• Show
Clear All
  • Altan
    • Sep 2017

B&H global braking system

Hi from New Zealand
    I’ve got an 88 FXST with twin discs. I want to put 2” over fork tubes
    and six bend handlebars on it.
    To get the extra length in the brake lines, I am looking at options. Has anyone used the B&H global braking system
    on their chop?
    Thanks
    Motozone – NZ’s largest online motorcycle superstore. Dirt and Road Bike gear, parts and Accessories.
  • docmel
    • May 2015

What you are looking at should, as long as the end fittings are the correct size/pitch. Your local hydraulic line shop can make them for you super cheap as well. Regrdless, be darn sure you get them long enough! You need some slack in case the front end is ever taken off the ground

Comment

• Altan
      • Sep 2017

Thanks for your reply.
      I am looking at this system because there doesn't seem to be any cheap options here.
      I did see some swivel fittings that looked very similar to the existing ones on the bike that screw into the junction box. I will check if the size and thread are the same. It would save me $158 if I only had to change the hoses and fittings.
      I measured the existing lines on the bike, including the slack, then added 2."
      I will check with the shop what points they actually measure between to make sure I am measuring them correctly.
      I will let you know how I get on.
      Thanks again
      Al

Comment

• docmel
        • May 2015

Send us pics of what you are running now that is too short. I beleive you might be over thinking.........Cant tell till I see what ya got now to be sure

Comment

• docmel
          • May 2015

Do you have the 1988 OEM front brake lines?

If so, your two lower front brake lines that go from the junction block (its just under the lower fork tree) are attached to the block with inverted flare fittings) NOTE: Later models had the junction block and the upper part of the front brake lines in one molded peice so you cant remove them from the block

In your case you are in luck: All you need are TWO other lines, (go metal), that attaches from the top of your existing brake lines and then goes into the junction block

I beleive you will need the extensions with inverted flares on both ends, one male, the other end female (double check)

They make the exensions in metal with chrome finish, and you can get them straight, 45, 90 degree bends, and all angles/lengths in between. Super cheap, maybe $20 a piece

Or "make" your own. Go to your local auto parts store. Take your junction block and one brake line with you

Ask to look at all their hard brake lines in the back (they usually hang in a rack by size) tell em its a custom installation, dont even try to explain what its going on

First match the ends that you need. Be sure they are male or female, whichever the case is (Remember one end will fit in the brake line, the other into the junction block

Make sure the pitch of the ends are correct. The brake line end and the junction block end should be the same size and pitch: (be aware some sizes WILL fit each other but will be just a tad loose = wrong match, so double check

Then look for the length you need that they have. Carefully bend as needed (Be careful, easy to kink)

Get a simple brake line bender while you are there for like $10. The two attachments you need MIGHT cost $20 total

Your lines dont have rare or wacky pitch and size, so finding one will be easy Ask me how I know...

Comment

• Altan
            • Sep 2017

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.
            I didn’t realised you had written new posts.
            Thanks.
            I haven’t heard of brake line extensions before. Any chance you have pic?
            In NZ we can’t use ‘home made’ brake lines. The end fittings have to be professionally done and permanently fitted.
            The B&H system passes because the end parts on the hose are permanent. The argument is that the fittings are screwed into them in the same way the hoses screw into the junction box.
            I was looking at the size of the B&H fitting size and they are 3/8 by 24. I am guessing the 24 is the pitch of the thread.
            The length of the lines, fitting to fitting is 19 1/4 inches, including slack I am guessing I only need another 2” for the lowers (the extra length of the forks)
            Click image for larger version

Name:	6E12856B-5525-44C5-B1DF-9F33822EA929.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1323380
            Click image for larger version

Name:	C7FB7B88-7522-4782-AEC4-EB7F3DBE45F1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1323379
            Last edited by Altan; 01-15-2023, 11:26 PM. Reason: Add pic

Comment

• docmel
              • May 2015

I dont beleive thats a OEM system set up by the fittings at the junction block end of your brake lines. Looks to me someone put a short male end fitting into the block to fit the brake lines and junction block?

Anyhow, here is one example of what I was taking about. It may/may not work with what you have now: They come in dif angles, lengths and end types
              Attached Files

Comment

• docmel
                • May 2015

Another look shows your lines and caliper arent an OEM system. Your best bet: Just get replacement lines that have the same ends you have now, just longer......To ensure you get the correct size/pitch, maybe someone can ID what you have now: It looks familiar, I just cant place a make/model

Comment

• docmel
                  • May 2015

One last thought. If you are changing out handlebars, you might need the line that goes from the junction block to the front master cylinder to be longer as well

Comment

• Altan
                    • Sep 2017

Yeah, I'll see if the B&H system fittings will fit the junction box, and then get 2" longer lines.
                    I will get a longer line for the bars too.
                    I'll let you know how I go.
                    Cheers

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;