Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DIMEmattje
    • Jun 2011

Converting shaft driven to chain.

I have an 85 Maxim XJ700 that I want to convert from shaft to chain. I have never done any thing like this so I could use some advise from some of the more experienced grease monkeys. Im sure any little tid bits will help. ASWELL I want to lower it and keep shocks on it. But where the fuck to get shocks? Yes this is my first bobber project so take it a little easy on me. Thanks
  • TRUMPNUT
    • Jul 2009

I think this belongs in the Jap section .
    On most Japanese shaft drive bikes you can remove the bevel gear and housing . The counter shaft is splined just like the chain model so you can just put a sprocket off of the countershaft . The swing arm and rear wheel will need replaced . You alos have to redirect the oil flow that used to go to the bevel gears .
    It would be way cheaper to just buy a bike that already has a chain drive and is lower .

Comment

• turtlem1969
      • Sep 2010

If al your doing is lowering it a little with the shocks and not stretching it any in the rear stick with the shaft, less maintenance and you don't have to worry about it stretching and wearing out. As far as shocks go, go to your local indy dealer and they should be able to order you something shorter that will fit, they should have at least a half dozen or so different catalogs to go thru.

Comment

• d1long85
        • Jun 2011

shaft drive will run forever no maintence it seems like it would be too much hassel depending on what you want to do to this

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;