CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Texas and New Mexico

Looking into moving to the El Paso or Las Cruces area and was wondering if anyone knows first hand if you have to have turn signals in either state. I heard Texas is a pain in the ass when it comes to D.M.V related stuff.

Thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

No signals in TX, but make sure you have a horn of some sort. Shit they'll let you get away with a squeeze horn off a bicycle as long as you've got it. Really not too tough beyond that.

Get Adobe Flash player

Not sure about the turn signals, good question cuz I'm bringing my chop down from NC this year cuz I'm moving back to El Paso and I'm not putting any turn signals. But I can say Las Cruces is boring as shit, El Paso rules. Either way watch out for those Fronche drivers. If you don't know what I mean, you'll find out.

Get Adobe Flash player

Not required to have blinkers. If they are on the bike , they must work. thats the only stipulation. No helmet as long as you have an endorsement. Texas is biker friendly.

Get Adobe Flash player

Texas you need, front and rear brake, mirror, tail light, Head light, horn ( a real horn not a squeaky one ) brake light off the rear ( foot ) brake.

Depends where you go though, some people want baffles also.

FYI. my bike is missing 3 out of the sentence and I get it passed every year. Most people will put a horn and mirror on just for inspection then just take them right back off.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the info guys! Both of my bikes are still wired for signals but the stock ones ended up in the trash. I was just going to start planning to pick up some aftermarket stuff if needed. As for the rest of the lights and horn I'm good.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
    Not sure about the turn signals, good question cuz I'm bringing my chop down from NC this year cuz I'm moving back to El Paso and I'm not putting any turn signals. But I can say Las Cruces is boring as shit, El Paso rules. Either way watch out for those Fronche drivers. If you don't know what I mean, you'll find out.
    I've been down there enough to know what you mean about the drivers. Yeah Las Cruces is kinda Granny & Grampsville.

Get Adobe Flash player

I got mine inspected in EP with a chrome bicycle squeeze horn ziptied to the handlebars. No blinkers. I think state law is that IF you have them, they have to work. Other than that, Hi/Low beams, brake light, and demonstrate the bike can brake.

Get Adobe Flash player

I used a bicycle horn once or twice to get my bike passed by inspection and no signals.

Get Adobe Flash player

NM - no turn signals

Get Adobe Flash player

I've seen lots of bike around El Paso and Las Cruces without any of the mentioned gear. I know that when I was shopping around for insurance, the insurance company wanted me to have the turn signals because the bike came with them. Most inspection stations are cool and the cops aren't that bad either. Lots of riding year round as well. When do you move back???

Get Adobe Flash player

inspection in texas changes from county to county. generally you need a headlight, brake/tail light, licenceplate light, a working brake and horn (if orginially equipped with one). in dfw you are required to have an odeometer for documentions sake. if you want skip all of that register it as a vintage motorcycle and you don't need an inspection at all. i registered as a classic and was told i don't need an inspection when i went to get one, not sure if that is correct, guess i'll find out when i get pulled over.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by orphan68 View Post
    I've seen lots of bike around El Paso and Las Cruces without any of the mentioned gear. I know that when I was shopping around for insurance, the insurance company wanted me to have the turn signals because the bike came with them. Most inspection stations are cool and the cops aren't that bad either. Lots of riding year round as well. When do you move back???
    I should be there by September at the latest, I have a interview this weekend so if all goes well it may before.

Get Adobe Flash player

Lived in New Mexico for a bit and bought the bike in El Paso. New Mexico don't give a shit, as long as you have working headlight, taillight, and a license plate. I lived in Alamogordo, so visiting Las Cruces and El Paso was like being in NYC.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Lbfam730 View Post
    Lived in New Mexico for a bit and bought the bike in El Paso. New Mexico don't give a shit, as long as you have working headlight, taillight, and a license plate. I lived in Alamogordo, so visiting Las Cruces and El Paso was like being in NYC.
    I lived in el chuco (El Paso for those who dont know) during my high school years, and skated all over that place, those were some crazy times fuck we would leave school at noon and go to Juarez and drink n drown. ha,ha. Still have lots of family there. If your ever in the segundo barrio (not sure why you would be) my uncles (RIP) house has a cool mural on the side with his chevy and panhead painted on it he was an old biker and founder of the Ironhorses MC. I wish i wasnt such a fuck off skate rat at the time and didnt care about anything but skating to appriciate his knowledge and all.

Lbfam, did you like Alamogordo? I hate that place my parents live there now and its so depressing in that town. ELP is like NYC compared to that place. ha,ha

Get Adobe Flash player

Alamogordo was the worst place i've ever visited/lived. I was there for 10 months and couldn't stand it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Lbfam730 View Post
    Alamogordo was the worst place i've ever visited/lived. I was there for 10 months and couldn't stand it.

ha,ha ha yeah thats what i thought. I hate that place. Though I was up in Ruidoso last summer and I saw a sick chopper real good looking bike and was way suprised because it was a local thats for sure.

Get Adobe Flash player

I m in albuquerque and don't have signal horn speedo or mirrors, never had a problem.

Get Adobe Flash player

I havnt had signal lights or horn on either of my bikes. Im in Ruidoso NM. There is a small group here that run chop cult style stuff.
    Here there is a big population of retired folks. i was lucky enough to meet a transplant retiree thats a vintage harley guru. He's kinda become a metor of sorts.
    I'm not a huge fan of Cruses or of New Mexico anymore(ive been here 15 years). Its just a little to small town anymore and pretty low class. But that being said the riding is pretty damn good.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good luck on your interview Travis and hope to see ya 'round.

Share This