CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default She's Almost there! Need Help, after Paint ? *Pics Inside*

So I've been Working on this bike for about 3 months in what little spare time I have, if you havent seen my project thread / introduction http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8822. This is my 1st Project Bike, But my 2nd Bike... So Far. See Pix Below.

After i re-wired it and everything I had it started and running. I Pulled it Back Apart for Paint. Now I Cant Get it Fired Back up.

What Did I Paint over or Do that I cant get it to fire up?

I re-grounded my fender and tail light. I cleaned my coil pack mounts... But I don't really seem to have spark. I was thinking maybe it wasn't grounded well (i.e. paint), so I sanded and re checked. still not seeing fire between the wire and plug.

I replaced my old 30 amp Fuse w/ a Brand New one...

My coil pack looks like Shit... But it ran before! hahaha

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Did I paint over something more Im not thinking of? or Could My coil Pack Possibly need to be replaced? Or?

Specs:

I:

Pulled off:
    ~Front Fender
    ~Front Brakes (the caliper was bad anyways)
    ~Front & Rear Blinkers

Made:
    ~New Seat Mounts
    ~New Exhaust
    ~New Harness
    ~Side Plate w/ Push start button (free handed the art on it)
    ~Sissy Bar is Custom Made, But Not by Me.

Bought:
    ~New Grips
    ~New Tail Light & Tail Light Mount
    ~New Tail Light / Brake Pedal Sensor
    ~New Glass Lense Headlight (Converted to an h4 from a Sealed Beam)
    ~New Headlight Brackets
    ~New (To Me) Speedo, Tach, and Bracket
    ~New Solo Seat

Paint = Satin Black Frame & Gunmetal

Before:

Now:

Get Adobe Flash player

anyone?

Get Adobe Flash player

do you still have a good ground to the frame? double checked the wiring to make sure you have it right? one wrong connection could do it
    Last edited by Shock; 06-22-2011 at 11:20 AM.

livingdeadmc

Did u check for spark or just assuming no spark? Battery ground solid?

Get Adobe Flash player

Get a good volt meter. You could use it to check continuity on your grounding issues. Sounds like coil pack, or wires going to coil. Good luck
    Last edited by NicksCP; 06-22-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a Volt meeter, someone Said Check power at the wires at the coil pack. Do i check that in Om' s (spelling? lol) or Volts?

I checked for spark buy holing the wire by the tip of the plug, but someone said to put a plug in the wire and see instead, thats next thing im gonna try. my grounds seem good. I cleaned everything up. i have tail light, headlight, gauge lights, and it trys to crack (i have compression), but no spark.

What if i have my plug wires miss ordered? i dont have #s on them really... lol. 2 wires have a ! on them, 1 wire has a 4, and my other wire is blank.

Get Adobe Flash player

When you check for spark, you put a plug in the wire and ground the electrode to a head bolt or some other good ground source. Then you can see the spark jump the electrode. Just watch you don't ignite the contents of you cylinder...

Hilarity may ensue...

Get Adobe Flash player

To check the power feed of the coil (not the plug side) set your meter to volts DC. Touch the black lead to the frame, and the red lead to the 12v wire on the coil (the one that runs to the battery/fuse). If you have 12 volts. Switch your meter to the continuity setting (most meters will beep when you touch the leads), then touch one to the negative on the battery, and the other to =various points on the frame, this will tell you if your battery is properly grounded. Although if things like your headlight and such are working, you probably have the battery grounded just fine. If you have power to the coil, the next thing to test is the trigger to the coil. Leave your meter on continuity (beep), and (make sure the bike is in neutral of course) touch one lead to the ground (chassis or negative on the battery), and the other lead to the trigger side of the coil. As you turn over the bike it should beep, then go away, then beep and go away, yadda, yadda yadda. If it is not, then you have a break in your trigger wire, or your ignition is not putting out signal. If you have both to em, then you need to test your coil's impedance, and also your plug wires. I am a harley guy, so I am unsure of your coil's impedance, but maybe some of the other guys can help ya with that. Good luck my man.

Get Adobe Flash player

Now that I re-read my post, do the first 2 steps in the opposite order. Check your ground first, or you will never get 12v to the coil anyway. Ha ha. Brain working faster than I can type, sorry.

Get Adobe Flash player

Any luck with the ideas above?

NHMike

I dig the paint man!! The graphics are cool as fuck. Good luck getting it running!!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Had my battery tested/charged to be sure, only holding at 10 volts, not 12? If im not puttin out 12blot like its suppose to would that cause me not to spark? i heard the honda ones are touchy with voltage. I'm gonna run by my shop and grab my tool bag. think im gonna go back for a new battery too.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by DualCamDan View Post
    Had my battery tested/charged to be sure, only holding at 10 volts, not 12? If im not puttin out 12blot like its suppose to would that cause me not to spark? i heard the honda ones are touchy with voltage. I'm gonna run by my shop and grab my tool bag. think im gonna go back for a new battery too.
    Could be, but in theory you would just get a weak spark. Again, I am not a 4 cyl guy and am not familiar with the igition system on a Honda. But 4 cylinders means more spark, so it could be. Keep in mind, resistance, amps, and voltage all go hand in hand. Either way you are going to need a new battery if it isn't charging to 12v, but it may not be why you have no spark.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm gonna run and get a new battery, some plugs, and some gas. Grab my Tool Bag and see if i can get it figured out. Ill come back n let you guys know.

Thanks for the ideas and input

and thanks for the compliments, i painted it all myself, did the side cover freehand

Get Adobe Flash player

Well, Ive got a new battery, a battery charger, my volt meter, and im stuck waiting... takes "2-5 hrs" to charge my new battery. I bought a Charger and Maintainer.

After its all charged im gonna try and give her a Kick...

I am gonna check the voltage, but w/ my New battery after its charged. I stopped by my buddy Brad's -->

http://www.boostedbrad.com/

here in town and he said if my battery isn't holding 12v, I might not see the right voltage if i checked it now.

I also grabbed a gallon of 93 to throw in my tank.
    Last edited by DualCamDan; 06-22-2011 at 9:13 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Are you Ready for this? My Problem ='d the Battery, n possibly mis-arranged plug wires. Here she is!
    Video

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS!

Share This