CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default good quality cutoff wheels? or discs

Hey, I'm wondering whose got some opinions or leads on decent quality cost effective cutoff wheels? Of course, I want one that cuts everything, lasts forever, and is cheap! Who doesn't right?

I'm talking about the ones for an arbor in an air grinder, like a 1/4" hole? Not sure off the top of my head. At any rate, I've used plenty at work, and they usually seem to last forever, at least cutting aluminum, fiberglass, etc. I've never paid much attention to what they were, though.

I know I had this big one, must have been 4" or 5" diameter, and while I didn't like the flex (I guess from it being so big.. it freaked me out but never broke) it didn't even seem phased by 1/8" aluminum plate. My grinder could have been more powerful for that.. but the wheel didn't look like it had been used. I remember looking at the brand, but I've forgotten.

Laid off now, so I need to figure out where to find this shit myself!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Those little ones suck. I use a cheapo harbor freight grinder with dewalt xrp (I think it's xrp) cut off wheels. They're the best wheels I've used. DONT USE HF CUTOFF WHEELS!

Get Adobe Flash player

i dont know the name but i get mine at the welding supply shop..air gas...they seem to last a long time!

Get Adobe Flash player

Pferd or high performance dewalt wheels.

Get Adobe Flash player

+1 for Airgas, I never had one break on me in a craftsman grinder

Get Adobe Flash player

I will say I don't buy the cheap flap wheels, grinding wheels or cut off wheels cause they wear out like mad. As far as those little cut off wheels the 3m ones don't impress me much. But I may demand too much... I may have to momentarily pause my boycott of airgas for research purposes!

Get Adobe Flash player

I use the ones that wurth sales. the thinner the better

Get Adobe Flash player

Walter ( www.walter.com) "Zip Wheel" cut off wheels are IMHO the best you can get.
    I use them on my die grinder and my 5 1/2" grinder. They are thin, tough, last a long time, and will cut damn near anything you put them to

Get Adobe Flash player

I'll check the brand when I get home but I get mine from our body shop...They come in a box of 500 and when they place the order from the paint supplier I toss an extra box on the list and it costs like 30 bucks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by crawler65 View Post
    Walter ( www.walter.com) "Zip Wheel" cut off wheels are IMHO the best you can get.
    I use them on my die grinder and my 5 1/2" grinder. They are thin, tough, last a long time, and will cut damn near anything you put them to
    +1

Get Adobe Flash player

i like the Sait brand wheels which can be found at aigas

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by vnygra View Post
    DONT USE HF CUTOFF WHEELS!
    Ever since they put an HF 3 minutes from my place, that is all I have been using... I just always though the wheel was supposed to get smaller at the same rate you are cutting...

Time to get something else on there. The grinders themselves are great though. Best 15 bucks I have ever spent at that place.

kokopelli

Quote Originally Posted by BillyT View Post
    Ever since they put an HF 3 minutes from my place, that is all I have been using... I just always though the wheel was supposed to get smaller at the same rate you are cutting...

Time to get something else on there. The grinders themselves are great though. Best 15 bucks I have ever spent at that place.
    Ha! I was getting ready to say the same thing! I was cutting a fender yesterday with my HF cut-off wheels and i could literally watch the wheel get smaller and smaller as I cut!

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Whiz wheel....

Never noticed,always got them for free where I was employed at the time.....

aaronc

I use the dewalt ones on my diegrinder and they work great.I use the masterforce on the my 5" angle grinder.Watch that approach angle cause man I had em explode.One came apart and hit me in the sack,scariest shit ever.

Get Adobe Flash player

DeWalt ones are pretty cheap hear at the Farm and Fleet. Can't beat 'em. Cut great, last awhile, come in different thickness' and most importantly, I never had one explode or fly apart on me.. They even sell em at the HF by me.

aaronc

The one that came apart was a masterforce on a 5" grinder and I hit a sharp edge and BAM straight to the ground.Fuck I thought I was bleeding all over but it was just the sweats from the impact.

Get Adobe Flash player

Metabo makes a pretty solid cut off wheel. Norton grinding wheels are also pretty stout. We get them from Fastenal..
    Last edited by doublearon; 06-18-2011 at 4:11 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by HoriCory View Post
    DeWalt ones are pretty cheap hear at the Farm and Fleet. Can't beat 'em. Cut great, last awhile, come in different thickness' and most importantly, I never had one explode or fly apart on me.. They even sell em at the HF by me.
    X2!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

+1 on the norton cutoff wheels, they last forever granted you are cutting mild steel. if you are cutting stainless or aluminum you might try a zirconia wheel.

anyone ever had a wheel blow up on them?

i was helping a buddy out with something. HF cutoff wheel on $30 makita grinder, no gloves or eye protection (stupid). almost shit myself when it came apart, got lucky there.

Share This