Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mandreas
    • Jun 2010

'73 Bonneville electrical help!

Just finished re-putting together a rad old 70s barn find and everything seems to be in place. I got it running briefly when I got it a few months ago, but then broke most of it back down. Now it looks like a motorcycle again, only it won't goddam run.

Compression is totally decent and I wired in a new headlamp and tail light, but didn't do too much in the way of the rest of the electrical system. I put in new plugs, a new gel battery (12v), and figured that since it ran before I broke it down everything ought to be in order. I get a small-ish spark on both cylinders, the points open and close (although I haven't messed with the timing yet), but it just won't fire up.

My last idea was that the coils and/or condensers got blown out in the few months they were off the bike. Anyone got any ideas? Any thoughts on those new Nology coils? I imagine new condensers will be under $30 bucks or so, so it'd be worth it to just swap em out.

I'd love some advice. Thanks ahead of time.
  • Torch
    • Jul 2009

you did connect the battery up as a positive ground, right?

Comment

• mandreas
      • Jun 2010

Yep, positive ground. I forgot to mention that I'm running a Tympanium, which to the best of my knowledge is in good shape.
      So, positive ground, no obvious shorts or weirdness, and a fully charged battery. Time for new coils and condensers?

Comment

• mandreas
        • Jun 2010

Now I feel like an asshole. Coils and condensers appear good. Found a fuel line issue instead. All fixed. Thanks.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;