CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Death Wobble

ARBY

Madav8tr

100,000 plus miles on late model Harley touring bikes and I have experienced the well documented wallow on long sweeping curves but nothing that resembles a "death wobble". My guess is that someone that isn't familiar with that particular handling anamoly on modern Harleys could easily panic and make an annoying situation into something more. The case listed in the article has been well discussed in my circles and the general consensus is that rider error was more to blame for that particular accident than the design flaw with the motorcycle.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

All I know is this...I have owned two Road Kings and a Street Glide and all have been rock solid in the curves.Some of the the other Harleys I have owned would shake their heads when really pushed hard but that is to be expected.A friend I ride with rides the shit out of his Ultra with no ill effects but thats not to say it cant or doesnt happen.Lots of things can cause a wobble,neck bearings,tire pressure,wind deflection off surfaces,swingarm bushings,or a host of other things.Harley aint perfect but in this age I doubt if they are going to knowing let an unsafe bike out the door.

Joneo

Seen aguy on v65 magna one day ,blowing by me at 80 plus,front wheel shakeing like shit..Next thing i see ,is him busting ass, in the gravel side of road/i stopped he was tore up,, he said,,,I JUST GOT FRONT TIRE MOUNTED TODAY...didn,t ask him if it was BALANCED ..could tell,it wasn,t..death wobble,,almost,, for him,,

Get Adobe Flash player

"I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. I wasn't doing anything I hadn't done a thousand times before. I had been on that road a couple hundred times," Costa said.
    Costa said his speed was about 25-30 mph when, "The whole bike started shaking. I had no idea why the bike was vibrating like that, and it wasn't a little vibrating. I never felt anything like that in my life."

OK, I GOTA point out the obvious here........unless it's a head on with a bus or the like, how the HELL do you fuck your self up THAT bad at 25-30mph?!?!? That aside, I just can't see HD putting out a bike that is that out of shape under normal conditions at those speeds, and I'm a TRIUMPH rider for shits sake! This sounds a LOT like all the shit Suzuki got for the Samurai back in the day, that was later proved to be a bunch of bull shit generated by pusses that have no clue what to do with what they bought.
    Just my $.02

Get Adobe Flash player

i've installed several of glide pro's replacement isolators on these models of bikes , and every single owner has been much happier with the performance of their suspension afterwards
    in fact a few owners also had me retrofit their swingarms to the 02 and up forged end swingarm to eliminate
    the cracking problem common to the 80-01 swingarm using the retrofit kit from custom cycle engineering
    great products both

Get Adobe Flash player

Hell, you can create a wobble simply by the way you pack your saddlebags.

ARBY

[QUOTE=crawler65;172351...
    OK, I GOTA point out the obvious here........unless it's a head on with a bus or the like, how the HELL do you fuck your self up THAT bad at 25-30mph?!?!? [/QUOTE]

He went off the road and down into a gulch.

Get Adobe Flash player

Mama always said motorcycles were dangerous. "Death Wobble" has a nice ring to it.

Feel bad for that dude... he's hurtin. Props to the investigative journalist for being able to do a little research, string it all togeather in paragraphs and work up a catchy "hook".... all those classes in college paid off. Reads way better than..... "Tuesday a Guy Wrecked His Motorcycle"

Fuck you Channel 5. Glad to hear the guy lived, better than they usually do in Pheonix
    Last edited by oildevil13; 05-21-2011 at 6:41 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

not knocking anyone here, but if it were me on that bike (or any) that was doing that and i KNEW i couldnt hold it, i learned a long time ago to get away from the bike. he went into the ravine, so if i saw that then id be kicking away from the bike and ravine as much as i could.

that being said, i wasnt the one that wrecked so it cold be different.

Share This