2003 Sportster. The diagram I did utilizes the factory wiring diagram so all the color codes are correct. He wanted everything gone but the neutral light.

So wait a second...you can bypass the ECM all together? I hope its yes. This would be amazing!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbassist View Post
    So wait a second...you can bypass the ECM all together? I hope its yes. This would be amazing!
    The 2003 did not have an external ECM. The 1995 diagram that i just posted did and you can see what i did with it.

Get Adobe Flash player

The 2003 did not have an external ECM. The 1995 diagram that i just posted did and you can see what i did with it.
    First of all, i want to say how much I appreciate you posting this. Its super helpful.

Comparing your diagram with my own, my wires coming from the IGN plate are different colors. Mine areClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20200514_130830(2).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	287.4 KB 
ID:	103361

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbassist View Post
    First of all, i want to say how much I appreciate you posting this. Its super helpful.

Comparing your diagram with my own, my wires coming from the IGN plate are different colors. Mine areClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20200514_130830(2).jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	287.4 KB 
ID:	103361
    It was an aftermarket ultima

*UPDATE* Been working on the wiring some more and made it even simpler for the 2003 sporty which is now running! Because he's running a car style ignition, I was able to eliminate the starter relay. We also eliminated the neutral light. At the same time, I got a request for a 1995 Sporty. This one running to plunger style starter button on the starter, so again, no need for a relay but he also wanted to run a brake switch on both the hand and foot controls.

Name:	2003 Sporty Wiring chop no relay.jpg 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	103371

Name:	1995 Sportster Wiring No Relay.jpg 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	103372
    Sorry mate i swore i replied to this. Thanks for the offer i may need one . Respect to you for the offer

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Share This