Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lamp
    • Oct 2009

Triumph Oiling Troubles

I’ve watched both of Wes’s videos (let me tell you if you’re a noob and need some help these videos are outstanding) and used the factory manual to put my 68 Bonneville back together. If efforts to prime the engine with oil before initial startup I filled the oil tank with oil and have kicked and kicked and kicked however I’m not getting any return oil out of the engine.
    Before I installed the oil pump I did the checks Wes recommends and all seemed good. I have made sure that my oil lines are connected properly (front=feed, rear=return), I have even opened the oil drain plug on the bottom of the engine and some fresh engine oil was in there, but not sure if there was enough in the engine to start to feed the scavenge oil return line.

It is usually to have to kick it tons to get the return to flow oil?
    So before I go ripping off the timing cover does any one have any suggestions?
    Last edited by Lamp; 10-11-2009, 8:48 AM.
  • KT
    • Aug 2009

open the hole were the TDC tool goes and pour some oil in there to help prime the bottom half....shoot some oil in on your rockers to help the top be oiled on first fire up ...atleast thats what I like to do just incase oil doesnt make it up there in the first minute it fires up

Comment

• bhead1968
      • Aug 2009

Put it in gear and walk it up and down the block.... and a minimum of 40 kicks..... I put clear oil lines just to be sure you see the oil, if not you can shut it down quick.

Comment

• Sinner6T
        • Aug 2009

Take your feed line off your oil tank, hold a clean rag against the spout of an oil gun and squirt into the feed line until you meet resistance and pressure builds. Turn the motor over with the kick starter until the pressure releases, and continue to pump until your gun is empty. This primes the system through the oil pump, the place you want it to go. After that, hook your feed line back up to your tank, fill it, and walk your bike around the block with the plugs out, or kick forever until you get a return feed. Also, prime your rockers by hand.

Once the motor fires, block the return line with your finger for a couple seconds to force feed oil pressure up the scavenge line to feed the rockers. When you let it go it will shoot with some good pressure, if all is well with your pump. Keep the faith!

Comment

• Choppedtriumphs
          • Aug 2009

Sounds kinda like you're not sure wich line is wich , If youre not; You can take a CLEAN coffee can of oil and place it under your oil lines, submerge both lines in the oil, remove the spark plugs and gently kick it over, you should notice bubbles comming from the return side..
          doing this will insure that the oil pump is working,...and if theres any debis in your oiling system(HOPEFULLY) it will end up in the can instead of your tank,..

REMEMBER the oil pressure is regulated between the pump and the crankshaft by means of the oil pressure relief valve..(no pressure= no oil,....)

ALSO double check your lines make double sure they're not collapsed in on the insides if they are you can kick till the cows come home and still not get any oil..

Comment

• Lamp
            • Oct 2009

Well I did some checking and my oil lines were hooked up right so I followed Sinner’s method of priming the feed line then kicking the bike over after what seemed endless filling and kicking…filling and kicking I got the oil to come out of the return line. Now the system is primed I just need to find someone in the area that can cut down my throttle cable and I’m getting closer to starting the bike.

Comment

• KT
              • Aug 2009

cut it down yourself it isnt hard all you need is silver solder some small copper wire and a map torch here watch this you'll see ...

Comment

• Sinner6T
                • Aug 2009

Here's the how-to on greatest hits for throttle cables. Step by step + video = success! Do it yourself, it's easier than driving to someone's shop.

figured id share this here - i agree we need more tech / build stuff - only one way thats going to happen - we post it.... a friend of mine asked me to show him how to make up cables so he didnt have to either pay out for custom cables or have yards of spare on his bike. its fairly self explanitory, but like all stuff -

Comment

• FUJay1313
                  • Nov 2009

NO oil pressure after she warms up!!!!

I felt like hijacking this thread since it did speck of Triumph oil problems.........

Well I got some of my own, in simple...
                  At start up she's got 80psi... then warms up, levels out to 25 30psi....... Get on the road, first stop light ((( 0psi )))

Ive changed the crankshaft oil seal, an checked the pressure release valve, an even put washers inside the plunger... The psi running in 3rd is like 30ish... But even wide open she only reads 35 40....

What else could it be....?

Hope this made any sense...
                  F.U.Jay

Comment

• KT
                    • Aug 2009

hrm oil pump not sumping? Have you pulled the rocker feed line and started it for just a second to see if oil is flowing throughout the system? ....I have a clear piece I insert to watch oil flow in the return lines for awhile so I know everything is cool ...before I run regular black lines.... and make sure the flow is strong...I mean it is a free sump so dont expect mass oil flow or something but it should have a good thump to it flowing ...make any sense? ...possible worn out pump? or arms the pump rides in /on ?

Comment

• FUJay1313
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by KT
                      hrm oil pump not sumping? Have you pulled the rocker feed line and started it for just a second to see if oil is flowing throughout the system? ....I have a clear piece I insert to watch oil flow in the return lines for awhile so I know everything is cool ...before I run regular black lines.... and make sure the flow is strong...I mean it is a free sump so dont expect mass oil flow or something but it should have a good thump to it flowing ...make any sense? ...possible worn out pump? or arms the pump rides in /on ?
                      Why didnt I think of that.....Thanks for the tip....

Comment

• ClassicCycles
                        • Jul 2009

How is your gauge hooked up?? Is it a gel/oil filled?? Maybe it's having problems reading correctly when vibrating. You will only have a little pressure at idle when it's warmed up.

Are you getting good return oil to the tank?

Also, like KT said maybe worn pump. But everything else checks good - good oil pressure when starting cold and good oil pressure when wide open.

Andy

Comment

• Moparkevin
                          • Jan 2011

I too am having this no oil coming out of my oil pump.. going to try the 4th gear down the block with the plugs out ..

Comment

• starwolf
                            • Apr 2024

Here are some thoughts , if you have return oil , don't worry about the pressure , it is going to fluctuate ,yes it is likely going to drop to 0-5 PSI at a dead stop, and increase as you resume or increase RPM's , this is relatively common ,and shouldn't be of too much concern.

if you dont have return oil after a minute or three of running,say @ somewhere around 1500-2500 RPM range ,kill it & find out why

sidenote**Tho I can not be 100% certain on this, I think I read somewhere that the oil pump on these older Trumpets(Triples in specific, tho I would think it would apply to a Twin also) dont even open until around 1500 RPM, thus no oil to rockers ,low pressure ,possible no return at lower RPMs 600-1500 RPM , as RPM's are increased, pressure rises thus opening the oil pump ,increasing flow , I have read in particular about the Triple engine and cross drilling the crankshaft for another oil path , (I wont be drilling my crankshaft just yet) I am uncertain if this corrects this issue or not.
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2011, 7:55 PM.

Comment

• Moparkevin
                              • Jan 2011

all good and flowing, thanks all who helped..

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;